: Found my new 13 on bricks yesterday

nunii
07-23-13, 07:26 PM
My invoice states that I had dealer installed wheel locks that I paid $110.. But apparently they did not install them now I have to come out of pocket $1000 for my deductible..do you guys think I have a case against caddilac to try and force them to pay it?

----------

URL=http://s785.photobucket.com/user/anun123/media/IMAG0015.jpg.html]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy136/anun123/IMAG0015.jpg[/URL]

----------

Does anyone use gorilla wheel locks are they any good? And what's a good alarm that can send a message to my phone ?

MoistCabbage
07-23-13, 07:31 PM
That SUCKS!!! Looks like the skirts might be damaged as well.

Wheel locks won't stop a determined thief deterrent. Unfortunately, GM isn't responsible for someone stealing the rims, just like they're responsible for someone stealing a car with a factory immobilizer.

nunii
07-23-13, 07:39 PM
No they are not responsible for the rim ! But they are responsible to put lock on my car if they charged me for it

JKG
07-23-13, 07:40 PM
That sucks so much. I would definitely bring it up with the dealer -

That is an example of "People suck". Sorry for the negative energy, but attacking a man's car is just BS.

nynd
07-23-13, 07:41 PM
Ouch! That sucks big time! Your definitely going to have some more damage than meets the eye! Gorilla is a good company (California) and I had bought locks from them. No matter what, if they want they rims, they'll get them. Most of these locks stick out enough that you can use a pair of vise-grips on them - end of story. Again, if they want them, they'll get them.

nunii
07-23-13, 07:43 PM
Better idea! I need to move the hell out of this hell hole that is brooklyn this is the 3rd time in 10 years

shchow
07-23-13, 07:48 PM
That's horrible!
It was painful seeing your picture.
Hope the perps get what's coming to them!

nunii
07-23-13, 07:54 PM
Ouch! That sucks big time! Your definitely going to have some more damage than meets the eye! Gorilla is a good company (California) and I had bought locks from them. No matter what, if they want they rims, they'll get them. Most of these locks stick out enough that you can use a pair of vise-grips on them - end of story. Again, if they want them, they'll get them. body shop got the car today only damage is the rocker panels plus the obvious !

neuronbob
07-23-13, 08:15 PM
Holy wow. BTW, wheel locks would only have slowed the thieves down.

If you are going to purchase some, Gorilla are very good.

Caddilack
07-23-13, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hear that. That is a really painful picture to look at. Maybe you should garage it (or move like you said). If this is the third time...

spearfish25
07-23-13, 08:19 PM
If it's parked close enough to your place to get your home wifi signal, time for an internet cam. You can set it up to alert you to motion detection, sound, etc.

Houdini
07-23-13, 08:22 PM
I have gorilla locks on my weld racing setup...they seem like a good solid product but like others said they can still be taken.

warmwater
07-23-13, 08:30 PM
Wow that was shocking to see sorry about the loss, lots of good alarm systems that can send a txt message or email and sense the car being moved, the alarm would be going off but who knows if that would stop them, it could have taken all of a few min. Video surveillance might be a deterrent.
Good luck.

Trapspeed
07-23-13, 08:41 PM
Few things suck as bad as this. I hope the bastards get hit by a runaway garbage truck. It'll make cleaning the carcasses all the easier. I wish you luck. Yeah, adios NY.

IBMike
07-24-13, 03:16 AM
Damn, that sucks! If you've got a good dealer and can prove they didn't put the locks on they might do the right thing and work something out with you.

turbol15
07-24-13, 03:16 AM
Where in Brooklyn are you?

BklynEXT
07-24-13, 03:51 AM
I'm in Dyker Heights. Been seeing a lot of this lately.

Kmajecki
07-24-13, 06:22 AM
That really sucks man. Are your rotors ok? Find them on Craigslist yet?

nunii
07-24-13, 07:55 AM
I'm in Bergen beach

sykb47l
07-24-13, 07:58 AM
How do you know the locks werent on?

Edit: Nevermind they didnt take the lugs.

turbol15
07-24-13, 08:04 AM
see a lot of maxima's with wheels gone

cdog533
07-25-13, 02:43 PM
Buy a 79 El Camino until you get a place with a garage....

Faith76
07-25-13, 11:08 PM
Buy a 79 El Camino until you get a place with a garage....

They'd steal it and use it as a ghetto hot tub.

1997BlackETC
07-25-13, 11:20 PM
I doubt you'd have a case with the dealer. Like you said, just get the hell outta there, move to CT or something and commute. I hate even driving driving through that area, I'm afraid they are going to steal my wheels at a traffic light. Sorry for your loss, that must be a really bad feeling of being violated, it's just wrong on so many levels.

Ctsonboost
07-26-13, 12:37 AM
That sucks bro sorry I am from dyker I see this shit all the time sucks

dennych
07-26-13, 01:11 AM
sucks...

jzchen
07-26-13, 05:19 AM
My invoice states that I had dealer installed wheel locks that I paid $110.. But apparently they did not install them now I have to come out of pocket $1000 for my deductible..do you guys think I have a case against caddilac to try and force them to pay it?

----------

URL=http://s785.photobucket.com/user/anun123/media/IMAG0015.jpg.html]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy136/anun123/IMAG0015.jpg[/URL]

----------

Does anyone use gorilla wheel locks are they any good? And what's a good alarm that can send a message to my phone ?

Hmmm. No wheel locks and they got stolen. I'm sure there are a few lawyers around here???

I use the Gorilla "The System". Every bolt is a lock. Not sure but I think it wouldn't be fun trying to steal them with these on. I haven't found anyone has tried to steal my wheels yet, but the car is garaged most of the time in the back. They are available in chrome or black chrome as I can see from their application guide. I posted these before somewhere, but just in case they are hard to find this is how they look:

http://s771.photobucket.com/user/jzchen2276/library/CTS-V%20wheel%20locks

I got the notorious wheel clicking once. Waited over night for them to cool and re-torqued the bolts and it hasn't come back. Low mileage car though....

You can get them reasonably priced using price comparison websites, ie. shopzilla, pricegrabber, nextag....

Hope this helps. I've been to Brooklyn a few times now. Wow......

Bridgette2013
07-26-13, 11:27 AM
They'd steal it and use it as a ghetto hot tub.

Lol!!!

M5eater
07-26-13, 11:52 AM
[/COLOR]Does anyone use gorilla wheel locks are they any good? And what's a good alarm that can send a message to my phone ?
Were they on the car? Did you even check that they were given you paid $110 for them?
If so, no, not a chance. Even if they were not, no, not a chance. Wheel locks discourage wheel theft, they don't 100% prevent it. Nothing will to a determined person. Cadillac isn't responsible for a random act of violence.

Now, what you might do, is go complain to customer service that even with the locks(better if they weren't installed), you still incurred a theft. They may do a customer satisfaction gesture of some kind for you as a good customer, but otherwise, find $1000. I would be shocked if they did this even. They have no responsibility for this loss, at all.

Hmmm. No wheel locks and they got stolen. I'm sure there are a few lawyers around here???
You don't need a lawyer for this. This is common sense. Unless you believe people lack common sense and look to layers for ridiculous answers to tragic problems. I will agree with that.

jzchen
07-26-13, 12:45 PM
Were they on the car? Did you even check that they were given you paid $110 for them?
If so, no, not a chance. Even if they were not, no, not a chance. Wheel locks discourage wheel theft, they don't 100% prevent it. Nothing will to a determined person. Cadillac isn't responsible for a random act of violence.

Now, what you might do, is go complain to customer service that even with the locks(better if they weren't installed), you still incurred a theft. They may do a customer satisfaction gesture of some kind for you as a good customer, but otherwise, find $1000. I would be shocked if they did this even. They have no responsibility for this loss, at all.

You don't need a lawyer for this. This is common sense. Unless you believe people lack common sense and look to layers for ridiculous answers to tragic problems. I will agree with that.

I heard a story about someone breaking into a house, slipping on something on the stairs, and suing the owner. (Don't know the outcome though...)
My parents have been looking to get a swimming pool installed at the house for their grandson who loves to swim. Here in CA we have to get a pretty tall fence to surround it, just in case someone tries to go steal a swim, we'd be liable if they drown I guess.

I've missed something on delivery before, many times, even with experience. Sometimes you are focused on getting a good deal like I did with my wife last time. Locks could have helped. Talk to the dealer with those lugs in hand and they can do something if they want to keep you happy....

cdog533
07-26-13, 04:54 PM
Locks don't matter...

You got gripper sockets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGpuFwEKpUM

You got the ghetto way, which is just pound a 12pt socket over the wheel lock, use breaker bar.

You got this thing^^^^^^ 129937

All those will take off wheel locks.

DiamondWhtV
07-26-13, 05:55 PM
If you have all 20 lugs in hand showing no lug lock, then I would be willing to bet the dealer will work with you. For a dealer...it's kinda embarrassing to have something like this happen. They may not be legally obligated, but morally they usually do the right thing. Reputation in the car business means everything.

Sorry you had to visit the "Brick" one more time.

jzchen
07-27-13, 01:00 AM
Locks don't matter...

You got gripper sockets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGpuFwEKpUM

You got the ghetto way, which is just pound a 12pt socket over the wheel lock, use breaker bar.

You got this thing^^^^^^ 129937

All those will take off wheel locks.

The video shows a process that isn't quick. If all 5 are locks.....

Faith76
07-27-13, 01:07 AM
I'm so glad I live in rural Western NY sometimes.

M5eater
07-27-13, 09:07 AM
The video shows a process that isn't quick. If all 5 are locks.....
You're not thinking like a criminal.

these rims cost ~1900 retail.

Most people have just 1 lock lug per rim. Buy 4 gripper sockets, worry about removal later.

Or better yet, some people make it their career or part-time hobby. Ordering the actual keys from these companies isn't that hard to do. Or outright steal given most people keep the key in the glovebox.

Snotty Boom Body
07-27-13, 10:17 AM
The body shop that is repairing my fender and rim ordered a new front rim and the retail price from GM is $730 each.
I checked with another dealer and got the same price.
Parts direct is a little cheaper but you always run the risk of shipping damage.

So $730 times 4 rims = $2,920 for a set plus tax. Not cheap.
I'm going to get a set of Gorilla locks for peace of mind.

M5eater
07-27-13, 10:40 AM
The body shop that is repairing my fender and rim ordered a new front rim and the retail price from GM is $730 each.
Parts direct is a little cheaper but you always run the risk of shipping damage.

my mind was thinking the satin graphite rims for some reason. I'm guessing you have the chrome rims?

They're more expensive sounds like.

Faith76
07-28-13, 01:00 AM

did you try LKQ? They remanufacture OE rims. Call David 1800 258 0008 ext 6181

CavemanB52
07-28-13, 01:22 AM
I use to change tires when I was in college. Locks don't mean anything. They are literally as quick to take off as the lug itself. Sorry about your loss. I'm not aware of any locking system out there that would truely prevent this.

RaVeNous
07-28-13, 01:42 AM
Well on the positive side, even with a $1000 deductible, based on the manf. cost of the stock wheels at about $1000 each not including tires, you'll be able to either buy some real nice replacements, or some stockers off eBay and have enough for some other mods......also, since the age and wear of the tires can't be identified, you should claim full price for stock pilot super sports....don't forget to recover the value of the tires.

Sets of stock cts-V wheels go for $1000 all the time on forums and ebay. Get a check and do your own shopping.

taken
07-28-13, 05:17 PM
How did they tow it? Drag it up the flatbed or did they have a trick to prevent further damage?

Jinx
08-01-13, 02:41 PM
Wheel locks do add value -- they give technicians an excuse to delay working on a car "because we couldn't find your wheel key."

DiamondWhtV
08-02-13, 02:39 PM
Wheel locks do add value -- they give technicians an excuse to delay working on a car "because we couldn't find your wheel key."

LMAO...sounds like someone in the "know"....

I did use that excuse one time (service manager didn't find it as an excuse though)

Kerr
08-02-13, 03:04 PM
Id be so poed !

Before you file on ins, look around, you might be able to get a set off e bay that some one has upgraded wheels for what your out of pocket is. Or just pick up a killer set of aftermarket ones.. Granted you cand do HRE, or stuff like that. There is a Gray CTS-V here in town that is running a set of BBS wheels that are color matched its beautiful. Ill see if i can find a picture of the wheel, they are big spoke not the orginal bbs type.

they look sorta like this, and im sure if BBS makes them some one has coppied them lol..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-BBS-RGR-Wheels-/221261988322?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item33843e01e2&vxp=mtr#ht_273wt_1142

jzchen
08-03-13, 03:00 AM
You're not thinking like a criminal.

these rims cost ~1900 retail.

Most people have just 1 lock lug per rim. Buy 4 gripper sockets, worry about removal later.

Or better yet, some people make it their career or part-time hobby. Ordering the actual keys from these companies isn't that hard to do. Or outright steal given most people keep the key in the glovebox.

They'd need 20 for the Gorilla "The System". (I am thinking like a criminal.) The key could be in the interior, or the trunk, 50/50, but then the alarm starts up... I must admit I don't know how easy it is to get all possible keys...

I use to change tires when I was in college. Locks don't mean anything. They are literally as quick to take off as the lug itself. Sorry about your loss. I'm not aware of any locking system out there that would truely prevent this.

Unfortunately if this is true then "The System" is probably only worth the fact that my car doesn't have the dreaded clicking problem....

CavemanB52
08-03-13, 03:44 AM
I got lug from the dealer that were Teflon coated and haven heard a click since.

----------

Free

Jinx
08-03-13, 01:51 PM
They'd need 20 for the Gorilla "The System". (I am thinking like a criminal.) The key could be in the interior, or the trunk, 50/50, but then the alarm starts up...

If you're parking where wheel theft is a problem, you're parking where people ignore car alarms.

elevated
08-03-13, 02:26 PM
Does insurance cover the tires too? If you were due new tires anyway, then you will come out far ahead with a new set of Pilot Sports for $1000.

CavemanB52
08-03-13, 04:36 PM
Does insurance cover the tires too? If you were due new tires anyway, then you will come out far ahead with a new set of Pilot Sports for $1000.

Yup. While you are at it. Maybe try those new 305 35 Nitto DRs. :)

elevated
08-03-13, 06:54 PM
Hell, if insurance covers tires, i'm going to drive up to Brooklyn and hope the same thing occurs. Can you give us the address?! haha.

CavemanB52
08-03-13, 07:01 PM
It must. They took those too right. Or did they conveniently stack those to the side? I could use some new tires too. Good thing I'm moving to another economically struck town. Vegas. Maybe ill leave it down town somewhere. Maybe I should just get a whole new car and park my car in Detroit. LOL. God help us.

jzchen
08-04-13, 06:14 AM
If you're parking where wheel theft is a problem, you're parking where people ignore car alarms.

I think this is very true!

I guess the only real solution is to have some kind of lift and take the wheels off yourself when you go in at night if you have to park the car outside.

My family lives with my parents in a pretty nice neighborhood. My wife being a practicing pediatrician for a few years now wasn't even able to afford a house in the area. I remember a friend, then an acquaintance, just moved to the neighborhood from Texas. I noticed he was leaving his portable navigation system on the dash. I was surprised, yet happy seeing it there, thinking someone might have broken in and stolen it. A couple of months later he told me that a window was broken somewhere in the city and someone had taken it. There a hoodlums everywhere I guess. Should have warned him!

DPL
08-05-13, 03:02 PM
Why is the car parked so weirdly?

V-Love
08-06-13, 04:34 PM
Where the hell do you live? I haven't seen that move in over 20 years!