: backlash and drivetrain clunk at low mph.

turbol15
07-23-13, 04:45 PM
if I am going less then 20mph and let foot off the gas and accelerate again I am getting this clunking nose in the rear end. seems like there is a lot of play. it goes away above 20mph. but there is also a banging noise every so often as I come to a compete stop. car has only 3100miles on it.

spearfish25
07-23-13, 05:03 PM
See your dealer. They'll replace some stuff. Not normal.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-23-13, 05:15 PM
if I am going less then 20mph and let foot off the gas and accelerate again I am getting this clunking nose in the rear end. seems like there is a lot of play. it goes away above 20mph. but there is also a banging noise every so often as I come to a compete stop. car has only 3100miles on it.

Hello turbol15,

I apologize for any trouble you are experiencing with your CTS-V. I recommend bringing your vehicle into your local dealership for a diagnosis. Please let me know what you decide to do; I would like to stay involved throughout this process and make sure your vehicle concern is taken care of.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

RGaret
07-23-13, 05:58 PM

My transmission started slipping and I only have 7,100 miles. Bring it to the dealer. They'll fix it. Sounds like a bad diff.

spearfish25
07-23-13, 09:22 PM
My diff was whining and I was noticing backlash when I'd let off throttle at highway speeds. Cruise control would get the backlash constantly. All better with the new diff my dealer installed.

Trapspeed
07-23-13, 09:43 PM
Documented cases of catastrophic failures at less than 10K miles. Get it addressed soon!

turbol15
07-23-13, 09:54 PM
thanks for replys

turbol15
07-24-13, 04:24 PM
anyone else have this problem and get a new diff?

Trapspeed
07-24-13, 06:45 PM
My diff had many other issues besides this. Took about a year but finally got one.

turbol15
07-24-13, 08:05 PM
would you care to elaborate?

Trapspeed
07-24-13, 09:06 PM
would you care to elaborate?

Sure. Low pitched whine at 35-40 under cruise. Had the fluid changed once, that didn't do it. When they finally got it apart they found a bearing all but grenaded, the gears were pitted and the unit was near failure. Thankfully the replacement did it.

turbol15
07-24-13, 09:35 PM
So I doubt they will change my diff. They prolly will say what I'm hearing is normal

CavemanB52
07-24-13, 09:39 PM
Had the same thing. Took about 6-9 months of saying it didn't sound right before they changed it. Does anyone know how much a diff replacement is if you paying out of pocket? Just curious.

Trapspeed
07-24-13, 09:54 PM
Had the same thing. Took about 6-9 months of saying it didn't sound right before they changed it. Does anyone know how much a diff replacement is if you paying out of pocket? Just curious.

If I recall from my invoice, I think the whole job was about 2K. Warrantied, of course.

So I doubt they will change my diff. They prolly will say what I'm hearing is normal

Don't settle for less than a new one. GM knows there's a problem so insist they fix it. My Service Manager didn't bat an eye after I approached the dealership again. Squeaky wheel syndrome may get it done. Persist but keep them on your side.

CavemanB52
07-24-13, 10:03 PM
If I recall from my invoice, I think the whole job was about 2K. Warrantied, of course.

Don't settle for less than a new one. GM knows there's a problem so insist they fix it. My Service Manager didn't bat an eye after I approached the dealership again. Squeaky wheel syndrome may get it done. Persist but keep them on your side.

Clarify... so if NOT warrentied due to modifications. It would cost $2000?

Trapspeed
07-24-13, 10:17 PM
List price on the carrier is about $1,900 and change. Add labor and parts....easily 2K. I'm sure one of the vendors can get it cheaper than list but you get the point.

CavemanB52
07-24-13, 10:26 PM
List price on the carrier is about $1,900 and change. Add labor and parts....easily 2K. I'm sure one of the vendors can get it cheaper than list but you get the point.

Thanks for the info. I don't have problems but I'm fearful due to I've already broke one... but it was under warranty. Now its on my dime.

Trapspeed
07-24-13, 10:56 PM
Roger that. I see what you mean.

turbol15
07-24-13, 11:03 PM
So let me say this again there should be absolutely no noise In the rearend at all. Correct? What about driveshaft? Is that supposed to be quiet at all speed? Seems like a clunk or play in the drive shaft. I can get the noise most of time. But I know once I get to the dealer I won't get the noise. Do they take it apart and examine it or just replace?

CavemanB52
07-24-13, 11:13 PM
They will replace it. And I don't have any noise anymore. The whine should only be from the blower. 1500 miles to break it in properly. No hard driving. I may be wrong on the specifics but keeping it under 4000 rpms should do it. Its hard to do but once its broke in properly... I'm told its damn near bullet proof. Phosphate rears get stronger with use is the way it was explained to me. Which makes sense if you have ever looked at metallurgy.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-25-13, 10:07 AM
So let me say this again there should be absolutely no noise In the rearend at all. Correct? What about driveshaft? Is that supposed to be quiet at all speed? Seems like a clunk or play in the drive shaft. I can get the noise most of time. But I know once I get to the dealer I won't get the noise. Do they take it apart and examine it or just replace?

Hello turbol15,

I understand how vehicle issues can be frustrating when you can't reproduce the noise when your vehicle is in at the dealership. Let me know if you do end up at the dealer. I want to make sure your vehicle issue is taken care of! I can be reached via private message and we can discuss any other concerns or questions also.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

They will replace it. And I don't have any noise anymore. The whine should only be from the blower. 1500 miles to break it in properly. No hard driving. I may be wrong on the specifics but keeping it under 4000 rpms should do it. Its hard to do but once its broke in properly... I'm told its damn near bullet proof. Phosphate rears get stronger with use is the way it was explained to me. Which makes sense if you have ever looked at metallurgy.

Hello CavemanB52,

Thank you for responding back to turbol15 and explaining the situation. I am happy to hear you had your vehicle issue taken care of and have not had any noise since then.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

turbol15
07-25-13, 03:23 PM
Took it in today and service guy says there is a 70% rule. They will either fix existing one or give me a new diff which to me is a load of bullshit

CavemanB52
07-25-13, 04:30 PM
Go to a different dealership. Thats a line o crap. That's a major repair. So the regional manager has to be involved. Ask to talk to him and here what he said. That my make them scratch their heads. When I had my diff replaced it was straight up told that those units are not repaired by the shop. They are a full unit and require a swap. You can't get individual internal parts replaced. So something smells at your dealership. Its probably coming out of their mouths.

neuronbob
07-25-13, 05:16 PM
Took it in today and service guy says there is a 70% rule. They will either fix existing one or give me a new diff which to me is a load of bullshit

70% rule? What on earth did they mean?

CavemanB52
07-26-13, 12:13 AM
Probably morons where 70% of the time they stop and look at the manufacturers recommendations to fix a certain problem. The other 30% they haven't a clue and send you on your way to see if you come back. Did you visit on a Friday or something? It must have been Miller time.

turbol15
07-26-13, 01:59 PM
so is any drive train noise acceptable?

CavemanB52
07-26-13, 05:30 PM
No. Its a louder than normal car but unless its from the engine or exhaust. No.