: Rear bumper, poor fit

spearfish25
07-23-13, 02:07 PM
Anyone else notice that the rear bumper on their V-wagon sticks out on the sides? Both sides of my rear bumper, where it comes to a point under the tail light, poke out a bit. It's flexible urethane, so I can push on it and it flexes into normal position. But its resting state is sticking out 1/4". Sigh.

FLTRI
07-23-13, 03:51 PM
Mine does too, left side only, about 1/8" I used my wife's Mega-Hairdryer to heat it up, and pushed it back flush. Lasted about a day until it worked it's way back out again...

RGaret
07-23-13, 04:56 PM
Anyone else notice that the rear bumper on their V-wagon sticks out on the sides? Both sides of my rear bumper, where it comes to a point under the tail light, poke out a bit. It's flexible urethane, so I can push on it and it flexes into normal position. But its resting state is sticking out 1/4". Sigh.

Mine does this too, only on the left side. I went to the dealer and it looks like all of the V cars have this issue. I've decided to live with it.

V-swagon
07-23-13, 04:58 PM
Mine is the same way on my 11 wagon.

mpouls1
07-23-13, 10:54 PM
it looks like all of the V cars have this issue...

this...beginning the first V2 rolled off the line.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-24-13, 09:20 AM
Hi all,

I apologize for the rear bumper sticking out on the sides. I understand how this can be annoying for everyone and I am sorry for those who went to the dealer and are choosing to live with it. If anyone has concerns or issues they would like to further discuss, please private message me!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

RGaret
07-24-13, 11:30 AM
Hi all,

I apologize for the rear bumper sticking out on the sides. I understand how this can be annoying for everyone and I am sorry for those who went to the dealer and are choosing to live with it. If anyone has concerns or issues they would like to further discuss, please private message me!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Laura,

For me at least, I understand it may be a design flaw and not something the dealer can fix. That's why I decided not to complain about it. All of the CTS-V's I saw at my dealer have the same issue.

spearfish25
07-24-13, 11:33 AM
Thanks Laura. Given this seems to be a broader manufacturing issue, I'm going to sit on it. If I feel motivated enough, I'll take off the bumper and epoxy a small aluminum strip to the inside of that area to hold it in better shape. A new bumper would mean painting by the dealer and color mismatch. Not worth it.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-24-13, 01:17 PM
Laura,

For me at least, I understand it may be a design flaw and not something the dealer can fix. That's why I decided not to complain about it. All of the CTS-V's I saw at my dealer have the same issue.

Hi RGaret,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. We appreciate our customer feedback. I am sorry there is not a current fix for your vehicle.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Thanks Laura. Given this seems to be a broader manufacturing issue, I'm going to sit on it. If I feel motivated enough, I'll take off the bumper and epoxy a small aluminum strip to the inside of that area to hold it in better shape. A new bumper would mean painting by the dealer and color mismatch. Not worth it.

Hey spearfish25,

You are welcome. If there was an available fix, I would be sure to let everyone know. I understand how issues with a vehicle are frustrating when there is no available or easy solution.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

mpouls1
07-24-13, 07:47 PM
I would rather just leave it alone, really don't notice at all. I would be more worried taking it to a dealer and being made worse, bumper scratched, etc. you know what I mean.

MPNX2
07-24-13, 10:07 PM
My 13 sedan has the same issue on the left side. I noticed it the other day in the garage.

Gman1023
07-27-13, 10:29 PM
Same here, both sides. The amount of protrusion does seem to fluctuate with temperature changes. It seems odd on this caliber of car but it is what it is. Old style GM fit and finish is not totally gone.

Blakester
07-28-13, 12:47 PM
My wagon had rrear bumper cover replaced(great allignment, only issue is driver side tail lite(top) align.

Jinx
07-28-13, 04:39 PM
Yeah, my rear bumper doesn't quite align with the quarterpanels either. It's basically flush at the lower end and protrudes slightly at the upper end, a little more on one side than the other.

I don't know that GM has ever gotten good alignment on any car in this area. It's probably an old-GM thing.

nucleus101
05-28-14, 01:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. Now I know it's a manufacturer issue. Since I bought a used cts, i was worried that the bumper was removed and fixed for whatever reason and put back on.

neuronbob
05-28-14, 10:19 PM
Mine is that way on the passenger side right behind the rear wheel.. I have simply ignored it as it doesn't affect function,

Tgonyaw
05-29-14, 08:13 AM
2013 wagon here. Same issue on left rear only. I view it as a "character" mark.

DCV
05-29-14, 08:43 AM
Same here.....passenger side of rear bumper is not flush with quarter panel. Sticks out maybe 3/16. I'll have to take a picture with a ruler. Other side is flush.

umizoomi
05-29-14, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I'll post this here just as a data-point if Caddy is paying attention. Add mine to the list of those with rear bumper askew. Basically, my view on this stuff is if it's neither performance nor safety oriented, I ignore it. Shouldn't have to, but I do. Did the same on my Audi S8 (which I sold for the V-wagon with NO regrets). It's amazing how we all choose to just look the other way on fit and finish issues and the other deficiencies of the V because (for most of us, at least) it does what it was designed to do brilliantly.

P.S. One thing i didn't ignore was when my shifter rod snapped - both performance AND safety oriented ;-)