: 2006 DTS Oil Leak

ChrisRick
07-23-13, 10:21 AM
I own a 2006 DTS. Started noticing some small drops of oil on the floor in the garage. Cleaned up the engine as much as possible to try to find the source. Could never pinpoint the source but still getting some spots. It has gotten worse in the last week. One interesting thing I've noticed is that there is oil at the top left (when standing at the front bumper looking at the engine) getting on the radiator refill and even on the bottom of the hood. It looks like the leak is at the back of the engine towards the passenger side. I have an appointment in two days at the dealer was hoping to get a jump on what I can expect to hear.

Superjim
07-23-13, 10:28 AM
My guess from your description.. and it's just a guess... is the rear valve cover / cam cover leaking.
That is not uncommon.

DevilleDeeman
07-23-13, 11:11 AM
Two common leaks on these engines. 1. SuperJim mentioned above 2. Half case seal. Half case seal is usually a "seep" and burns off while you drive rarely leaving oil on the driveway though unless the seal is completely gone.

Submariner409
07-23-13, 11:21 AM
Oil being thrown onto the hood insulation and firewall - leaking power steering pressure line or pump shaft seal ???

Engine oil level correct - in the middle of the XXXXXXXXXX hashmark ??? P/S fluid OK ??

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-23-13, 11:56 AM
I own a 2006 DTS. Started noticing some small drops of oil on the floor in the garage. Cleaned up the engine as much as possible to try to find the source. Could never pinpoint the source but still getting some spots. It has gotten worse in the last week. One interesting thing I've noticed is that there is oil at the top left (when standing at the front bumper looking at the engine) getting on the radiator refill and even on the bottom of the hood. It looks like the leak is at the back of the engine towards the passenger side. I have an appointment in two days at the dealer was hoping to get a jump on what I can expect to hear.

Hello ChrisRick,

I see forum members have offered their advice on your situation. I apologize for any inconvenience the oil leak is causing for you. I see you are going to the dealer in two days. Please keep me posted on the outcome of the dealer visit. I can be reached via private message so we can further discuss the outcome and any concerns.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

ChrisRick
07-23-13, 12:15 PM
Oil being thrown onto the hood insulation and firewall - leaking power steering pressure line or pump shaft seal ???

Engine oil level correct - in the middle of the XXXXXXXXXX hashmark ??? P/S fluid OK ??

I'm a true car novice so...
I checked the power steering fluid and it's dry. I turned the car on and checked again and there is the correct amount. The oil level remain fairly constant. I turned the car on and let it run in the garage and there are no signs of any leaks.
There is a streak of oil on the hood insulation that seems to have been thrown there by oil hitting the belt on the passenger side of the engine.

Submariner409
07-23-13, 12:28 PM
That's most likely a P/S pump shaft leak. With the engine OFF the P/S fluid level should show on the bottom part of the little dipstick hashmark.

Maybe - maybe - a crankshaft front seal leak (harmonic balancer) but that's a rare occurrence in these cars. A leaking cam cover seal would simply weep oil down the right side (rear) of the engine.

ChrisRick
07-23-13, 01:09 PM
That's most likely a P/S pump shaft leak. With the engine OFF the P/S fluid level should show on the bottom part of the little dipstick hashmark.

Maybe - maybe - a crankshaft front seal leak (harmonic balancer) but that's a rare occurrence in these cars. A leaking cam cover seal would simply weep oil down the right side (rear) of the engine.

so perhaps PS fluid rather than oil? thank me latter for the hearty belly laugh you're going to have at this next question-
how can I tell the difference? Does PS fluid also cause water to bead?

DevilleDeeman
07-23-13, 01:21 PM
so perhaps PS fluid rather than oil? thank me latter for the hearty belly laugh you're going to have at this next question-
how can I tell the difference? Does PS fluid also cause water to bead?
Being an oil based product PS fluid would bead, to tell the difference from oil and PS fluid would be the color or smell. If you are experiencing some form of oil on the hood I would look for a hose leak somewhere in that region a pinhole is all it takes some times.

Cadillac_Phx
07-23-13, 03:11 PM
Does it bother anyone else that the CADILLAC CUSTOMER SERVICE member that works for the dealer always posts the same thing in every thread? "Please keep me posted on the outcome of the dealer visit. I can be reached via private message so we can further discuss the outcome and any concerns".

I see the Dealers service dept. as dirty crooks. Over charging everything & even tampering with your vehicles (without warranty) so that you'll bring them back. My .02

MoistCabbage
07-23-13, 03:14 PM
Cadillac customer service reps don't work at or for any dealer.

And why would a copied and pasted post bother anyone? Why should they ask the same questions with different wording each time?

Cadillac_Phx
07-23-13, 03:25 PM
Well there is a little different wording in each but I just don't like the service people at the dealer. They loosened my ABS harness once. Luckily my cousin works for Chevy dealer and told me not to take it in. They were already telling me that it would be a $1,400 repair over the phone!! The tech at my local dealer drives a 1999 Acura, they don't care about your cars. Only the $$$

ChrisRick
07-23-13, 03:40 PM
so speaking of dealers...I'm taking this to the dealer because it just seems like the way to go. should i consider an independent auto repair shop?

Cadillac_Phx
07-23-13, 03:52 PM
I got a place by me called The Cadi Shop, run by two guys who used to by Cadillac techs and went into business for them selves. Cheaper & reliable, do some research and see if any small shops near you specify in Cadillacs.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-23-13, 04:27 PM
Does it bother anyone else that the CADILLAC CUSTOMER SERVICE member that works for the dealer always posts the same thing in every thread? "Please keep me posted on the outcome of the dealer visit. I can be reached via private message so we can further discuss the outcome and any concerns".

I see the Dealers service dept. as dirty crooks. Over charging everything & even tampering with your vehicles (without warranty) so that you'll bring them back. My .02

Hello Cadillac_Phx,

I am sorry if you are bothered by my statements. We are here to assist our customer in anyway that we can. We ask to communicate via private message to protect customers personal information. MoistCabbage is correct, we do not work for the dealer. We represent General Motors and are based out of the Detroit headquarters. We act as a liaison between the customer and the dealer, while having the customer and fixing their issue at our best interest.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

ChrisRick
07-25-13, 01:50 PM
update:
dropped it off at Christian Brothers and am waiting for the call.
Anyone have experience with them?

Black Dawg
01-06-14, 02:00 PM
I have an oil leak on my 2006 as well. I believe it's getting worse, as I had recently had to add a qt of oil before getting an oil change. The oil on the ground is coming from the right side. Any suggestions?

MoistCabbage
01-06-14, 02:08 PM
Yes, start your own thread. Better than tacking your question onto an old one.

Engine oil? You'll have to get under there and look.

ChrisRick
01-06-14, 02:15 PM
well mine turned out to be a power steering leak. mainly on the right side as well. had to replace a hose at around $260.00. You can check by having the car on and have a friend move the steering wheel left and right. check for a leak coming from the hoses on the top and bottom of where you fill the PS fluid.