: Remote Turbo question

studio caddi
07-23-13, 02:50 AM
I am thinking about adding a pair of remote turbos to my 2008 STS with the 4.6 Northstar V8 but know nothing about remote turbos . Any advice or help would be appreciated .

curtc
07-23-13, 09:53 AM
Remote turbos???

I know that as NOS :)

Submariner409
07-23-13, 10:42 AM
Advice ???? Don't.

Help ??? Have a very, very fat wallet.

BaTu
07-23-13, 11:01 AM
The Corvette guys do this, I was AMAZED at how far away the turbos can be located (behind the Rear Tires!) but it sure looks like a Plumbing Nightmare! And, YEA, deep pockets....

dkozloski
07-23-13, 04:01 PM
The big problem is modifying the fuel injection/delivery system to keep from leaning it out and burning up the motor. Unless you have buckets of loose cash available I'd forget it.

R/T kota
07-23-13, 06:21 PM
If they can make turbo and super charger kits work on the 3.6 camaro then why can't it work on a cadillac?
Just because its not listed specific for your car doesn't mean it can't work.

Submariner409
07-23-13, 06:24 PM
As posted, given enough time and money, ANYTHING can be made to "work". Some efforts are just more practical than others ..........

Quick - name a supercharger or turbo kit for a Northstar. (and NOT a CHRfab Northstar. The engine in a stock 2008 STS 4.6.)

R/T kota
07-23-13, 06:46 PM
Why does it have to be a specific kit? Specially with these under car mount turbos. Find some one who can bend and weld pipe and someone who can do a tune. Throw in some bigger injectors and your going racing.

Find me a specific turbo kit for my lsx powered 67 firebird. They don't exist so I have to build my own.

1BadCadSTS
07-23-13, 07:00 PM
As posted, given enough time and money, ANYTHING can be made to "work". Some efforts are just more practical than others ..........

Quick - name a supercharger or turbo kit for a Northstar. (and NOT a CHRfab Northstar. The engine in a stock 2008 STS 4.6.)

LC3 blower mounted to the LH2 with injectors air intake accessories and a retune. Run on lower psi due to thinner cyl walls and less head mating surface. Next riddle!

dkozloski
07-23-13, 07:11 PM
Let's see you pass smog tests with that setup. It'd take a miracle to get the CEL to go out so that everything important wouldn't be disabled.

Ludacrisvp
07-23-13, 07:45 PM
I think TimmyC said the spool time of twin turbo on the N* would make a lot of turbo lag. I think you would have to run some pair of tiny tiny turbos to reduce this like ones made for an engine that it about 2.0L like a Jetta with it's 1.8L turbo since twin turbos use the exhaust from half the motor to spool you would want to use turbos that are sized accordingly.

Sent from my One

R/T kota
07-23-13, 08:21 PM
Let's see you pass smog tests with that setup. It'd take a miracle to get the CEL to go out so that everything important wouldn't be disabled.

Wont be hard to do with a tuner who knows what he is doing.

----------

I think TimmyC said the spool time of twin turbo on the N* would make a lot of turbo lag. I think you would have to run some pair of tiny tiny turbos to reduce this like ones made for an engine that it about 2.0L like a Jetta with it's 1.8L turbo since twin turbos use the exhaust from half the motor to spool you would want to use turbos that are sized accordingly.

Sent from my One

If you are running twins you don't want to go too big anyway. Go too small and you might as well not do it at all. B.B. turbos have come a long way and spool time is not bad anymore. Almost non existent in some cases.

studio caddi
07-24-13, 06:54 PM
Remote turbos???

I know that as NOS :)

Sorry but NOS are not turbos . Remote turbos are a pair of turbos that are mounted underneath the car and use the exhaust gas to spin the turbos .

curtc
07-24-13, 06:55 PM
Sorry but NOS are not turbos . Remote turbos are a pair of turbos that are mounted underneath the car and use the exhaust gas to spin the turbos .

I gathered that from this thread...Just had never heard the term before, I have seen turbo set ups like this, can't imagine it being anywhere close to affordable without a very fat bank account or loaded parents that hand out money like it's candy...

studio caddi
07-24-13, 07:02 PM
The Corvette guys do this, I was AMAZED at how far away the turbos can be located (behind the Rear Tires!) but it sure looks like a Plumbing Nightmare! And, YEA, deep pockets....

I just found a company today that makes a complete remote turbo kit that contains everything you need to add remote turbos to my STS and I'm waiting for them to take their test car to my friends dyno so I can get some real accurate performance numbers .

----------

If they can make turbo and super charger kits work on the 3.6 camaro then why can't it work on a cadillac?
Just because its not listed specific for your car doesn't mean it can't work.

Yes but the 3.6 is a V6 and my 4.6 Northstar is a V8 .

----------

Why does it have to be a specific kit? Specially with these under car mount turbos. Find some one who can bend and weld pipe and someone who can do a tune. Throw in some bigger injectors and your going racing.

Find me a specific turbo kit for my lsx powered 67 firebird. They don't exist so I have to build my own.

I was just looking for others opinions and wondering if anyone else has ever done this . As for a kit that is made for the car my Lincoln Towncar had a twin turbo system fabricated for it and it works fine but it did cost a pretty penny . I look for kits first to save time and money .

1BadCadSTS
07-24-13, 07:05 PM

Keep it under 5k per year and you can do anything you want. I could dump my exhaust right off the headers. Doesn't matter.

----------

Also Timmy c has a turbo kit hand built off his v which will work on any rwd lh2 as well for sale. I'd go that route and not even consider some eBay special deal. Timmy has more knowledge of the n* than even most high end performance shops.

studio caddi
07-24-13, 07:06 PM
Wont be hard to do with a tuner who knows what he is doing.

----------

If you are running twins you don't want to go too big anyway. Go too small and you might as well not do it at all. B.B. turbos have come a long way and spool time is not bad anymore. Almost non existent in some cases.

I've had turbos and superchargers added before to over 50 cars in the past and have never had a problem passing smog . The problem I'm having is finding people who I can take my car to who know how to modify a Northstar V8 .

1BadCadSTS
07-24-13, 07:08 PM
I've had turbos and superchargers added before to over 50 cars in the past and have never had a problem passing smog . The problem I'm having is finding people who I can take my car to who know how to modify a Northstar V8 .

4 people come to mind when modifying a N* that's it.
Timmy c
Aj
Mad tuner
And chrfab

Other than that forget trusting anyone with a n*

studio caddi
07-24-13, 07:21 PM
4 people come to mind when modifying a N* that's it.
Timmy c
Aj
Mad tuner
And chrfab

Other than that forget trusting anyone with a n*

Cool so Former Cadillac employes who worked for the company for 20 years know nothing and shouldn't be trusted with a Northstar . Don't ever buy another Cadillac again then since you don't trust the people who design and engineer their cars .

1BadCadSTS
07-24-13, 07:23 PM
Hahahhahaha kiddo you better sit down and learn a thing or two.

I was the one who worked with jet chips to prototype a inline prom I've also owed 8 Cadillacs. Your new here so ill excuse your ignorance.

How shall I start correcting you.

1 you cannot tune the PCM our cars don't have one. They have an ECM and TCM but your smart you knew that right?

2 there is no hacking or tuning a Cadillac ECM through the dealer PERIOD. The cals are downloaded from GM and are not adjustable so your tech friend cannot do a thing

3 assuming your tech friend plans on using hp tuners to adjust the timing fuel/air mixtures then he would of just made a complete waste of his time. The 07+ has less knock retard than the 05-06 and ZERO YES I SAID IT ZERO hp and torque gains can be found by tuning.

But again your smart you knew all that which is why you keep making asinine treads and asking us who have been around the block for years...

Ludacrisvp
07-24-13, 07:27 PM
Cool so Former Cadillac employes who worked for the company for 20 years know nothing and shouldn't be trusted with a Northstar . Don't ever buy another Cadillac again then since you don't trust the people who design and engineer their cars .

Can you show us someone that worked on the northstar design team that is modifying them?

Sent from my One

1BadCadSTS
07-24-13, 07:31 PM
Luda the kids a mook I wouldn't worry about him providing anything convincing anytime soon. He upgraded from a Honda and now got his Wheaties pissed on when he found out sticking a coffee can on the exhaust won't provide any performance gains.

Submariner409
07-24-13, 07:58 PM
Folks, keep the thread out of the flaming gutter or it all goes to the big trash bin in the sky.

After Post #12 it went to the dogs ...........

dkozloski
07-24-13, 08:06 PM
There used to be a member of the GM Northstar design team that hung out on the forum. He was part of the team that set international records at Bonneville with a Northstar/Aurora in an Oldsmobile. Maybe we can coax him out of hiding to give you some REAL advice.

SC2150
07-24-13, 08:59 PM

Sub is correct. We do custom turbo and SC systems for most any car & light truck, but have never done a Northstar and the cost would be high for sure. PS, we have a good 2007 Northstar sitting here if anyone needs one if they try to do a turbo and blow theirs up!

Submariner409
07-24-13, 09:09 PM
............... and, as Baretta once said "That's the name of that tune .......... !"

When the info stops, the thread stops.