: Towing with your big ole caddy

65raddycaddy
07-22-13, 08:05 PM
Ive been looking for more info on towing with old cadillacs. My dad bought my 65 sedandeville in 1981 and he told me it had a big hitch on it. I have the car he gave it to me as my first car 10 years ago.

I would like to haul a camping trailer and my 1942 allis chalmers wc to pulls. Just wondered who else tows with their cars.

FoxRodder
07-23-13, 06:37 PM
I've heard of some people talking about the old days and doing exactly that pulling campers or what have you. I came across a thread on another caddy forum where a guy was talking about hitches and that he purchased one from Uhaul recently made for his 66 or whatever year it was. I looked them up and was able to pull up a hitch for my 68. I don't have a truck and have been daydreaming about putting a hitch and getting a car hauler. Don't think you can get a more stylin tow truck than a classic caddy! Only downside to the caddy aside from not having stiffly sprung rear end for the tongue weight , is that with our three speed transmissions, we typically have a real tall rear axle. I believe mine is supposed to be a 2.94. Our big blocks have the low end grunt, and the th400 is supposed to be stout, but with wear and age they might start slipping. I've already been considering getting a decent aftermarket trans cooler.

amunderdog
07-23-13, 07:09 PM
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/70s-90s-cadillac-lincoln-caprice-tow-capacity-51812.html

65raddycaddy
07-23-13, 09:13 PM
I have air shocks in the rear and I am adding trans cooler with deep pan and external filter with trans temp gauge. I was going through my steel today to start building my hitch. Im excited to get started and see how it comes out. Not sure if im going to put a modern brake controller in or buy a vintage one on ebay for style in the car.

77CDV
07-24-13, 02:09 AM
When properly outfitted, the mid-60s to mid-70s Caddys (excluding the Series 75) can tow around 6000 lbs. The towing package usually included an oil cooler, HO alternator, rear anti-sway bar, upgraded springs and rear axle ratio. The car can handle it fine, you'll just need to make sure it's equiped properly.

70eldo
07-24-13, 03:35 AM
In Sweden they all haul a caravan around town with their classic US cars during the summer!

(I just came back from a meeting in Sweden for which I will write a nice report with pictures and film asap)

Neil Clarke
08-01-13, 06:24 AM
I want to do some towing with my 76 sedan deville... but do you think I can find a tow setup anywhere..... nope