: New stereo in the '95 Fleetwood

Cadillac Giovanni
07-22-13, 08:36 PM
Actually the stereo has been in for about a month or so. I've been meaning to post pics. I was originally looking for a way to attach an MP3 player or some other auxiliary device to the factory stereo, to avoid running the 20 feet of wires from the trunk to the dash, but I'm a bit of an audiophile and I hate ghetto setups like the tape deck adapters, so I ended up biting the bullet on this one. This is the Kenwood DPX500BT. I did a lot of research into not only the sound, but also the looks. Nothing irks more more than a gaudy-looking aftermarket stereo. The install went alright for the most part. Running the wires was the easiest part, actually. The mounting kit that came with the stereo didn't quite match the instructions, but I made it work. Only rough part is having to mangle up the plastic shield in the dash behind the original stereo so that the new unit can sit flush with the dash, since it is a bit deeper.

Probably a better option than just attaching the MP3 device, since now I have over 64 GB of music on my usb drive at the ready, plus an actual AUX input, optional satellite radio/pandora/iheartradio and all that other stuff, if I ever feel the need. I'm pretty keen on the bluetooth feature with hands-free calling. Makes me feel like I'm an executive. My favorite feature of the radio is the variable display color control. Most higher-end head units have this, but it's nice to make the illumination match the rest of the car's dashboard. The white is a little too bright, but it's still pretty close.

Check out the dealer-installed car phone. I'll probably never take it out.

amunderdog
07-22-13, 09:25 PM
That is a handsome unit and the install looks very clean.

turbojimmy
07-22-13, 11:33 PM
Nice work. It's a common misconception perpetuated by the Crutchfields of the world that nothing will fit in there. It just takes a little bit of hacking to fit most double-DINs in there - and they look great.

outsider
07-23-13, 09:41 AM
good looking install and the display matches the dash cluster pretty good. Great work :)

Cadillacboy
07-23-13, 04:44 PM
Good job, nicely done and it's not a gaudy one and let me appreciate your thoughts on this set up as well . Because anything that looks like a cheap yet knick-knack stuff would ruin the console as well

brougham
08-02-13, 10:00 AM
It's an easy problem to fix, if you can find a shop that still actually fixes car radios.
If you change it out for something new definately get something like that Kenwood that actually fits properly. Nothing looks worse then an aftermarket radio that is smaller then the hole is or is too flashy.