: Why Can't I Burn Music Off Net Radio!!??

Ralph
03-03-05, 04:22 PM
http://www.webradiolist.com/radios/station.asp?ID=2&music

Kev
03-03-05, 04:31 PM
......why can't your burn simply off the radio if it's free!

This sucks!

:mad:
Because....................... It's EVIL!!!! :tisk:
It's wrong! bad! no good! and not very nice. Why, the concept of free music on radio is no good too! We've got to do something about this! It should be taxed! We've got to implement some sort of payment system!
It's no good, no good I tell you... :rant2:

Wha...uh.... hey, where am I? :hmm: What's goin on? Did I just write that?
Uh.... never mind.

Ralph
03-03-05, 04:34 PM
Well, I can take my radio and record onto cassette, but you have a limited area for recording, etc. Now the beauty of net radio is that we can get music from anywhere in the world, so why not? I've got 10 free blank CD's from when I bought my computer collecting dust!

So if someone out there knows how to do it, PLEASE ADVISE!

p.s. I'm paying enough daym taxes in this country! Last time I checked, RADIO is supposed to be free. :shhh: ;)

Kev
03-03-05, 04:45 PM
Now, how can you spect them rappers to buy all those Escalades and fancy 'cribs' if thier "music" if freely available on the airwaves and internet?
'Pimp My Ride' is gona turn into 'Brutha, can you spare a dime bag?'

Kev

Ralph
03-03-05, 04:48 PM
Now, how can you spect them rappers to buy all those Escalades and fancy 'cribs' if thier "music" if freely available on the airwaves and internet?
'Pimp My Ride' is gona turn into 'Brutha, can you spare a dime bag?'

Kev

Don't care for rap.

I've got a special collection of Natty pics I'll send to anyone if they can advise on the burning issue. These are pics I cannot post here! :shhh:

Kev
03-03-05, 04:53 PM
Don't care for rap.

I've got a special collection of Natty pics I'll send to anyone if they can advise on the burning issue. These are pics I cannot post here! :shhh:
:tisk: "Oh, yur goin ta hell fer that." Jim Naybors as Gomer Pile :p

Ralph
03-03-05, 04:54 PM
:tisk: "Oh, yur goin ta hell fer that." Jim Naybors as Gomer Pile :p

Just a guess, you're from California aren you??

:lildevil:

Kev
03-03-05, 04:56 PM
Just a guess, you're from California aren you??

:lildevil:
Is there any other place worth livin?
:coolgleam

Ralph
03-03-05, 04:57 PM
Is there any other place worth livin?
:coolgleam

Lucky bugger! :annoyed:

Kev
03-03-05, 04:58 PM
You must be refering to my 'Fruits, Nuts and Vegetables' quote.

Kev
03-03-05, 04:59 PM
C'mon down Ralph, thar be plenty room here fuya!

Ralph
03-03-05, 05:00 PM
C'mon down Ralph, thar be plenty room here fuya!

LOL! I couldn't afford the taxes in California! :sneaky: :lildevil:

Kev
03-03-05, 05:02 PM
Nor the cost of housing, no doubt. It's gettin ridiculous here in that regard.
But, there's lotsa purdy girls round here! :)

Kev
03-03-05, 05:11 PM
In honest answer to your question, you'd probably have to get a program (likely a hack job) that ignors the copywrite protection on the music files and is able to save them to the hard drive.

DopeStar 156
03-03-05, 05:30 PM

I've got a CD burner, what gives! I don't want to go to Napster and pay, but why can't your burn simply off the radio if it's free!

This sucks!

:mad:

Is ANYONE ABLE to do this????????????????????
Because you're a dirty thieving bastard!!! I'm calling THE MOUNTIES!!!!

Ralph
03-03-05, 05:35 PM
In honest answer to your question, you'd probably have to get a program (likely a hack job) that ignors the copywrite protection on the music files and is able to save them to the hard drive.

So you can't just burn as it's playing? Sounds like you got to save it THEN burn it? That's stupid, especially since it's just radio that they pump for everyone to listen to and I would hear some of those songs if I turned on the car radio! :hmm:

Dopestar: NO PICS FOR YOU!! (in voice of soup nazi from Seinfeld)

TeagueJT81
03-03-05, 09:18 PM
If I may get technical for a second...

Most net radio setups do not send an MP3, WAV, or other common form of audio file to your computer. Instead, they direct your computer to a server where the file is played remotely, or send a bit "stream" that special media player Codecs can decode. Usually, this music doesn't even get to your hard drive, it just stays in RAM and each bit is deleted as soon as the player plays it, so there is no way to save the file.

There is a relatively simple solution if you really want the music. You can buy a cable that has a 1/8 inch headphone jack (like for a Walkman or Discman) on each end. Plug one end into your headphone jack and the other into your microphone jack, and use something like Windows Sound Recorder to record the stream as a WAV file. You'll probably have a little bit of junk in the head and tail of the file, but the quality of the recording will be good and any CD recording software and media players recognize the format (although it's a bit bulky).

That said, I hope my posting that isn't against the rules. That tutorial exists for educational purposes only *cough*. I hope that helps you with your problem.

- Joe

Ralph
03-03-05, 09:27 PM
If I may get technical for a second...

Most net radio setups do not send an MP3, WAV, or other common form of audio file to your computer. Instead, they direct your computer to a server where the file is played remotely, or send a bit "stream" that special media player Codecs can decode. Usually, this music doesn't even get to your hard drive, it just stays in RAM and each bit is deleted as soon as the player plays it, so there is no way to save the file.

There is a relatively simple solution if you really want the music. You can buy a cable that has a 1/8 inch headphone jack (like for a Walkman or Discman) on each end. Plug one end into your headphone jack and the other into your microphone jack, and use something like Windows Sound Recorder to record the stream as a WAV file. You'll probably have a little bit of junk in the head and tail of the file, but the quality of the recording will be good and any CD recording software and media players recognize the format (although it's a bit bulky).

That said, I hope my posting that isn't against the rules. That tutorial exists for educational purposes only *cough*. I hope that helps you with your problem.

- Joe

Hmmm, thanks for the explaination. I guess it's not possible then because it's streamed. Your other method is appreciated and I assume both ends of the cable must be 1/8. I might check into it when I'm at Radio shak or ?

You get the pic set if you want them. ;)

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 09:41 PM
Ok first hang onto those pics , youll want to send them to me after i say this ...

The audio quality of net radio SUCKS ....i think its 96 kps bit rate or less , not good if you plan on acutally listening to the stuff at any vol level over low ...bass will end up completly distorted and trebel will be non existant ...itll sound like crap ....only use this type of recording if your playing it in a 80 Pontiac Phenoix with 4 busted speakers and the old "delcotronic" radio ..then it will sound about right

Anyway , the crappy sound nature of webradio is probably why we dont see many hacking programs to "Record them files"

I have been known to do what teague does tho in order to get sounds i need for diffrent things like slideshows

TeagueJT81
03-03-05, 09:57 PM
First, Ralph, yes, RadioShack would be the prime place to get them. And I wouldn't object too much to the pics, of course.

Second, Stoneage is right about the low quality from some stations. If the quality from a station is good enough that you wouldn't mind listening to it in the car or on the home stereo, go ahead and grab it. However, several programs do exist for capturing data streams of various formats, the only problem is they're expensive and due to the complexity of the code, very few exist as free or shareware.

Lastly, some precautions if you use my method. First, you can't have another program making background noise (like AIM or the stupid paperclip hopping around in MS Office) because it would get picked up and included with your file. Second, make sure the media player is the only thing currently accessing the net, because if you have two programs competing for your alloted bandwidth, you could get a hiccup that would ruin the recording. First, Ralph, yes, RadioShack would be the prime place to get them. And I wouldn't object too much to the pics, of course.

Second, Stoneage is right about the low quality from some stations. If the quality from a station is good enough that you wouldn't mind listening to it in the car or on the home stereo, go ahead and grab it. However, several programs do exist for capturing data streams of various formats, the only problem is they're expensive and due to the complexity of the code, very few exist as free or shareware.

Lastly, some precautions if you use my method. First, you can't have another program making background noise (like AIM or the stupid paperclip hopping around in MS Office) because it would get picked up and included with your file. Second, make sure the media player is the only thing currently accessing the net, because if you have two programs competing for your alloted bandwidth, you could get a hiccup that would ruin the recording. First, Ralph, yes, RadioShack would be the prime place to get them. And I wouldn't object too much to the pics, of course.

Lastly, some precautions if you use my method. First, you can't have another program making background noise (like AIM or the stupid paperclip hopping around in MS Office) because it would get picked up and included with your file.

Second, make sure the media player is the only thing currently accessing the net, because if you have two programs competing for your alloted bandwidth, you could get a hiccup that would ruin the recording.

Last, Stoneage's point about the bass is a very good one. If you want all the high and lows sounding right, you're going to need a good cable (24K gold plated by Monster Cable is about as good as it gets) and above average recording software.

If you don't have those two things, turn your bass and treble down as low as they go. I've ripped classical, classic rock, and some jazz using this method with a cheap cable on Windows Sound Recorder and it turned out fine.

Good luck, and I hope it works for you.

- Joe

TeagueJT81
03-03-05, 09:58 PM
Woah, that is long. Sorry about that. I've been up for two days straight now and I think I'm starting to get rambly...

Kev
03-03-05, 10:04 PM
Woah, that is long. Sorry about that. I've been up for two days straight now and I think I'm starting to get rambly...
Joe, Dude, get some sleep man!

Spock
03-03-05, 10:21 PM
As mentioned, use a Y-adapter and output the music from your soundcard to a cassette deck and record. Some quality may be lost during the conversion, but not a whole lot.

On some stations they stream at CD quality, I wouldn't downplay some stations.

Ralph have you tried...http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/

Happy hunting :halo:

kmhebert
03-03-05, 10:28 PM
I think it's easiest to save it to the hard drive then burn it to a CD. I use a program called StationRipper (http://www.stationripper.com) which lets you do searches for songs or bands you like. You can always delete the song after you burn it. On the other hand, I agree with the point about the low quality; it's not as good as real CD quality, that's for sure.

Ralph
03-03-05, 10:40 PM
Wow! Info overload. I'll go over all this when I have time. I may not do it because I didn't know how much was involved and I didn't know about all these programs, etc. thank you all!

pm me your email addies for a complementary set of Natasha modelling pics.

Thanks!

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 10:45 PM
First, Ralph, yes, RadioShack would be the prime place to get them. And I wouldn't object too much to the pics, of course.

Lastly, some precautions if you use my method. First, you can't have another program making background noise (like AIM or the stupid paperclip hopping around in MS Office) because it would get picked up and included with your file.

Second, make sure the media player is the only thing currently accessing the net, because if you have two programs competing for your alloted bandwidth, you could get a hiccup that would ruin the recording.

Last, Stoneage's point about the bass is a very good one. If you want all the high and lows sounding right, you're going to need a good cable (24K gold plated by Monster Cable is about as good as it gets) and above average recording software.

If you don't have those two things, turn your bass and treble down as low as they go. I've ripped classical, classic rock, and some jazz using this method with a cheap cable on Windows Sound Recorder and it turned out fine.

Good luck, and I hope it works for you.

- Joe
Teague , do me a favor and tape a nickle to your needle on the turntable , and ensure your on 33 and 1/3 cuz your records skipin bad brutha !!! :histeric:

Ralph
03-03-05, 10:48 PM
Teague , do me a favor and tape a nickle to your needle on the turntable , and ensure your on 33 and 1/3 cuz your records skipin bad brutha !!! :histeric:

He might have repeated himself a bit there, eh?

pics sent Stoney. you might have got them before at some point?

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 10:52 PM
no they look new to me dude....mighty fine

DopeStar 156
03-03-05, 11:08 PM
Dopestar: NO PICS FOR YOU!! (in voice of soup nazi from Seinfeld)
What?! No c'mon! You can't cut me off from Nat! That's why I'm a member! That car in my sig and my avitar, not even mine! I don't even own a Cadillac! I just come here for pictures...... Pleaaaaaaaassse don't cut me off.....:crying:

Ralph
03-03-05, 11:13 PM
What?! No c'mon! You can't cut me off from Nat! That's why I'm a member! That car in my sig and my avitar, not even mine! I don't even own a Cadillac! I just come here for pictures...... Pleaaaaaaaassse don't cut me off.....:crying:

Well ok. ;) LOL!

pm me your email addy. :yup:

DopeStar 156
03-03-05, 11:16 PM
Will do. Also I must apologize to a very special lady, I'm sorry babe, you know you're mine you sexy Metallic Red Firemist painted machine you.

Kev
03-03-05, 11:19 PM
Will do. Also I must apologize to a very special lady, I'm sorry babe, you know you're mine you sexy Metallic Red Firemist painted machine you.:vomit:

DopeStar 156
03-03-05, 11:27 PM
:want:

Kev
03-03-05, 11:30 PM
:Poke: :nyanya:

slk230mb
03-03-05, 11:38 PM
You technically dont need the cable, Windows XP will let you record from the wave output on the sound card internally. So you just need a good recording program. Windows Sound Recorder only lets you go to 60 seconds.

slk230mb@gmail.com

Ralph
03-03-05, 11:50 PM
You technically dont need the cable, Windows XP will let you record from the wave output on the sound card internally. So you just need a good recording program. Windows Sound Recorder only lets you go to 60 seconds.

slk230mb@gmail.com

Well I use windows Media Player for this stuff but the problem is that they want you to download it (how can you from radio because you cannot select the sonds individually) and then select the songs to burn, which sucks. I'll play around with it, maybe I'm missing something.

pics on the way..... 2 sets....

slk230mb
03-03-05, 11:54 PM
Windows Media Player won't record.

Edit-- very nice pics Ralph. :thumbsup:

Ralph
03-04-05, 12:08 AM
Windows Media Player won't record.

Edit-- very nice pics Ralph. :thumbsup:

Well, they give the option to "Burn" at the top of the page so it's a bit deceiving.

Ralph
03-04-05, 12:14 AM

I'm listening to this techno from Toronto right now and it's as clear as a bell! Why wouldn't it record clear? I just adjust the EQ and I have good speakers, etc. Thus far I'm pretty impressed with the sound quality.

kmhebert
03-04-05, 12:21 AM
Well I use windows Media Player for this stuff but the problem is that they want you to download it (how can you from radio because you cannot select the sonds individually) and then select the songs to burn, which sucks. I'll play around with it, maybe I'm missing something.

pics on the way..... 2 sets....

That's why I use StationRipper; you can do searches and find songs you like. Now, there's no guarantee at any given point in time that the song you want is playing somewhere on the Internet, but with thousands upon thousands of Internet radio stations, odds are you can find something you'll like. :2thumbs:

Ralph
03-04-05, 12:24 AM
That's why I use StationRipper; you can do searches and find songs you like. Now, there's no guarantee at any given point in time that the song you want is playing somewhere on the Internet, but with thousands upon thousands of Internet radio stations, odds are you can find something you'll like. :2thumbs:

OK, do you have to pay for that StationRipper when you download it or is it free? It also says "RIP" at the top of my page beside Burn so that's why it bugs me I can't use it.

Ralph
03-04-05, 12:32 AM
Windows XP will let you record from the wave output on the sound card internally. So you just need a good recording program.

What program do you recommend and how do I get there through XP? If it's a long explaination, don't waste your time. No biggie.

This sounds the most dooable to me for what I have.

Kev
03-04-05, 12:36 AM
OK, do you have to pay for that StationRipper when you download it or is it free? It also says "RIP" at the top of my page beside Burn so that's why it bugs me I can't use it.http://www.stationripper.com/
Here is the website.

Ralph
03-04-05, 12:40 AM
http://www.stationripper.com/
Here is the website.

Thanks, but someone in post #24 posted it already. I have to look at it better to see if I have to pay. I don't want to and if I have to it's not really worth it to me. Damn, I got no patience tonite for reading alot of stuff for some reason! :helpless: Probably too tired.

kmhebert
03-04-05, 12:45 AM
Heh, it's cool. There is a free version but you can only stream 2 radio stations at the time. The old version could stream any number of stations; I regret upgrading for that reason. But, the price is right. :)

Ralph
03-04-05, 12:48 AM

I guess my demands are simple. I don't really want to look for certain songs, I just want to record from this radio whatever's playing at the moment...

Ralph
03-04-05, 12:50 AM
Heh, it's cool. There is a free version but you can only stream 2 radio stations at the time. The old version could stream any number of stations; I regret upgrading for that reason. But, the price is right. :)

Define "stream" you mean burn/rip, right?

This may sound stupid, but, I just want to record one at a time if that's what you mean?

danbuc
03-04-05, 03:21 AM
You could probalby use Sound Forge to 'finess' the quality of the music, to where it would be acceptable to listen in the car for example. My friend has a copy of it, with abunch of addons, that give you the ability to 'tweek' the sound as you see fit. This would allow you to edit it, and remove unwanted static, and or other distortions from the recording. It works wonders with LP's, when recording them to a computer. It's a little dificult to use, but would probably help alot on the quality side. I don;t know if you could use the program to recod the music too, but I've never tried anything like that that yet. Mostly just editing live recordings on MD, or adjusting the quality of an old tape. Good Luck.

Ralph
03-04-05, 04:47 AM
You could probalby use Sound Forge to 'finess' the quality of the music, to where it would be acceptable to listen in the car for example. My friend has a copy of it, with abunch of addons, that give you the ability to 'tweek' the sound as you see fit. This would allow you to edit it, and remove unwanted static, and or other distortions from the recording. It works wonders with LP's, when recording them to a computer. It's a little dificult to use, but would probably help alot on the quality side. I don;t know if you could use the program to recod the music too, but I've never tried anything like that that yet. Mostly just editing live recordings on MD, or adjusting the quality of an old tape. Good Luck.

Thanks.

I'm new at this net radio thing so I'm just going to look for a simple solution to this. I'll try downloading that stationripper tomorrow possibly and play around with it and see what happens.

I guess technically I'm not "burning" because I don't want to select songs, I'm "Ripping" because I just want to copy the radio.

TeagueJT81
03-04-05, 09:06 AM
Yeah, my record was skipping bad. Stoneage wins this one. If you want easy listening type stuff, use my method. Otherwise, listen to the people who know their stuff a bit more.

- Joe

Stoneage_Caddy
03-04-05, 01:26 PM
hell i dont know nothin ...i do easy listening too but im obsessive compulsive on alot of things , music is one of them ....

Do they have higher quailty web radio staions ? all the ones i get sound like crap ...shoot me what your listenin to ralph ......im curious ....

Ralph
03-04-05, 01:35 PM
I forgot to mention I have a program called Nero Start Smart, and it was installed on my computer when I bought it in Oct. Has anyone ripped net radio with this?

Stoney, this is the one I'm using lately and the sound is crystal clear. There are some others that came pre-programmed in my media player with the computer but I had to look for more because the choices were limited.

Try this and see how it sounds...(there is even an all Elvis station!)

http://www.webradiolist.com/radios/country.asp

Ralph
03-04-05, 07:28 PM
OK. I went to radio shack and they said what someone else mentioned to do, namely, I need a short cable with both male ends and connect into the back of the computer. then I need some sort of program to rip the music but I might have to save it first. Too much trouble at this point and the complexity of it angers me a bit, but thanks for all the advice.

EvilXbox
03-04-05, 10:29 PM
This isn't the time when I offer my help is it? After all, maybe after I took that geek test and was named "King Geek",hacked though myown computer looking for something to do, making my own media and gaming programs, I probley shoulda sent you a program for you're probs.........hmmmmmm :cool:

Colt_45
03-05-05, 10:01 PM
sound forge lets you record of the inet, directly to your hardrive. if youre worried about shitty bitrate, shoutcast.com is a search site where u can find high bitrate brodcasts.

Robertr994
03-05-05, 11:57 PM
Ok first hang onto those pics , youll want to send them to me after i say this ...

The audio quality of net radio SUCKS ....i think its 96 kps bit rate or less , not good if you plan on acutally listening to the stuff at any vol level over low ...bass will end up completly distorted and trebel will be non existant ...itll sound like crap ....only use this type of recording if your playing it in a 80 Pontiac Phenoix with 4 busted speakers and the old "delcotronic" radio ..then it will sound about right

Anyway , the crappy sound nature of webradio is probably why we dont see many hacking programs to "Record them files"

I have been known to do what teague does tho in order to get sounds i need for diffrent things like slideshows

that would depend on the station your listening to, my station streams at 128, and can stream as high as 320

Ralph
03-06-05, 12:01 AM
that would depend on the station your listening to, my station streams at 128, and can stream as high as 320

How do you find the quality of those links I posted? I find it very clear with good base, etc.

danbuc
03-06-05, 02:43 AM
I had a feeling you could record and save with Sound Forge. I just wasn;t sure, as I've never used it for that before. I think I shoudl try, I just have to "borrow" it from my friend so I can reinstall it. :sneaky: . What the best online radio station out there, as far as quality and bandwidth. Has anybody tried a bunch of different ones and compared, just curious.

Adumb
03-06-05, 10:00 AM
i didnt read through all the post so some one might have mentioned this but the way i know how, you need a recording program and you go to your sound controls, and into the recording controls and set it to record wave out mix or something along the lines of wave out. and you press record on the recording program and save the file when the song is over.