: 1980 368 CDV Ignition problem

slayer10242
07-22-13, 05:39 PM
1980 Coupe Deville Ignition problem

I have a 1980 Coupe Deville with the California emissions 368 ci. I was driving it every day until the problem arose about 8 months ago, and it has sat in the garage since. Here's the problem:

I changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, air filter, and pcv valve. About a week later, I was on my way home and it died, and the dummy light came on that says stop engine oil pressure. I checked the oil, and it was fine, so I tried to start it again and it wouldn't start. Turns out, I had no spark. I pulled the cap off and found that I didn't seat the cap properly, and the rotor had been digging into the side of the cap. I replaced the cap, and still didn't have any spark. I replaced the Ignition Control Module, and it started, ran for about 20 seconds, and died, with the same dummy light. This also shorted out the Ignition Control Module, again. I had the car towed home and have slowly been working on it again. I replaced the Oil Pressure sending switch, and rebuilt the Oil pump, and installed it today. I started the car and it fired right up and ran. While it was still idling, I added some transmission fluid (as there is a mysterious puddle under the car that wasn't there until late winter) and was going to take it for a ride, when it died after about 10 minutes of running, with the same dummy light, again, and no spark when I try starting it again. What is causing it to short out the ICMs? It really sucks because thats three I've been through, and being CA emissions, they are around $40.00 each. HELP!!!

The Ape Man
07-22-13, 06:25 PM
Secondary spark jumping to primary pickup and/or wiring. Did you renew the crap and rotor again after the clearance problem?

How does the carbon thingie in the center of the cap look?

1980coupe
07-22-13, 10:33 PM
Bad fuel filter? Mine did this back in October of last year...maybe worth looking into

drmenard
07-22-13, 11:04 PM
The spark from your coil is getting to your module. If the gasket and the center button are all put in right I would change the coil.. But I do remember now that something like this happened when someone put the center rotor button in backwards..

SafariOne
07-23-13, 11:34 AM
Have you checked out the magnetic ring, the pole piece and the pickup coil in the bottom of the distributor?? If the ring or pole piece are broken you could be getting a short. Make sure you put the silicone lube under the module as well.

carnut
07-24-13, 01:53 PM
Did you swap over the ground strap under the coil in the cap? If the engine quits, the "stop engine" light comes on because the oil pump isn't spinning because the engine quit and the key is in the run position which is normal! Are the connectors that plug into the coil in the cap secure? are the retainers broken which might allow the 12 volt source wire to become disconnected?