: Burping heat exchanger

rbzstsv
07-21-13, 08:34 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys have a good system for burping the most amount of air out of the heat exchanger cooling system? I have a TC fab heat exchanger upgrade. Thanks

PGA2B
07-21-13, 10:44 PM
Just keep taking the cap off the fill tube by the battery and fill as needed. It will take a few drive cycles to get it all out. Took me about a week til I was happy.

TimmyC
07-21-13, 10:52 PM
Yep, that's the only way to do it. Don't take the rectangle cover off the top of the intercooler lid. It does vent the air nicely, but the o ring will never seal again. If you want to replace the o ring go ahead and remove it, just be ready.

Zzapp
07-21-13, 10:59 PM
I burped mine by taking the rectangle cap off and I did not have any sealing issues after... I guess thats hit and miss... Harbor Freight does sell an "O" ring set for cheap 10-15 bucks unless its onsale then its about $8

CMNTMXR57
07-22-13, 12:15 PM
I've had mine off several times and have had no issues. Technically during refill, you're supposed to open/take out the vent nut, down on the radiator itself (on the drivers side) on top of the stock intercooler if I recall (which is irrelevant in your case as you don't have the stocker), and fill until you get fluid to that point. Cap it off, cap off the rectangle cap, then fill the resevoir tube until it's to the top, and then top off as necessary. It may actually take a little while. I'm still burping mine from the flush about a month ago. It helps if you cycle the intercooler pump. This can be done with a Tech 2 (look for the CAC sub-menu. CAC stands for "Charged Air Cooler" in GM speak), and you can manually toggle it (the CAC pump), on/off, or you should be able to, by running the engine.

The PITA is the retarded design of the opening UNDER that rectanglular cap, and may be the reason one thinks you're not sealing because you probably spilled a bit trying to fill it there. You have to pour the coolant in at a dribble, otherwise you'll overflow it because there is no room inside that hole to quantity fill it. I end up wrapping a towel around the bottom of a small funnel, then slowly pour it in, and still occasionally have a little spill over.