: To all stupid SUV and truck owners...

BeelzeBob
02-07-03, 07:55 AM
Now, not saying that ALL SUV and truck owners are stupid. Read the title carefully. If you're not stupid, than this message isn't for you...

It's snowing pretty hard here on Long Island (NY) - and who is it that's swirling around all over the road doing 360's and sliding backwards down ramps? Is it the ricers? Is it the kids who just started driving? No. It's the over-confident truck drivers who think their crap is invincible..

The roads are extremely terrible here. There's only a few inches on the ground but for some reason or other, it's very, very slippery - way more than it usually is with this small amount of snow. I usually fly through with no problem doing 60 mph - not today. I had to do 30 like everyone else.. Everyone else but the stupid people driving trucks..

To the people who buy trucks and retain their brain functions, I commend you. It's like being the toughest kid in class without being a bully...

/rant

Devil_concours
02-07-03, 10:55 AM
well put sal
I have a suburban and f250 4door but it scares me more to drive the f250 than the cadillac. Have you guys experimented with cad's traction control in the snow. It was amazing. Of course this was done in the empty parking lot at a low speed but cad's traction control as you all know is very aggressive but it does the job very well keeping the car straight as possible and prevent it from spinning out.
In the other hand suburban... all i can say is that i can drift in the suburban in a dry weather. :D

BeelzeBob
02-07-03, 11:21 AM
I'm amazed at how my ETC handled in the snow.. I can't wait to get into another Cadillac...

Brett
02-07-03, 11:51 AM
I moved from Chicago to Tampa last July and I couldnt be happier to be missing the snow...my sls was great in the snow my vette SUCKED... not that i would ecpect a vette to do all that well...but anyway it is cloudy down here today but its also 70 degrees:p

BeelzeBob
02-07-03, 12:27 PM
Damn. Florida is sounding better and better every day.. Are there many SUVs down there being that there's no snow?

Brett
02-07-03, 12:33 PM
yea i still see them all over the place...although you can save a few grand down here and just buy the rwd versions since you dont need the traction for snow...plus you should get a little more performance out of the rwd version.

Brett
02-07-03, 12:40 PM
oh and im coming to new york on vacation sometime in march so try and arrange some nice weather please

BeelzeBob
02-07-03, 01:16 PM
hehe. I'll do my best. No problem. :D

seduxion
02-07-03, 02:38 PM
Man soccer moms and drunk drivers in SUV's make me mad. I You may be able to go like hell in the snow n ice... but that's a false sense of security because you cannot stop any better than the firebird in front of you going 15mph.

elwesso
02-07-03, 05:26 PM
The light SUVs (the nissan pathfinder comes to mind first), are the most pointless vehicles on the road. They are just wagons raised up. They are more prone to toppling, because they are lighter. Even with 4wd they cant go through snow, because they have a 6cy and are too light. Also, they dont stop like you would think a SUV should. My tahoe stops great on ice, but that is because it is a 6000 lb vehicle with a huge engine. That is the way SUVs are supposed to be: big and heavy. People would be much safer in wagons then they would be in light SUVs.

I was thinking, and a parachute would be more effective for ice stopping for light SUVs.

DeVillish
02-07-03, 05:39 PM
i live in St petersburg FL, about 30mins from tampa. It was nice today, 70s, but kinda rainy. BUt yeah, lots of SUVs, mostly girls.

Brett
02-07-03, 05:47 PM
lots of people from the bay area...sandman is from valrico as well

DeVillish
02-07-03, 05:49 PM
hmmm, maybe we all could start a cad run at some local tracks, very off topic so i'll post a new thread about it.

Allante North *
02-08-03, 12:40 AM
Back on topic

4WD vehicles give many a sense of false security. I'm no expert, but I use the transmission to brake on slick surfaces. Using the brakes on slick surfaces increases the chance of loss of traction. Even antilock brakes will cause a vehicle to slide on ice.

I guess the soccer mommies and other idiots that have SUV's and AWD vehicles are too cool to read the owners manual or test the water before they dive in.

Lets be careful out there! I bet there turn signals don't work either.

elwesso
02-08-03, 09:31 AM
I also like to use the tranny to stop, but sometimes i get to sliding and that is not exactly on the top of my list of things to do. The way i see it, the heavier the vehicle, the easier it is to stop, with or without antilocks.

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 11:27 AM
thing about awd/4wd vs 2wd
it is easier to get out of a sliding/spinout in 4wd than 2wd IF YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.
In 2wd you can't force the car to get traction as oppose you use the accelerator to get traction in 4wd/awd but when you're on an ice neither will help any unless you have metal spikes builtin your tires.

BeelzeBob
02-08-03, 01:13 PM
I never downshift to stop on ice - I should try that very soon..

elwesso
02-08-03, 08:00 PM
It works great, but i usually dont remember. I get pleanty of practice.

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 09:53 PM
read your manual sal. There are plenty of tips included with the manual to prepare you for almost all sorts of situation.

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 12:18 AM
down shifting on ice is a shaddy area! it becomes very easy for you to break the wheels loose and slide. things can get really hairy, front or rear drive

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 12:58 AM
wether you downshift or not rubber tires can't get traction on ice. Only advice i have for everyone is to drive slowly.

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 01:02 AM
true, drive slow and safe and there will be no problems

I hope

osv_alero
02-09-03, 09:29 AM
After adding Studdless snow tires to my car, I've never had a problem driving in the snow.

THOUGH this year I was on a back road full of snow (stock tires would NEVER have made it) only to have a bunch of SUVs block the turn around area, so I had to use another area which caused the car to sink so deep, I pushed the snow out of the way when I opened the door. With a little digging, and patience, the car got itself out.

elwesso
02-09-03, 09:55 AM
I have heard actually that putting it in neutral can help. If you think about it, it makes sense, because you put it in neutral and the powertrain is no longer moving the wheels.

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 04:17 PM
I've never really noticed that much of a differance when kicking it into N, but I understand your therory. The skinny pedal has got me out of many more problems than the brake has. but there is a time and a place for each