: Cynlinder de-activation.... is it programmed?

sdgc
07-21-13, 04:14 PM
Just wanted to touch base and see how the cylinder de-activation works in our Esky compared to others. Used to drive a couple other vehicles that had cylinder de-ac and noticed on the esky it doesnt like to go into 4 all that much... when crusing, a very slight incline/long range hill (over pass ona road etc) it goes back into V8, rather than just staying in V4. Im not punching the gas or anything, just cruise control on. ANyone else notice it rarely goes in toV4? Should it go int V4 more than it does.. not too sure, so thats why i am looking at how it works for tohers and if its a programming change that could possible be done etc.

Cheers

hcvone
07-21-13, 07:15 PM
I have done a lot of work with this feature in aftermarket tuning, I can get the 4 cylinder mode to come in at 40 mph and last up to 72 mph, this has increased my fuel mileage by 4-5 mpg on the highway, the biggest problem is keeping it in the 4 cylinder mode, because this requires a very light push on the pedal, I usually use cruise control for the 1 mph jump, it takes a flat road because these shoe boxes are tough to punch thru the air. ;)

2kflhr
07-24-13, 08:55 PM
I just made a 3500 mile trip to Texas from North Carolina and back. On the way I was pulling a trailer so I wouldn't expect it to go into 4 cyl. mode but on the way back I never noticed it either. Can you tell when it goes in and out of the fuel saver mode?

sdgc
07-24-13, 09:27 PM
Physically i dont feel the change.. so a plus on that.. but if you scroll through your guage settings its in there... shows V4 or V8 mode and instantaneous mileage.

2kflhr
07-26-13, 08:38 PM
Physically i dont feel the change.. so a plus on that.. but if you scroll through your guage settings its in there... shows V4 or V8 mode and instantaneous mileage.Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check the DIC.

hcvone
07-27-13, 06:33 AM
Yes that is the key, you need that screen because you really can not tell any other way when you get in the 4 cylinder mode, try your cruise control because you can do 1 mph at a time and keep it in the 4 cylinder mode, you still need fairly flat roads

roadog1aj
07-27-13, 08:23 AM
I have to say....I'm impressed with how seamlessly the 4-8 mode works. It's a huge leap for GM if you recall the 4-6-8 fiasco they introduced back in the early 80's. We had two caddys that had that "technology". Egads!!! At least it was easy to circumvent with a simple jumper wire! I think it was such a disaster that it took this long for GM to stick their foot in the ring again. I'm sure there are other car makers that use this type of technology on their engines, so it's not new for the times, but it is a big leap for GM to introduce it again,and make it work as well as it does. You do have to have the 4-8 & instant mileage showing on the DIC in order to even see it in operation.

hcvone
07-27-13, 10:08 AM
I have to say....I'm impressed with how seamlessly the 4-8 mode works. It's a huge leap for GM if you recall the 4-6-8 fiasco they introduced back in the early 80's. We had two caddys that had that "technology". Egads!!! At least it was easy to circumvent with a simple jumper wire! I think it was such a disaster that it took this long for GM to stick their foot in the ring again. I'm sure there are other car makers that use this type of technology on their engines, so it's not new for the times, but it is a big leap for GM to introduce it again,and make it work as well as it does. You do have to have the 4-8 & instant mileage showing on the DIC in order to even see it in operation.

Yea had an old Seville with that 4-6-8 and it sucked big time, nothing like that crap anymore. :)