: Stoney, what's the pocket bike all about?

illumina
03-02-05, 11:02 PM
I seen one tonight at Pep Boys for like $200.00, but wasn't sure if it is like the one you have. It said the top speed was like 12 mph...It was also very tiny, like 3 feet long or something.

They also had other ones that were larger, with a limit of 25 mph. I'm beginning to like these little things.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-02-05, 11:23 PM
ahh ...well lemme tell you some stuff about them ...

First there are two flavors , Midi and the Pocket bikes , Midis are bigger bikes but have the engine out of the smaller pocketbikes ..thus they are acually slower than the little ones...

The two your looking at (i was at poopboys sunday getting tires) the small one is electric and not gas , its a heep ...the midi is also a heep ....but gas powered

heres a link to a guy i deal with on all my pocketbike parts :
http://www.adrenaline-motorsports.com/sa/cart/category.asp?cg={E96A930D-D82F-41C3-B7E7-97746FC80529}
My bike is a Daytona HF Cag similar to the first shaggi daytona on that page...

Out of the box this bike is the size of the very tiny bike you looked at >3 feet, has a 39cc engine ,slider type carb , runs around 22-25 mph ...thats what i started with ...

The afterarket is huge for this thing , i have an easy 500 bucks in the motor , im probably making around double what the motor put out originally ....which was like 2 hp ...im guessing im running around 30-45 mph , i weigh 180 lbs ..

now remeber for the price point these arent the greatest quality , they are copys of italian pocketbikes that cost in upwards opf 2 grand ....so things dont fit right and welds arent quite right ...when once you get them sorted and prepped they are a ton of fun ...

Now the newest thing in Cags is the watercooled cags(banshee) , which is what im looking at getting next :
http://www.badazztoyz.com/page2.html
lots faster , saw one in action a few weeks ago , man does it run fast out of the box , im thinking it can hang with my bike and its $500 engine ....

Ask me anything , i really know these little guys ....

EvilXbox
03-02-05, 11:35 PM
You forgot to mention two things about them:
1-Pain to work on.
2-Lots of fun when it actley runs. :D

Stoneage_Caddy
03-02-05, 11:44 PM
You forgot to mention two things about them:
1-Pain to work on.
2-Lots of fun when it actley runs. :D

no you just learn to remove the engine from the bike when you want to do anythign with it ...

Kev
03-02-05, 11:47 PM
Kinda gives ya a new definition for 'Pocket Rocket'.
'Course, it leans more toward the pocket than the rocket. :sneaky:

Stoneage_Caddy
03-02-05, 11:54 PM
Kinda gives ya a new definition for 'Pocket Rocket'.
'Course, it leans more toward the pocket than the rocket. :sneaky:
yah i dont really like the name pocket rocket ....and ex girlfreind of mine has one fo those ....but it was before the kind without 2 wheels if you know what i mean ...but i have to call it what every calls them as i dont have another name for it ...outside pocket bike ...

Im old fashioned ...I remeber when a pocket rocket was a car like a '88 Z24 or a civc CRX Si or the qunintessential pocket rocket ...the GTI ...but the damned ex girlfreind screwed that up for me ...

Ralph
03-02-05, 11:55 PM
nitrous??

"The bottle?"

illumina
03-02-05, 11:56 PM
I'm not too familliar with these things, but I just like the looks of them and am considering a new hobby anyways once the turbocharger project for the 4.9 Seville is done.

I'll have to have Stoney tell me more about them when the time comes if I do so and get one...I mean hell, for a few hundred $$$, why not?

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 12:03 AM
nitrous??

"The bottle?"

on temporary hold for now ....blew the engne 3 weeks ago , got it back together ....its pretty scary right now so im waiting till i get used to that , then its bottle time ....then the stroker crank goes back in ....

But in the right conditions its pulling the front wheel off the ground after 110 feet (hits first powerband)

its pretty picky right now about its carb settings and its weather and clutch setup , im going to another spring package to free up some adjustment

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 12:06 AM
I'm not too familliar with these things, but I just like the looks of them and am considering a new hobby anyways once the turbocharger project for the 4.9 Seville is done.

I'll have to have Stoney tell me more about them when the time comes if I do so and get one...I mean hell, for a few hundred $$$, why not?
you figure the turbo out , ill send you my t-25 for you to build me a kit ..and ill send a motor to you for one of these bastards

actually , on the turbo project im waiting till the Mazda RX8 turbo arrives , iveheard rumors they tied an electric motor to a t28 .....something ive been wanting to do but cant seem to find a proper electirc motor and gear set for ...at any rate im gonna take a look at how they did it and see i fi can fab one up ...

Ralph
03-03-05, 12:09 AM
on temporary hold for now ....blew the engne 3 weeks ago , got it back together ....its pretty scary right now so im waiting till i get used to that , then its bottle time ....then the stroker crank goes back in ....

But in the right conditions its pulling the front wheel off the ground after 110 feet (hits first powerband)

its pretty picky right now about its carb settings and its weather and clutch setup , im going to another spring package to free up some adjustment

That's crazy man! I'm curious what's the top speed now and possible speed with nitrous? Are there races you can enter?

Scary but fun I imagine! There was something on the news some months back about how police don't like them on the highways/streets because cars couldn't see them because they are so low, etc. Are they street legal?

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 12:14 AM
world record is held at 78 mph if i remeber right

mines only running around 45

they are far from street legal , we meet on saturdays at one parkinglot , we lonload and maybe get a little heat in the tires and the cops come ...pack em up and off to the next lot ...do this all day ...

they do have pro races ....but im no racer with the stuff , i just a power happy giggle monkey (what i call a rider with no skill and tons of power and laughs the whole time about it)...if i feel i get good enough ill enter the 4 hour endurance race in the open class ....ill prolly run my "detuned" engine im building , i dont know how well my 19,000+ rpm hand genade engine will work after 1 hour let alone 4 ...but if the genade shows it can run relibly then ill enter it ...

Ralph
03-03-05, 12:15 AM
Looks like the Swiss take their PB racing seriously.

http://www.pocketbike.ch/

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 12:19 AM
Looks like the Swiss take their PB racing seriously.

http://www.pocketbike.ch/

those are the big bucks iltalian bikes ...those guys are very serious

its like comapreing a a fiero to a f355 spyder ....mines got a 4.9 in it now but i still cant hang with the ferarri

in the off season for the real GP Bikes (the big fast racing bikes) the riders come and run these things to keep there skills sharp or to shrpen them even more ...Like how tony stewart gets out of his nextel cup car goes back and gets in sprint cars ...

Ive seen the pros on these bikes , they should be given a stright jacket and put into a rubber room , these kids are insane ..but wicked fast

Ralph
03-03-05, 12:23 AM
These things look deadly serious, but the hp isn't much more than you started with. They must mod them heavily.

http://www.pocketbike.ch/Index/dealers/dealers.html

http://www.teamtnt.ca/?Term=racing%20mini%20pocket%20bike&Category=Bike%20Racing

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 12:42 AM
mugh lighter frames , and there making 12hp stock , 10 more than what i staterd with and and 8 more than what i have now ....

when you need 4 to 4.5 hp to get to 45 mph think of what 3 times the hp will do ....

a 03 Camaro SS made like 10pounds(4.5 kg?) per hp (3400lb car 340hp)
some of those bikes make 16 pounds(7.25kg?) per hp(200 lbs bike and rider 12hp)...pretty close arent they ?

Ralph
03-03-05, 12:51 AM
mugh lighter frames , and there making 12hp stock , 10 more than what i staterd with and and 8 more than what i have now ....

when you need 4 to 4.5 hp to get to 45 mph think of what 3 times the hp will do ....

a 03 Camaro SS made like 10pounds(4.5 kg?) per hp (3400lb car 340hp)
some of those bikes make 16 pounds(7.25kg?) per hp(200 lbs bike and rider 12hp)...pretty close arent they ?

Yup. How'd you know about the KG's and why would you care? :p

That's some power to weight ratio! These things are kinda neat and I wanted to see if they sold them around here so I searced and found one "for the enthusiast" in Edmonton Alberta (next door) Price isn't unrealistic I suppose but 200 and change U.S. seems fair. click the camera icon.

What do you think of this one?

http://www.buysell.com/root/Saskatchewan/495/4807/results.html

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 12:54 AM

That's some power to weight ratio! These things are kinda neat and I wanted to see if they sold them around here so I searced and found one "for the enthusiast" in Edmonton Alberta (next door) Price isn't unrealistic I suppose but 200 and change U.S. seems fair.

searched online for a metric to standard convter ...im not good at weight conversion ont he fly yet ...i can susualy do mph and kmh and distances on the fly ....i wish the world would ditch the stupid standard system ....i like metric so much beatter ...everything is in 10s ...just figured id save you the trouble of having to convert to metiric to understand me

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 12:56 AM

That's some power to weight ratio! These things are kinda neat and I wanted to see if they sold them around here so I searced and found one "for the enthusiast" in Edmonton Alberta (next door) Price isn't unrealistic I suppose but 200 and change U.S. seems fair. click the camera icon.

What do you think of this one?

by the way that bike , ill bet my lunch money it wont run 40 out of the box .....30 maybe ...but aint gonna run no 40 ....ive just gotten to that point

Ralph
03-03-05, 01:00 AM
I thought that Edmonton bike was modded, or he builds them for a living.

Uh oh, looks like they are cracking down on them here!:

( 1st article below the blue)

http://www.ccmta.ca/english/news/news.html

"Pocket mini bikes resemble small motorcycles and are expected to top the wish list for presents this holiday season. These bikes do not belong on the roads. These bikes are about 260 centimetres (two feet) high, which make them very hard to see and they can reach speeds of 80 kilometres per hour."

80 kph = 50 mph

RobertCTS
03-03-05, 09:59 AM
Is this cool or what?:bouncy:

RobertCTS
03-03-05, 10:24 AM
Or for the more serious bike riders a Cadillac link

http://www.cadillacbicycles.com/rle1.8.html

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 01:00 PM
yah , thats badass .....i gotta get me one of them ...

Kev
03-03-05, 01:08 PM
Man, I'd have been beat up for sure if I rode something like that in the neighborhood I grew up in! :gun::hide:

RobertCTS
03-03-05, 01:18 PM

What year do you think thats styled after?

Kev
03-03-05, 01:19 PM
What year do you think thats styled after?
'59

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 01:22 PM
i think its styled after a 1999 Cadillac AstroSafariVenture van myself ....or perhaps A 96 Ford AerostarTaurus EddieNautica edition....

Definatly not styled liek a CTS tho ....

Kev
03-03-05, 01:27 PM
....or perhaps A 96 Ford AerostarTaurus EddieNautica edition....
Hey, I got one of those, it's cool! ;)

Kev

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 01:32 PM
Yup ...does it have the "space cadet" digital dash ? those were cool on those things ...

that and its design ..they look like someone took a retangualr peice of wood and ground one corner off it with a belt sander ....

The Lumina APV wasnt more original tho , its styleing was stolen from a hoover "dust buster"

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 01:38 PM
http://auto.consumerguide.com/images/autoreview/400x266/1990-96-Chevrolet-Lumina-APV-Minivan-90123351990712.JPG

http://www.blackanddecker.com/BDConsumer_Images//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/HOME_PRODUCTS/TOOLS/MEDIUM/1/SPV1450_1.gif

dont worry , the dustbuster is still more powerful ....

Kev
03-03-05, 04:15 PM
http://auto.consumerguide.com/images/autoreview/400x266/1990-96-Chevrolet-Lumina-APV-Minivan-90123351990712.JPG

http://www.blackanddecker.com/BDConsumer_Images//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/HOME_PRODUCTS/TOOLS/MEDIUM/1/SPV1450_1.gif

dont worry , the dustbuster is still more powerful ....
Yeah, and it's better lookin' too!

Stoneage_Caddy
03-03-05, 04:55 PM
amazing the similartitys the balck and decker and the APV....

they boath sucked
they boath were made from plastic
they looked the same
they boath had crappy batterys from the facotry
even after you used either of them youd find crap left everywhere ....

But when flung off a cliff the dustbuster would reach the ground first (beatter areo package)

Kev
03-03-05, 05:10 PM
:lightbulb Hey Stoney, I think you should put a N2O system on the bike, it'll change it from a Pocket Rocket to a 'Minnie-Me' Croch Rocket! :cycle: (bike and rider not to scale)
Course, if something were to go wrong........could turn into a croch grenade.....:suspense:......on second thought, better scrap that idea. Things get ugly and go bad, you'd make Michael Jackson sound like a baritone! :canttalk:

Never mind..:leaving:

EvilXbox
03-05-05, 12:06 AM
:lightbulb Hey Stoney, I think you should put a N2O system on the bike, it'll change it from a Pocket Rocket to a 'Minnie-Me' Croch Rocket! :cycle: (bike and rider not to scale)
Course, if something were to go wrong........could turn into a croch grenade.....:suspense:......on second thought, better scrap that idea. Things get ugly and go bad, you'd make Michael Jackson sound like a baritone! :canttalk:

Never mind..:leaving:

Hey Hey Hey! No dissin the baritone! Or is the baritone something else than what im thinking of? If stoney thinks he flies when he's on it....wait till I get on...then Im scared silly! :cycle: +NOS+ME=Certain Death....

Kev
03-05-05, 12:16 AM
Hey Hey Hey! No dissin the baritone! Or is the baritone something else than what im thinking of? If stoney thinks he flies when he's on it....wait till I get on...then Im scared silly! :cycle: +NOS+ME=Certain Death....
Vocal baritone....vocal....with the singing....the mouth...

"Oh..........it's Friday night and I aint got no money! I got somebody cause I....." Oh wait, those are the wrong words.
I'm so freaking bored! I'm so freaking tired! I guess I shouldn't have stayed up working last night till 2:30am, up again at 7:am :yawn:
Am I rambling? ... ....

EvilXbox
03-05-05, 12:23 AM
Vocal baritone....vocal....with the singing....the mouth...

"Oh..........it's Friday night and I aint got no money! I got somebody cause I....." Oh wait, those are the wrong words.
I'm so freaking bored! I'm so freaking tired! I guess I shouldn't have stayed up working last night till 2:30am, up again at 7:am :yawn:
Am I rambling? ... ....

Oh I thought you ment band baritone.....I wouldnt know if you were rambling, I am told I am one too. (Ask stoney for his opinion)

Kev
03-05-05, 12:28 AM
Oh I thought you ment band baritone.....I wouldnt know if you were rambling, I am told I am one too. (Ask stoney for his opinion)I would never do that, I was a little brother too.

EvilXbox
03-05-05, 12:29 AM
What? You're not going to ask him are you? Oh well I already know what hes going to say....YEY 50 post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stoneage_Caddy
03-05-05, 01:56 AM
What? You're not going to ask him are you? Oh well I already know what hes going to say....YEY 50 post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeez ....whata post whore .....

DeVillish
03-05-05, 06:10 AM
man i've been thinking about getting one of those, they have a ton here! I wana ride one first. I love the color, haha. hmm, iam 5'2 and 140, i'd propbably look to scale on that thing LOL!

Ralph
03-15-05, 03:14 AM
Stoney! Get a load of this....I think you should fabricate a little trailer and pull around the pocket bike in this..... ;)

(I think she's hotter than Dagmar..except her voice)

http://www.drivingtelevision.com/segmentviewer.php?episode=106&searchStatus=1&keyword=&segment=4&keywordcall=no&segtitle=Extreme%20Drives

Stoneage_Caddy
03-15-05, 12:35 PM
LOL , yah i seen those , they look like fun ...

and no dagmar is still hotter ....