: 1996 SLS Won't Disengage Parking brake when put into gear?

Twilightcall
03-02-05, 11:10 AM
My 1996 SLS won't let go of the parking brake when I put it in gear. The other day I had the p-brake on and put it in drive. Nothing happened. I found the manual release but I was wondering what would cause this. I checked all of my fuses in the entire car. Any info would be appreciated.

outlaw1369
03-02-05, 01:59 PM
Had the same problem with my 96 Deville. Also noticed a hissing noise coming from under my glove box. Unbolted the black panel under the passenger side dash (5 hex screws) and there was a clear box with 5 or 6 multicolored vaccum lines attached via a harness. The top couple lines has started to pull off thus creating a vaccum leak. Pushed the lines back on and next thing you know my parking brake works again. I am not sure if the brake release is controlled by vaccum it may just have been coincidence. Just my .02$

Ranger
03-02-05, 07:58 PM
I think the '96 is vacuum controlled with vacuum off of the A/C programmer behind the glove box. At some point (not sure when) they when to electronic control for the brake release (my duaghters '99 is electronically controlled).