: 98 STS one week owner, loving it so far! (Snow driving)

kjd03842
03-02-05, 09:22 AM
During my 1 week of ownership, I've already gone thru 3 snowstorms. Gotta say, the STS handles the snow like a dream.
In my Crown Vic, I was white-knuckle driving at 45mph, and couldn't even make it up hills in some cases. I actually had to use the rumble strip for traction on more than one occasion.
With the STS, I can drive 65-70 with CONFIDENCE. (Of course, I do slow down as required; I still have respect for the elements).
This is my first fwd vehicle, I never realized there was such a difference. I don't know if all fwd's handle it this well, but the STS is phenomenal.
So traction, handling, and braking are just leaps and bounds beyond what I am used too. I used to take time off instead of commuting 60 miles in the weather. Now it appears the weather will be much less of a factor.

Since I like sedans and don't want to drive an SUV, seems I've done well with the STS. Time will tell, but so far so good.

KD
43 year old NH driver

slk230mb
03-02-05, 01:30 PM
Good Luck and :welcome:

sts15l7
03-02-05, 01:33 PM
98 STS...nice...its an awesome car man...one of my most favorite cadillacs

96 sts here...havent driven it in snow much but my dad has and said it doesnt get that great traction...possibly because of my tires - they're pretty worn

have fun, enjoy, be safe, follow street regulations (e.g. speed limits, lights, etc.) :sneaky: i know it gets hard lolz

-Mir

airbalancer
03-02-05, 04:22 PM
98 are nice,
A nice set of winter tires can make all the difference in the world.
We have had our 99 for 1 1/2 and not problems
They are some of the best value used cars out there

caddydaddy
03-02-05, 05:24 PM
I don't drive my 2000 STS in the snow, but the one time I did, it was aweful! Must be the V-rated tires! My 94 Deville though, is awesome in the snow with just a good set of all-season tires.

CADDYBLACK99
03-03-05, 11:57 AM
Welcome KD!

Thanks for joining the forum! Congrats on the STS, sounds very nice. When you get a chance post a picture or two. I agree that a good set of tires will help with traction issues. I run Toyo Proxyes and found that they perform very well especially on wet/snow. (another New Englande snow veteran).
Good Luck.
:welcome:
Paul