: Racing shift

Andremator
07-20-13, 10:23 AM
Good Morning all,

So, I'm traveling 79mph in 6th gear when a silly little 350Z wants to play. I'm in 6th gear so I pop it into 4th, take it to 120 and try to go into 5th, it won't!! In the mean time the silly little Z catches up, forcing me to put it in 6th to keep going. Not sure what happened there, but why didn't it want to go into 5th? Any ideas?

Trapspeed
07-20-13, 10:49 AM
Dumb question but...in the heat of the minute are you sure you were trying fifth and not third? Been there. Has it happened again since?

Andremator
07-20-13, 10:53 AM
LOL. Yes, I'm positive it was fifth. It's happened before!

Zhariak
07-20-13, 11:24 AM
Just chiming in

Not sure how accurate this is, but I've always noticed 5th and 6th fussy on 2 separate V's... When driving calmly they go in without a problem, but when driving a little aggressively, there's a way to do it.

I'm guilty of grinding 5th a few times. I remember the first time I did it on my 2013, I was devastated! hahaha

Andremator
07-20-13, 02:44 PM
Zhariak, what do you suggest?

Zhariak
07-20-13, 04:52 PM
Zhariak, what do you suggest?

lol, I'm sorry but can't suggest anything...

Because it's semi-difficult to get in, I always used to put effort in to going completely to the right, then up to 5th. One day, after driving V's straight for almost 1.5 years, I noticed accidentally it actually went in to 5th super easy if you just push forward and very very very lightly to the right. I don't want to sound dumb, but I couldn't believe how easily it went in without any issues. It actually took me a while to master this, since I was always scared about accidently slamming it back in to 3rd... hahha

JFJr
07-20-13, 06:04 PM
I've got to see if it's more difficult to find 5th after 4th when accelerating hard. When I downshift from 6th to 4th to pass a car, I'm so impressed with the rocket acceleration that I go to 6th after passing. Also, on 2 lane public roads, I need to get out of the triple digits for many reasons. I scare the locals when I do this. If I go to 5th in those circumstances, I'll hit take-off speed pretty quick. Ha haa!

Jud :lildevil:

Zhariak
07-23-13, 06:21 PM
Well, since the OP posted the thread, I've had some time to play...

I've confirmed, if you push over right, and then up. It makes 5th somewhat more difficult to get in.

If you just push up from 4th and gently (lightly) put sideways (to the right) pressure on, it goes in super silky smooth.

Just make sure you don't accidently throw it back in to 3rd, lmao

Trapspeed
07-23-13, 08:45 PM

Just make sure you don't accidently throw it back in to 3rd, lmao

Exactly!!!