: Rust on Liftgate?

Skier-24
07-20-13, 10:26 AM
Anyone here have or had rust on the rear liftgate? Mine has rust bubbles at the top edge of the Cadillac emblem that is around the button to open the back glass. About half of the Escalades, Tahoes, and Suburbans I checked have this issue.
How would I remove the emblem? Is it attached with 3M tape? Anybody found touch-up paint that is a good match? I bought the aerosol from a dealer and it is not even close.

pmartell12
07-20-13, 10:49 PM
I had it on mine, the rear emblem is on with double stick tape, I worked it off with 2 putty knifes working from the top and going down the sides.... for the wiper arm you have to open the glass hatch and remove the plastic trim inside the window.. there should be a nut holding the wiper arm onto the motor.. after that is removed the wiper motor will come out with 3 bolts inside the tailgate. I sanded down all the rust, filled with a little bondo to smooth it out, sanded, sanded, sanded, then painted with 3 coats of duplicolor perfect match universal black paint and 3 coats of duplicolor perfect match clear... after it dried I polished it with some rubbing compound.. reapplied the emblems using 3m automotive trim tape, put the wiper motor and arm back on and called it a day. whole process took me 5 hours on a Saturday.

grayparatrooper
07-25-13, 01:40 AM
I had it on mine, the rear emblem is on with double stick tape, I worked it off with 2 putty knifes working from the top and going down the sides.... for the wiper arm you have to open the glass hatch and remove the plastic trim inside the window.. there should be a nut holding the wiper arm onto the motor.. after that is removed the wiper motor will come out with 3 bolts inside the tailgate. I sanded down all the rust, filled with a little bondo to smooth it out, sanded, sanded, sanded, then painted with 3 coats of duplicolor perfect match universal black paint and 3 coats of duplicolor perfect match clear... after it dried I polished it with some rubbing compound.. reapplied the emblems using 3m automotive trim tape, put the wiper motor and arm back on and called it a day. whole process took me 5 hours on a Saturday.

Did you take off your whole wiper arm? I want to replace mine cuz it's faded and ugly but don't really know how.