: Remote control

CATERA 98
03-02-05, 03:33 AM
hi everyody, last week i noticed that the RC is not working well 'i could'nt open the doors or the trunk unless i get soo close to the car' so i changed the batteries and since that time the RC is not working!!!! what should i do?
the car is a catera 1998

thanks alot.

Jemalin
03-02-05, 08:50 PM
i'm not sure about the cady but on my BMW you hve only a few seconds to change the battery. I guess it is dealer time to reprogram it.

Vesicant
03-02-05, 09:03 PM
When you're near the vehicle, hold down (first) the trunk button... then within one second - press and hold down the lock button.. hold both down for 3 seconds.

CATERA 98
03-03-05, 04:05 PM
When you're near the vehicle, hold down (first) the trunk button... then within one second - press and hold down the lock button.. hold both down for 3 seconds.

Sorry but it dose'nt work like u told me :-((( any other ideas???

CATERA 98
03-04-05, 06:37 AM
any one has an idea!!!:hmm:

stevehogan
03-04-05, 09:25 AM
Jeffery G is correct in what he told you, assuming that the new battery is OK and installed properly. The procedure he outlined allows the car to resync itself with the remote. If that didn't work and if the battery is indeed good and installed properly, then either 1) the remote is bad, or 2) the car won't sync to the remote for some reason. (Generally this means that the car locks have been operated a large number of times since the time that the bad remote became inoperative.) Either way, it's off-to-the-dealer for you :helpless: They need to check out the remote (with a test set that most dealers have available) and, assuming the remote is good, resync both of your remotes to the car using the Tech II tool. There is no way to install new remotes (or reinstall existing remotes) to a Catera without using a Tech II. Should cost you about $30 :crying: (plus the cost of a new remote if the old one is bad).

radar2000
03-04-05, 10:10 AM

Hi JefferyG.

Is this the proceedure that you would use if you buy a new remote? My dads remote does not seem to work for his 2000 Catera and he has changed the batteries.

Can anyone let me know where is the cheapest place to purchase a remote for my dads Catera? I'm here in Toronto/Canada, and the dealership is asking for +$100.

Thanks.

AllenPacla
03-04-05, 08:10 PM
I am just wondering, isn't an aftermarket remote with remote starter a better option if you would pay the dealer that much for a new remote(the original). I have been thinking of doing this to my 97 Catera even though my remote is still working fine. I like the idea of being able to start the car even before i get in, sort of warming it up a little, specially during winter months. I just don't know if it's a good option for our Catera since it's known to have a lot of electrical problem specially once you mess up one thing. Has anyone here tried this? Does anyone here have an aftermarket remote/starter for his Catera?

omega1599
03-07-05, 04:07 AM
stand near car hold lock and unlock at same time for thirty seconds should here clicking locks then should be fine