: Does this car look like a good deal price-wise?

bwv565
07-20-13, 02:13 AM
Thinking of jumping back into the Northstar world. Looked at this DTS and liked it but am wondering if it's too much. Canadian Blackbook (same as KBB) says it should be around $12000.

http://www.shopwilsons.com/detail-2008-cadillac-dts-sunroof_leather_exclamation_heated_slash_cooled_se ats_exclamation_certified_exclamation_-used-10603465.html

The pics make the car look darker than it actually is but the color is really quite nice, I haven't seen many of this color in my area.

Superjim
07-20-13, 09:11 AM
Offer them $11,000 and then negotiate from there...

Gomaz
07-20-13, 02:02 PM
not a bad deal, not a fan of the bench seat but other than that do like Superjim says and offer $11,000

jazoo
07-20-13, 02:29 PM
I hope you are not concerned about getting a smoker's car as the ad does not mention anything about it. According to the Car Fax Report, the previous owner put on ~14,300 miles/year which is way above the norm to me. There is no maintenance history records. Having said that, the car looks clean inside/outside. If the KBB says $12,000.00 then you should not go above $11,000.00 unless, of course, if you love the car & after getting it c/ked out buy your mechanic.

One more thing, check out the body rust unless it is driven in non-salt/sand conditions during winter times.

DevilleDeeman
07-23-13, 11:33 AM
Didn't even know the DTS came with column shift and bench seat. The older versions would be called a DHS or Deville without the floor shifter and buckets.

bwv565
07-23-13, 11:36 AM
@DevilleDeeman, yes that's right. I personally don't like the shifter on the steering wheel, it's reminiscent of the earlier days. The floor version is so much nicer as it is in my 2003 STS. But with used cars one cannot be too picky sometimes. Other things may be more important, such as color, condition, mileage, etc.

P.S. This is all moot now as I decided I didn't care for the dealership's selling tactics and passed on this car.

Cadillac_Phx
07-23-13, 03:18 PM
As nice as these cars are they don't hold great resale value, which is good if your buying used;)
I got my 2006 DTS Lux 3 for $6,700 with 137,000 miles & drives like new. No sunroof BUT I got the floor shifter and woodgrain steering wheel. I would NOT buy a DTS without floor shifter or woodgrain steering wheel.

bwv565
07-30-13, 06:01 PM
OK here's another one I'm looking at, feedback appreciated. Canadian Black Book says it's the right price for this mileage and year. Keep in mind the 222K are kilometers, not miles.

http://inventory.kitchenerford.com/used/vehicle/2007-cadillac-dts---id359003.htm

Submariner409
07-30-13, 08:22 PM
138,000 miles is high mileage, no matter how you cut it. The car was sold/traded for one or several expensive reasons......... and it's now 7 model years old ........ so that equals about 32,000 Km/year or 20,000 miles/year - lease or rental car. What's the Canadian annual mileage average - in the U.S it's about 12,500 miles/year.

(222 X .62 = 137.6)

Pictures lie - any decent contract detail shop can make a used car look superficially new.

bwv565
07-30-13, 08:47 PM
That's a good question re: annual mileage average. I guess like anywhere else it really depends on the owner, area, etc. I would say about 20,000 km/year but I could be totally mistaken. The salesperson I spoke with said it was a trade (it's a Ford dealer) and no accidents but standard dings, etc. on the body. The dealership is about 90 mins from my house so I haven't seen it yet. I'll probably pass but was curious. I still have the STS (kept it instead of trading for the Mustang, have both now), but am always on the lookout for a newer DTS.

Superjim
07-30-13, 11:02 PM
The last one you posted...the black one with 222,893 km...
It doesn't even have heated seats... front or rear...

I would pass... especially at that price and that mileage...

ryannel2003
07-30-13, 11:59 PM
Have you also considered an '04-'05 Deville? Like you I came from an STS (with a BMW along the way) and though I was originally looking for another STS I ended up with my Deville which I have thoroughly enjoyed. Mine is a base model but I paid $5k and it had 106k miles when I bought it. So far it's needed an A/C recharge, two front wheel hubs and a motor mount.

bwv565
07-31-13, 12:51 AM
ryannel, I love the DeVilles, in fact even before I bought my STS I was looking for one but couldn't find the year/price/color that I wanted (my favorites being the 97-99). I don't care for the 2002-2005 body style and as we all know the 99s had muchos problemos so that's why I'm thinking maybe an 06+ DTS would fit the bill. I'm just looking around, after my STS experience I'm a little gun shy but there are possibilities. Anyway I will probably pass on this one too. Thanks for your reply.

Tom's Caddy
07-31-13, 02:31 PM
That 2006 certified, E tested and any kind of warranty for $6000 is a very good buy in my humble opinion. If the crossover gaskets are not leaking it is a good buy, up in the great white north, go look at it.:yup:

teckguy
07-31-13, 08:02 PM
For reference sake I just bought a 2006 DTS Luxury 3 with Titanium paint and 40,000kms, that's 25,000 miles for $12,750.....flew thru e-test and safety....looks like brand new :), oh and never seen winter so the rims are also like new.

Original everything so busy changing filters and fluids and a squeaky serpentine belt...not too much pain.

bwv565
08-01-13, 05:29 PM
@teckguy did you buy it privately or at a dealership?

teckguy
08-01-13, 10:13 PM
Good old Auto Trader....I looked at several before I made the decision. There is a nice clean white one in Barrie on Kijji for around 11K that was also nice....just could not resist the low mileage and no winters.

bwv565
08-02-13, 01:54 PM
Good old Auto Trader...

Yes but Autotrader has both private and dealer listings.

----------

OK here's another one. http://www.shopwilsons.com/detail-2006-cadillac-dts-sunroof_and_leather_exclamation_htd_slash_cooled_s eats_exclamation_chrome_exclamation_-used-10789692.html

dodger21
08-02-13, 05:39 PM
I am looking for a 2006/2007. What about the 90000 miles? Is that a red flag.....always leery of high miles.

bwv565
08-04-13, 10:29 AM
Test drove this one yesterday: http://www.dellfinecars.ca/inv_cadillacdtsblack.asp

2006 w/111K km, has every possible option I've ever seen. Drives great, body looks good and it has the bigger performance engine as well. The only thing that was not working were the three homelink buttons on the overhead console, when you push them, they just push up into the plastic and don't work. I suppose it's no biggie in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway it's truly beautiful. They're asking $12995 (CAD). I'm going to drive it again and take it to a) a mechanic and b) a GM dealer to get the service history. It might be just the one.

teckguy
08-04-13, 11:31 AM
Look at the white one in Barrie for $11500 cdn with 60,000 KMS on it.... It's a lux III

Mine was private and the dealer gave me the full history when I went in....one seat memory module and that was it ever.

I have a couple burt out LEDs on the third brake light and a serpentine belt that's squeaky but I'll have it perfect on no time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

bwv565
08-04-13, 02:50 PM
Prefer black exterior but thanks.

jazoo
08-04-13, 03:38 PM
For reference sake I just bought a 2006 DTS Luxury 3 with Titanium paint and 40,000kms, that's 25,000 miles for $12,750.....flew thru e-test and safety....looks like brand new :), oh and never seen winter so the rims are also like new.

Original everything so busy changing filters and fluids and a squeaky serpentine belt...not too much pain.

Congrats!! Welcome to the DTS Forum. You acquired a jewel with a good price.

Enjoy your new luxury.:thumbsup:

Superjim
08-04-13, 04:57 PM
Test drove this one yesterday: http://www.dellfinecars.ca/inv_cadillacdtsblack.asp

2006 w/111K km, has every possible option I've ever seen. Drives great, body looks good and it has the bigger performance engine as well. The only thing that was not working were the three homelink buttons on the overhead console, when you push them, they just push up into the plastic and don't work. I suppose it's no biggie in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway it's truly beautiful. They're asking $12995 (CAD). I'm going to drive it again and take it to a) a mechanic and b) a GM dealer to get the service history. It might be just the one.

If you decide that is the one you want... make the sale conditional on "THEM" fixing the Homelink buttons...

bwv565
08-04-13, 07:30 PM
If you decide that is the one you want... make the sale conditional on "THEM" fixing the Homelink buttons...

That goes without saying.

jazoo
08-05-13, 03:25 PM
This is seven model years old car with ~138,000 miles. The previous owner has driven ~20,000 miles/year which is way above the norm. The listed price may seem low but you are buying some one else problems for a used car with >138,000 miles. I would pass especially at that high mileage.

bwv565
08-06-13, 11:39 AM
@jazoo who are you talking to, and in reference to which vehicle?

jazoo
08-06-13, 08:53 PM
@jazoo who are you talking to, and in reference to which vehicle?

Hey bwv565, I was talking about a message you posted on 7/30/2013 re: a 2007 Caddy with 222k kilometers.

bwv565
08-06-13, 09:01 PM
Hey bwv565, I was talking about a message you posted on 7/30/2013 re: a 2007 Caddy with 222k kilometers.

Ah ok, i couldn't tell if your msg was in response to the last one in the thread or earlier. In any event, yes I totally agree and decided to pass on that one due to exactly what you said, the high kilometers and also since the salesperson gave me the impression on the phone that he wasn't all that enamored with it. And I've decided against the other two as well, the white one because, well it's white and the black performance pkg that I just saw this weekend because the dealership was a little sketchy, I think. They didn't return a phone call or email message so that's already a red flag for me.

Anyway my STS rides better than ever, so I don't NEED a new car at the moment, however now I think I may have to replace one or more of the Bose speakers. The verdict is still out on that, and I'm taking the car to the one place in the Toronto area that services GM audio/OnStar systems. I actually trust them and like their work, so I'll see what they say...the sound is currently 'crackling' and it makes it really annoying to listen to the radio that way.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it!

billbill1
08-12-13, 08:43 AM
I got a real buzz, reading this Thread, on reasons for or against, floor shift.
It gives a good look at preferences, by age groups. Floor shift makes it a 5 passenger car, with
smaller armrest. For me this makes for one Grandchild/Great Grandchild in the trunk, and less armrest
help, getting into car. This wouldn't of occurred to me, at 25 .