: KC what do ya think of this bike?

Dead Sled
02-06-03, 10:18 PM
1996 FXDWG turbo (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2402292970&category=6707)

I got a thing for Dyna Widegildes

what do ya think?

kcnewell
02-06-03, 10:43 PM
OK, Here's what I think! It's a nice bike with some limitations. The claimed top speed with stock gearing at the stated R.P.M. is nonsense! Another BIG problem is that the stock Evo. engine cases CAN NOT! handle that kind of horsepower. The Timken main bearing races that are pressed into the (Too thin) aluminum cases will loosen and start turning particularly at high R.P.M. That will make the locator snap ring between the Timken races start to turn and will wear out the slot that the ring is in and also effect the ability of the oiling system to get oil to the Timken bearings 'cause at the top of the slot in line with the opening in the snap ring is the main bearing oiling hole. Another problem with that particular model set up with that kind of power is kind of complicated to get into in this post but suffice it to say that in long sweeping curves when you turn on the throttle the motorcycle tends to go out of camber and get very squirrley! NOT a nice feeling at speed. The more power it has ...The worse the problem tends to be! If that's not enough info let me know and I'll give you more. I work on these things all the time and I would NEVER buy nor would I recommend one of these to my customers that like to ride hard.....If you like to putt around and profile they're probably OK.

Devil_concours
02-06-03, 10:46 PM
what about the turboed bored out busa that is dynoed at 500hp?

kcnewell
02-06-03, 10:49 PM
Sorry dude man, I like 'em but I don't fix 'em!

Dead Sled
02-06-03, 10:52 PM
wow, I have much to learn from you :D I was just out looking around for some FXDWGs and this one kind of stood out with the turbo and all. I didn't plan on buying it or any thing it was just unusual. I'd like to find something a little bit more streetable and fun to ride. what should I look for in a FXDWG? whats good, whats bad?

thanks Ryan

kcnewell
02-06-03, 11:01 PM
I got'a go now but I'll send you some stuff in the morning. I.M.H.O. the Dyna Glides are really badly designed bikes as are many of the latest models from H.D. The V-Rod's a P.O.S. too. I've put all these bikes through their paces and most of them DO NOT! impress me. I expect a lot more for my money than they are now building!........Sad, But (typically) True!

Devil_concours
02-06-03, 11:01 PM
wow your knowledge in bikes is amazing.
I don't know much about bikes and if i were to get one i know who i need to talk to first.
What about jap bikes? Are you as knowledgeable as you are in harley?

Dead Sled
02-06-03, 11:07 PM
I never liked the V-Rod either, or crotch rockets for that matter

I know HD quality has gone down hill and price went up

I like the wide rear tires and a little bit more rake like the FXDWG has over the Sportster

kcnewell
02-06-03, 11:14 PM
I Know what I like but I don't really spend any time with the Jap. bikes. I am by NO means a Harley-Davidson purist/apologist. but I've been riding them and wrenching on them for MANY years and I currently ride one. If you've noticed in my signature line it definetley isn't a new one! What you can't see is all the mods that are in the thing to make it work right and hold up to the kind of riding I do! To make a long story short...If a customer wanted JUST the engine mods in theirs that I've done in mine ( And quite a few do) it would cost around $15,000 and that's not including suspension mods tranny mods and chassis mods!....It can and does get very expensive!