: I need help again from my fellow 1968 Deville Owners

07-19-13, 11:21 PM
I am looking for help with my heat.

Car had it DX'd so I am starting over. Got the Core back in.

Now I just need help with the hose routing.

It has the rear of head water outlet.

This hot water valve with vacuum hook ups needs to be inline somewhere .

So the hose to the radiator goes to what? and the hose from the engine goes to....?

That bended hose looks like....?

Any help????

07-21-13, 11:39 PM
Nothing? Maybe a 69 owner?

07-22-13, 12:24 AM
The valve usually goes inline with the hose from the back of the engine to the heater core on most cars. These pics are from the 69 manual. It doesnt give much info on the valve nor does it have good pics.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad196/csbuckn/20130721_231137.jpg (http://s935.photobucket.com/user/csbuckn/media/20130721_231137.jpg.html)
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad196/csbuckn/20130721_225419.jpg (http://s935.photobucket.com/user/csbuckn/media/20130721_225419.jpg.html)
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad196/csbuckn/20130721_224758.jpg (http://s935.photobucket.com/user/csbuckn/media/20130721_224758.jpg.html)

07-22-13, 04:19 PM
Here is how my ’68’s hoses are routed: the ” hose goes from the heater core to the outlet on the right hand side of the radiator. The 5/8” hose goes from the heater core to the outlet on the engine just over to the right of the water pump. This is the hose that also gets the water control valve. It was originally mounted on the right fender well, right above the control arm.

There are then three vacuum lines that go to the valve; the red stripe line goes to the nipple on top of the diaphragm. The yellow goes on the upper of the two nipples, the purple on the lower.

It’s interesting that you have a water outlet at the rear of the head. The 425 in my ’79 Cad is like that, but not my ’68.

Hope this helps.

07-22-13, 05:58 PM
Actually my engine is a later model so I don't know what to do.

The valve can not go to the head hose because that sucker is too short.

I am pretty sure the hose from the radiator will have the valve in it and it does hook onto the fender wall.

The only thing is I don't know what hose goes where. The top of the core or the bottom.

Or how to shape the short hose.

07-22-13, 06:22 PM
The coolant from the head will be hotter then the coolant from the radiator. I'd probably find a way to put it inline with the head.

07-22-13, 07:55 PM
I agree it will be hotter. But how does it flow? From head through core to radiator, or from radiator, through core to head?

07-22-13, 09:17 PM
So, you must be running a 425 or 368 then.

The outlet at the back of the head is the one you will hook your water control valve to (with a short hose), it takes a 5/8" heater hose. Then from the water control valve, you will hook it up to the 5/8" outlet on the heater core. The other heater core outlet is 3/4" and will hook up to you radiator, also 3/4".

Speaking from experience, the hose at the back of the head is very difficult to get at. You will need to use a thin hose strap, or the oem compression type.

It should work out great!

07-23-13, 06:22 PM
No, my engine is a 500.

there only seems to be room for about a couple of inches of hose.

And it will be S shaped and need a shaping coil.

07-29-13, 10:47 PM
Here are a couple photos of the water control valve on my '79 Cadillac. This should be the same setup you would use for your '68, with the newer 500. Hope it helps.