: Audi climbs roller coaster ramp in snow

D148L0
03-01-05, 08:42 PM
Really cool.

http://www.idleriot.com/content/clips/316/Audi_climbs_roller_coaster_ramp_in_snow.html

danbuc
03-01-05, 08:54 PM
That was freakin' rediculous!!!! :holycrap:

slk230mb
03-01-05, 09:11 PM
That was crazy.

Adumb
03-01-05, 09:25 PM
it didnt play for me :(

RealmCenter
03-01-05, 09:29 PM
2 things, 1 in case anyone is interested the music tracks used during that clip were by Prodigy off "Fat of the Land". 2 That car was clearly being pulled up the ramp in the second half of the clip as you can see the teather it's being dragged up by (watch it as it comes up and look at the front undercarriage of the car).
Darren

Blackout
03-01-05, 09:39 PM
the cable on it was for safety reasons. If it gets up there and it starts to slide back and it can't stop then you don't want it to just fly off the end of the ramp so that was there incase that happened so they could grab it

RealmCenter
03-01-05, 09:52 PM
If that was the case there should be slack in the cable, it was taut as the car came up. If the cable was there solely for security reasons it would be bowed as the car came up the ramp. Right? Even if that car were able to muscle its way up that grade without any external assistance, no snow tires in the world would be able to hold it at that incline without it sliding back and that car stopped and stayed put without the wheels still pulling forward. I doub't a Wrangler could have pulled off that stunt and that's a full blown true blue off road vehicle.

danbuc
03-01-05, 10:13 PM
Teh second set of tires they used, to enable it to climb all the way up, were skinny metal studded tires similar to those used on rally cars in ice and snow. They are not regular snow tires. That's how the car managed to grip that ramp so well. If you notce, before they changed the tires, the car would only make it up so far, before the regualr snow tires ran out of traction.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-01-05, 10:27 PM
Ive seen a smilar stunt audi did with the old "quattro" cars in the early 80s ...i forget its name , but they were a coupe , very fast, very sucessful rally cars ....5cyl turbo no less

gothicaleigh
03-01-05, 10:39 PM
Nice, but what is the point of that?
No one is going to run spiked tires on their Audi and it obviously couldn't handle it with common snow tires.

The cable is a tether device so the car doesn't fall (think of the ones on those rock climbing wall things). It's not pulling the car up.

I want to see them run up other 4WD/AWD cars now with those same tires just to see if it warrants all the hype. If you read the replies in the thread below the video they hint that there were other tests... is there a longer version of the video out there?

Stoneage_Caddy
03-01-05, 10:43 PM
I dunno , i think the Audi and maybe subarus might have a distinct advantage in that test ...due to the engine placmeent in the chassis , boath have the engine mounted very far forward of the front axel line ....this might be the only time thats a good thing as that puts the CG about right where youd want it to run the thing up a slope like that .....granted neither have ther engine mounted this way for that purpose but ...you get my drift (pun intended)

davesdeville
03-01-05, 11:00 PM
I'm gonna have to rent an Audi and find out for myself. I'd think it's real because the track gets steeper and if a cable was pulling it it would go up through the air between the car and the top instead of lying flat. Those are some very spikey tires.. I had my foot run over by a car once, I'm glad it was regular tires not those. :eek: