: 84 fleetwood heater/air fan problems

wood84
07-19-13, 12:04 PM
I bought my 84 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance a year ago and noticed the fan didn't kick on right away in lo or high setting but would kick on after 3-4 minutes or sometimes 6-8 minutes. I had better luck setting it in auto and it seemed to respond quicker. Now it will not come on at all. I can hear the duct work opening and can feel cool air or hot air, depending on the setting, yet I get no fan action at all. Fuses are ok but have not checked relay yet. Any one ever have similar problems? The car is in excellant condition and completely original.

csbuckn
07-19-13, 12:46 PM
I believe the delay is normal, it wont come on till the engine is up to temp...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

j2rossit
07-19-13, 12:55 PM
That's correct, It won't blow the air until the car thinks it's ready to put out whatever temp air your asking from it, but wood84 is saying it's not coming on at all.
You can run a jumper wire from the blower motor case to ground to bypass the fan controls and check that the fan itself is good.

----------

The orange (or is it tan?) wire that connects to the blower motor should be reading 12V and hot-at-all-times.

carnut
07-19-13, 08:22 PM
The climate control fan only delays when the in car temperature is colder than outside air, assuming its in the normal auto position. The fan is delayed until engine temp gets to about 150 degrees so as to not blow cold air into a cold car. There is no delay in defrost. The logical test would be to verify the fan motor is getting 12 volts to it and the motor has a good clean and tight ground. The ground wire goes from the blower motor to just under the center hood bumper stop. Is it clean and tight? To rule out the blower motor itself, run a jumper wire from the battery to the connector at the motor. It should run immediately.

wood84
08-14-13, 10:33 AM
As mentiond in my post the fan does not kick on at all. Recently it has been kicking on for 1-2 seconds and shuts off and will not come on again, not even in defrost mode.

----------

I will try the jump test. Recently the fan has been coming on for 1-2 seconds and shutting off, this happens in the defrost setting also. I dont believe it has anything to do with the inside car temp or the engine temp.

----------

Your right, it wasn't coming on at ll, recently when setting the defrost mode the fan will run for 1-2 seconds and shut off and not come back on at all. I will bypass the controlls to make sure the fan is good, Thanks

busayman
09-27-13, 11:43 PM
hi, can someone please direct me to the location of the a/c relay.

my 84 CDV has new compressor/accumulator. flushed, vacuumed, oiled and freoned and I still get just hot air on high if I turn the a/c on at temp setting of 60. clutch notr kicking in. its hot here in Houston and my wife is nagging me for a/c...

j2rossit
09-28-13, 08:36 AM
I'm not entirely sure what Relay you are referring to.
The system has a cycling switch mounted close to the accumulator with a little tube that runs along down to the evaporator inlet pipe. This cycles the compressor to make sure it doesn't freeze up the evaporator. This switch can get stuck as it starts wearing out. Sometimes giving it a good tap can free it up temporarily. You can check the switch by making sure it has no resistance. You can also bypass the switch (jumper the black/grey wires on the wire harness) for testing purposes to help isolate the problem.
The problem could also be your low pressure switch. Run a jumper wire from the black wire coming out of the compressor wire harness to ground to bypass the pressure switch.
You can test the clutch by running a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the blue wire on the compressor clutch and see if the clutch engages.
The compressor gets power from the Blower resistor module mounted beside the blower motor. A very common part to die around here so they are impossible to find, but being down in Houston you might be able to find one on the bone yards. I don't know of any good way of testing the resistor module.

busayman
09-28-13, 10:05 AM
thanks, you have given me direction and purpose here. I will run through this and report my progress. someone told me about a a/c relay that is why I was asking although I suspected that rusted out cycling switch originally. Hoorah! could you tell me where the low pressure switch is. I only know the one that is in the compressor. I have a brand new compressor in now. also where is the blower motor relay located please?

j2rossit
09-28-13, 10:41 AM
The pressure switch is in the compressor, so it's probably fine. Still an easy thing to test though.

The Ape Man
09-28-13, 11:16 AM
84? What blower relay? It uses a control module in series with the blower ground.

busayman
09-28-13, 02:16 PM
where is the blower motor relay, the Blower resistor module and the blower motor located please?

cadillac kevin
09-28-13, 02:35 PM
where is the blower motor relay, the Blower resistor module and the blower motor located please?

Passengers side of the engine bay against the firewall.

busayman
09-28-13, 03:14 PM
thanks for the help, really appreciate it cause I am trying to do as much of the restore my wife and myself before we send her to the paint shop for original paint scheme redo. A/c systems are new ground for me.. hahahahah just looked out and its raining cats and dogs. guess I will have to pull the benz out of the garage to finish this.

j2rossit
09-28-13, 03:55 PM
There's no blower relay.
I assume you'll see the blower motor, the resistor module sits in the air plenum right beside it with a 6 prong connector sticking out the top and a black wire that runs to the center of the firewall.
The cycle switch is in front of the blower motor with a little charged freon tube that runs along the AC system to get a temperature reading.

busayman
09-29-13, 02:53 PM
change the cycling switch. but got nothing. when I jumper the blue wire on the compressor to battery positive the compressor kicks on and the air is less warm although the accumulator is a bit cold. resistor is special order so I have to wait to change it. I got the blower motor yesterday and will put it on today. just woke up: wifey and I went to an after hours club last night. lol. anyway any idea what else I might do? is it worth it to get a used resistor out of LKQ salvage?

j2rossit
09-29-13, 04:13 PM
Those blower resistor modules are so expensive to buy new or rebuilt for this generation of GM that all the cars I see in the wreckers around here have that module gone the instant it arrives in the yard. But that part seems to last longer in the southern states, so you might get lucky and find one.

busayman
09-30-13, 12:29 PM
i will buy a new one today. que sera...

busayman
10-01-13, 08:56 AM
when I jumper the compressor I still get only hot air even though the accumulator is cold. found a broken vacuum hose to the heater valve and fixed that but still nothing. got a resistor control module at lkq yesterday but it was in bad shape. so I will buy a brand new one for 300.00 it will be here in 3 days... any advice about the warm air pls?

The Ape Man
10-01-13, 08:58 PM
Czech the air mode door in back of da glovebox. Have you heard clicking ghosts in the dash?

j2rossit
10-02-13, 10:18 AM
You mentioned that the accumulator was getting cold. Was it getting ice cold with condensation? or just a little cooler than at room temp? Do you have any AC pressure guages?