: 2005 STS with Nav Ipod interface help???

jhj4519
07-19-13, 12:01 AM
Alright guys i have 05 STS with nav... im looking for a ipod soution beside using the RCA Jack. I would be nice if i could use the touch screen or the radio controls.. I been looking around and iSimple GateWay has this ISGM574 interface for calillac sts 06-2011. Im not understanding why this will not work on my 2005 since the nav radio in the 2005-2007 are the same. Not even sure if its meant for the nav radios. Anyone tried to use the isimple??? or have any other ipod solutions??:suspense:

1BadCadSTS
07-19-13, 02:04 AM
Works fine on my 05 sts with nav.

jhj4519
07-19-13, 02:30 AM
I thought it should work but i wasnt sure... Thanks for the reply.

----------

Has any installed the isimple ipod interface and a lockpick?? is it even possible??

1BadCadSTS
07-19-13, 06:24 AM
Yup. I have both. You'll need a modified lock pick to work on an 05 and they are no longer made. Unless you have one your sol.

jhj4519
07-19-13, 06:35 AM
yeah i was asking because i already have one.. Not a lot of room behind the nav radio to work with. if u got any cable management suggestion i would appreciate it. Otherwise thank for the help!

1BadCadSTS
07-19-13, 08:49 AM
Tie a string to the wire around back and pull it while feeding the radio in.

Not easy by any means. I have an hdrt and a blustar back there too. I switch between the two every so often.

jhj4519
07-19-13, 11:08 AM
ok i will give that a try. I will post back when i install the interface. Thanks again!

Ludacrisvp
07-19-13, 02:49 PM
1badcadsts - thoughts on the HD radio?
worth it?

1BadCadSTS
07-19-13, 05:23 PM
For hockey season it is. A few other stations I listen to on occasion. If you pay retail I don't think so. If you wanna buy mine id sell it haha.

EChas3
07-19-13, 08:00 PM
I added the HD when I did mine. I never use it. DO NOT SPLICE/SPLIT ANTENNA WIRE/CONNECTORS. You'll lose too much signal and regret it. If you go this route, add another antenna. I use a little aux job I had laying around from an old analog cell phone. It works just fine in the glove box.

I too, use a string to get all the connectors & cables back where they need to be. The GPS wire is short and makes it a tricky job.

The 2005-7 Nav is not identical, but often compatible.

jhj4519
07-19-13, 08:20 PM
so what the difference between the 2005 nav and the 2006,2007? is it software or different specs???

1BadCadSTS
07-19-13, 08:22 PM
Different security checks to lock out the nav.

jhj4519
07-19-13, 10:11 PM
Different security checks to lock out the nav.

So could u buy a used 2007 nav and put it in a 2005?

EChas3
07-19-13, 10:43 PM
I meant the 2005-2007 Nav is different than the the later ones. Maybe there are other variations. Check part numbers to be sure.

Members report success with some unmatched swaps but there is some risk involved.

The firmware upgrade for the early years is very worthwhile and required to use the newest map disks.

jhj4519
08-06-13, 01:44 AM
(The firmware upgrade for the early years is very worthwhile and required to use the newest map disks.) What do u mean by that? Are u saying that the 2007 firmware is better??? Do the later unit repond faster?

EChas3
08-06-13, 09:39 PM
If you have a 2005-7 Nav with the original firmware level, the voice recognition, Bluetooth connectivity and a few other functions are even worse than later models/firmware versions. What's more, you cannot use the latest map disks.

If you have MRC, it's also harder to change the setting on the original version.

There's a link in the 'Sticky' thread at the top of the forum that explains all. Check your firmware version. If you don't have the upgrade, pay a dealer to upgrade your Nav. It's worth it.

Guy.Seminerio
08-06-13, 10:10 PM
How does the dealer do this upgrade? Do they put some upgrade disk in and then take it back out? How long does it take? What should they charge?

dkozloski
08-06-13, 10:36 PM
It takes two data CDs, a TSB, and $100 to get it done.

EChas3
08-06-13, 10:41 PM
Koz is on targit. Some dealers charge more, rarely less. I think EWill3 once said it could be done in about 45 minutes but a hour minimum can be more than $100. I think the shop manual procedure instructs the tech to write down all the radio presets, etc. and re-enter them. There's a link in the 'Sticky' thread at the top of the forum.

Guy.Seminerio
08-07-13, 12:07 AM
Not seeing the link in the sticky but that's alright. Sooo how much would these cats have to charge me above 100 before I should object?

jhj4519
08-07-13, 01:58 AM
what does TSB stand for?

----------

Where is the sticky?

----------

oh ok Technical Service Bulletins.

REALTORBENJAMIN
09-19-13, 12:59 AM
Works fine on my 05 sts with nav.

so you got the isimple on your 2005 w/ nav and it works fine?

this has been said over and over again, but both options on their websites say 2005 won't work...

I tried an FM transmitter for a road trip and nearly threw it out the window.

think i'll give it a shot.

Guy.Seminerio
09-19-13, 07:24 PM
Fm transmitters are the worst things I've ever had to deal with. It was during that twilight zone of when cars stopped having the cassette deck and didn't yet have auxiliary in or the RCA cables like we have.

1BadCadSTS
09-19-13, 07:28 PM
so you got the isimple on your 2005 w/ nav and it works fine?

this has been said over and over again, but both options on their websites say 2005 won't work...

I tried an FM transmitter for a road trip and nearly threw it out the window.

think i'll give it a shot.

Yes. It works fine on my 05. Works the exact same as on my fathers 07

EChas3
09-19-13, 11:30 PM
For a legal FM transmitter setup to work properly, it really ought to to be inserted between the radio & the antenna. FCC rules so limit signal strength that most of them can't even achieve FM's normal frequency response of 50Hz-15kHz +3dB w' 50dB S/N.

That's missing almost 2 octaves, but very few people over 30 can hear over 15kHz, anyway. The majority of FM broadcast stations use both equalization and compression technology to 'improve' their sound. Equalization, most people understand; be it an equalizer or 'loudness' button. Compression is more tricky. It makes the quiet passages louder so the listener can still hear them and not turn up the radio. Between the two, the program material of many popular radio stations can sound quite different than what left the production studio.

Hi-jacking the STS XM input with the i-Simple or uPAC-STS, or even using the input jacks is line-level audio and properly grounded, can do far better than that. Frequency response can approach the ideal 20-20kHz with virtually no losses or noise except those introduced by ground-loops, etc. If you can't ground both ends to the same chassis ground, consider an isolated power supply for your device and/or a similar car audio product to reduce noise.

mjcaddy
09-22-13, 02:05 AM
if you are looking for a simple fast solution that works like the FM transmitter then get a 3.5mm jack to RCN connector and use your aux inputs inside your center console like i did, i got the cable form FRYS electronics for $4 and connected my phone, there is also a power outlet there so you can charge while playing, the only thing is that you cant control your music from car screen, you need to reach to your phone/ipod and change the songs from there.
http://images.frys.com/art/product/300x300/1754917.01.prod.jpg
http://www.frys.com/product/1754917;jsessionid=RQfT+GhbaOaSWKtV52hJYA__.node1? site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Guy.Seminerio
09-22-13, 09:37 AM
I see a lot of the red and white setups without the yellow. I happen to have one. I used to have one with all 3 but it was a piece of crap that fell apart. Never messed with it much. If you have a setup with all 3 will the screen play videos off the iPod?

curtc
09-22-13, 10:38 AM
I see a lot of the red and white setups without the yellow. I happen to have one. I used to have one with all 3 but it was a piece of crap that fell apart. Never messed with it much. If you have a setup with all 3 will the screen play videos off the iPod?

Yes, the Apple audio/video cable will allow you to do that.

EChas3
09-23-13, 11:18 PM
Make sure cables are Apple compatable, if that's what you have. You need a Lockpick to prevent video lockout when in motion.

REALTORBENJAMIN
10-03-13, 06:57 PM
Yes. It works fine on my 05. Works the exact same as on my fathers 07

Good enough for me.

How was installation?

----------

hmmmmm.