: inside door handle

Alden's Daddy
07-18-13, 01:49 PM
Anyone ever replace an inside door handle on an 07? "Chrome" is peeling on mine.

1BadCadSTS
07-18-13, 02:27 PM
Yes. Common. Not cheap. Replacement includes fasteners to mount it.

dannyquest
07-18-13, 02:55 PM
Alden's Daddy, I have replaced the driver door mirco switch and when the inside door panel was off it looked easy to replace the handle. There info on this form on how to remove the door panel. Danny

Ludacrisvp
07-18-13, 03:12 PM
I made the selling dealer replace mine as part of purchase (it was sharp edged) ... I thought there was a recall / TSB on it?

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-18-13, 05:02 PM
Anyone ever replace an inside door handle on an 07? "Chrome" is peeling on mine.

Hello Alden's Daddy,

I apologize for any trouble you are experiencing with your inside door handle peeling on your vehicle. If you private message me and include your VIN and current mileage I am more than happy to further assist you throughout this process.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

1BadCadSTS
07-18-13, 05:43 PM
I made the selling dealer replace mine as part of purchase (it was sharp edged) ... I thought there was a recall / TSB on it?

Tsb no recall. Tsb states its in fact replaceable. From the factory they are plastic riveted to the panel. Tsb states do not replace the whole panel drill it out and use supplied metal lock nuts to attach it.

Escalades got a recall for it.

dkozloski
07-18-13, 06:14 PM
After two replacements, I covered the area where the chrome was peeling with a strip of aluminum tape that I cut to fit with rounded corners. I smoothed it all out with a metal ballpoint pen body. It's barely noticable and has lasted over a year now.

curtc
07-18-13, 06:30 PM
Wish I would've noticed my driver door handle peeling before a signed off on the purchase....Would've been nice to have had it fixed...Haven't sliced myself on it yet though. Sounds like a PITA to replace it, think I'll be living with this little annoyance.

dkozloski
07-18-13, 08:56 PM
Wish I would've noticed my driver door handle peeling before a signed off on the purchase....Would've been nice to have had it fixed...Haven't sliced myself on it yet though. Sounds like a PITA to replace it, think I'll be living with this little annoyance.Try the aluminum tape, you'll like it.

curtc
07-19-13, 12:30 PM
Try the aluminum tape, you'll like it.

On the hunt for some aluminum tape after work today! Thanks Dk! It seems to have just split down the seem across the top of the handle, will report back results with before and after pics...

Carvone
07-19-13, 12:42 PM
Sliced my fingers on mine also until I wrapped some tape around it for quick fix and forgot about it. When I went in for warranty work the advisor saw it and just shook her head. It is a shame we have to use tape on the door handle to keep from cutting ourselves, should have been a recall on these.

dkozloski
07-19-13, 12:48 PM
Chrome plate on plastic is decorative but not durable. The metalic aluminum tape I used is intended for sealing A/C ducts and sticks like poop to a blanket. The adhesive is covered with a backing that you peel off after you have it all trimmed to shape. It smooths out so nicely it is barely noticable.

Ludacrisvp
07-19-13, 03:39 PM
Make me miss those real metal handles from the 2000-05 model Deville.

Sent from my One

C&C
07-19-13, 03:47 PM
Maybe a supplier problem: my '11 (passenger side) did the same; was covered under CPO warranty.

curtc
07-19-13, 04:46 PM
Make me miss those real metal handles from the 2000-05 model Deville.

Sent from my One

Same, the handles in my Seville's were real metal...At least it's just the driver door so I don't have to be concerned about a passenger getting cut, I am aware it is there and know where to grab when I exit.

curtc
07-19-13, 10:05 PM
All done, took all of 5 minutes...Ace Hardware metal repair tape to the rescue!

Before

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k592/curtc85/IMAG0832_zps7603da05.jpg

After

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k592/curtc85/IMAG0834_zps90e403a7.jpg

Not an exact match but it's a hell of a lot better than razor sharp edges waiting to slice you every time you get out...

And to me, this method made way more sense than removing the door panel and drilling out a plastic rivet to replace the handle...No thank you!

Thanks for the idea Dk! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

stevenriz
12-02-14, 01:47 PM
I may do the same if the after market warranty doesn't cover this!! Looks great!

Carvone
12-03-14, 12:42 PM
Funny this thread came back up, I just replaced the handles on both cars last week while I was off work. My wife cut her hand the other week on hers and when I was getting tires at the Cadillac dealer recently the SA saw the tape on mine and just shook his head, so I went ahead and ordered 2 from RockAuto. They were only $34 a piece and were very easy to install.

stevenriz
12-03-14, 12:46 PM
I've R&R'd door panels here and there for years and am always nervous there will be a rattle when I reinstall. Does anyone do anything special while reinstalling to eliminate that chance or road noise coming from the door panels??