: How do you remove the steering wheel?

Moparman4444
07-18-13, 01:34 PM
Hi guys,

I have the optional $300 suede feel steering wheel and decided to go back to the original smooth leather wheel instead. I liked the optional suede-micro fiber type feel but prefer the smooth leather. I am looking for instructions for removal of the steering wheel and hope the air bag does not go off in the process. if it's not that hard, then I will try to find a good leather wheel to replace it.

Service manual diagrams would be helpful. Thanks for looking.

flatrockguy
07-18-13, 02:35 PM
Here you go. Instructions to disable airbag, remove airbag and remove steering wheel. If you replace the steering wheel with an aftermarket how do you plan to control your cruise control?

spearfish25
07-18-13, 02:37 PM
First, disconnect the neg battery cable so the airbag doesn't fire. Your other option is to pull the airbag fuses.

The service manual is sparse without helpful pics.

It then says to remove the airbag. There is a hole on either side of the steering wheel. Turn the wheel so one is 'up' and use a blunt tool to press in on the spring release. Repeat for the other hole. Then pull the airbag away. The wheel comes off with removing a single bolt in the center. When replacing it's torqued to 22 ft lbs. the manual just says 'disconnect wiring harnesses and transfer parts as needed' for the rest of the swap.

Trapspeed
07-18-13, 03:48 PM
Personally, I'd give that airbag module thirty minutes to fully power down after disconnecting the juice. But that's just me.

ptrd
07-18-13, 05:03 PM
I had to do this recently when I went from leather to suede.

I took apart the thing 3 times due to various things needed. I could guide you from memory pretty easily.

1. disconnect neg. terminal (I didn't wait but if you are the careful type, you should disconnect both terminals)
2. use a punch to push into the holes on either side of the airbag, then pull out carefully
3. this next part got me until i re-read someone's instructions. pull away from the airbag the two clips (they don't fully come out) with a flathead. then you can pull off the pink and white plugs
4. now get a torx equipped ratchet and take off the main bolt in the middle
5. once that is done just pull straight off
6. go back in that order

Of note there was loctite on the bolt, I used some when I put it back in. Have any questions just post here.

Moparman4444
07-18-13, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys for the help. This sounds trickier than I thought it would be. Sure isn't like the old school muscle cars is it?

Anyone want to do a partial trade for a suede wheel in really nice condition?

ptrd
07-19-13, 11:35 AM
^haha we could have switched wheels awhile ago.

jwcalde13
02-06-14, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys for the help. This sounds trickier than I thought it would be. Sure isn't like the old school muscle cars is it?

Anyone want to do a partial trade for a suede wheel in really nice condition?

Moparman, do you still have the suede steering wheel?

jwcalde13
02-06-14, 05:24 PM
Moparman4444, do you still have the suede steering wheel? I have a 2013 with 1,400 miles on it and would like to trade.

seeet vv
02-06-14, 07:54 PM
I removed my wheel within 900 miles of buying it new. I have the leather wheel I will trade for another micro material if anyone is interested. Located in NY and my wheel is an extra so I can send mine first.

jwcalde13
02-06-14, 08:09 PM
I have a smooth leather wheel (manual trans) with only 1600 miles on it, perfect condition, and would like to trade for a suede wheel. I'm in So Ca, PM me if anyone is interested.

----------

I removed my wheel within 900 miles of buying it new. I have the leather wheel I will trade for another micro material if anyone is interested. Located in NY and my wheel is an extra so I can send mine first.

Moparman4444 would probably be interesed if you have an automatic. I just got off the phone with him and we would have traded but he's got an auto and I have a manual trans. PM him, take care.