: Nearly Twins!

Corey468
07-18-13, 01:27 AM
The other day I went with a few friends down to the Petersen Automotive Museum in LA. There's a ton of classics, and they had a good display on the rise of Tailfins. Of course, they had a '48 and '59 Cadillac in there. However I saw the most impressive vehicle as I was pulling out of the parking structure. I was in my '76 Fleetwood so this was a lucky coincidence.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5519/9310179445_2a51b3ca82.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48798565@N05/9310179445/)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7399/9312997654_fe26d3dc8f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48798565@N05/9312997654/)

It was parked off in the far, back corner of the parking structure. It's a '74 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, Tennessee plates, and black cloth inside and outside. I swear, it's pretty darn close to my car. It's a pity that it's stuck back there. The tires are cracked. The entire car is covered in a layer of dust and birdpoop. I tried my best to pull my car right next to it for a photo.

After looking inside, I realized that all the doors were unlocked and the keys were in the ignition. However none of the lights came on when I opened the door, so I'm assuming that the battery is dead. It obviously hasn't been moved in a while. The interior is a lot better than the exterior. The vinyl door armrests aren't cracked. The dash is good. It had the 8 track, rear defroster, and cruise control. However it didn't have the Twilight Sentinel.

There was a paper in the dash saying that it's property of the museum, so I wonder what they're going to do with it...?

Heh, I noticed that a security guard was watching us, but he didn't say anything. As we were leaving, I noticed that he seemed kind of surprised that the doors were unlocked.

Jesda
07-18-13, 01:52 AM
Nice encounter! Not everyday that a classic comes in contact with another classic.

Faith76
07-18-13, 09:28 AM
I went to a cadillac show Sunday. You could have been an octuplet!

77CDV
07-18-13, 07:48 PM
That Brougham is probably one of the cars the museum is selling as part of it's current car purge. Look for it at the auction in Burbank the first weekend in August. The new emphasis at the Peterson is on motorcycles and pre-WWII French classics. There was an article about it in the LA Times the other day.

orconn
07-18-13, 08:05 PM
^^^ Well, there went the Petersen!

The-Dullahan
07-19-13, 12:55 AM
It is always super cool to see a car like yours (especially if it is an older car) but I have never quite had that happen.

I once saw [a series of photos of] my Cadillac's twin (There ARE two of it) but seeing as it's white with a blue interior, it would be difficult to confuse them. It is presently sitting in a Museum in Ohio (Where the company head is)

At the local antique show, there is a fellow with a similar Pontiac to mine.

Likewise, my sister (before moving to phoenix) while running an errand for me in my truck, spotted this car only a mile from my house:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/GhostLincoln_zpsf1ebe200.jpg

It is very similar to my Lincoln...except it hasn't been blown up. I also saw a green '72 Mark IV the other day (same year as mine) and when the owner saw a photo of mine, he immediately made an offer (As his was rusting away). Sadly, I had to tell him that he could not purchase it...

Corey468
07-19-13, 02:11 AM
Hmm, it looks like you're right about it being auctioned off. http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=BB13&ID=r311&Order=runorder&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category= Even though it's just a Brougham and not a Fleetwood 75.

77CDV
07-19-13, 02:40 PM
So, Corey, gonna expand the fleet? :D

Corey468
07-20-13, 01:01 AM
Oh if only I had the time and the money... Nonetheless I do hope that someone purchases that '74 Fleetwood Brougham and brings it back to glory. It's sad that it can be so neglected for so many years.

77CDV
07-21-13, 03:05 AM
It's the fate of 70s cars in general. Most folks don't give a hang about them. Only we happy few who know better! :)

vincentm
07-21-13, 10:58 AM
Oh if only I had the time and the money... Nonetheless I do hope that someone purchases that '74 Fleetwood Brougham and brings it back to glory. It's sad that it can be so neglected for so many years.

a 76 Fleetwood at 18yrs of age? I envy you

The-Dullahan
07-21-13, 04:02 PM
There are people who didn't purchase an antique as their first car?

Fascinating.

vincentm
07-21-13, 04:17 PM
There are people who didn't purchase an antique as their first car?

Fascinating.

I wish i couldve lol.

The-Dullahan
07-22-13, 12:40 PM
They're usually the cheapest.

Just...you know...so long as you're not expecting to get a pristine example from someone living in a city or heavily-populated area via classified ad.

Those are expensive.

CadillacLuke24
07-22-13, 01:32 PM
They're usually the cheapest.

Just...you know...so long as you're not expecting to get a pristine example from someone living in a city or heavily-populated area via classified ad.

Those are expensive.

Yeah, the initial purchase of the car is. The expenses afterwards can get ya though.

The-Dullahan
07-22-13, 07:02 PM
Still adds up to less than buying the "usual" first cars I see people purchase down here in Florida (Usually around $5k at a maximum)

Less than a car payment would be too.

Now my Half-Brother, having not been born to receive or adapt the fine Pennsylvanian reasoning I am blessed with purchased a $13,000 2003 Ford Focus as his first car a year ago.

$13,000 would buy a small fleet of excellent Cadillacs.

77CDV
07-23-13, 01:38 AM
Yeah, the initial purchase of the car is. The expenses afterwards can get ya though.

I wish I could like this more than once.

orconn
07-23-13, 02:23 AM
Well, the cost is all about what we love! Whether it is a car, or a dog, or most importantly those close to us!

The-Dullahan
07-23-13, 03:15 AM

My 500 project has had far more invested into it than the car cost me new. Some of that is perfectionism though, since for both my engine and rear end, I have been replacing everything, even when the parts I initially received were new. "Cheap Insurance" adds up and becomes expensive. I've only just got the rear end and have already bought over $300 more parts for it.

CadillacLuke24
07-23-13, 02:08 PM

Believe me, my Dad has reminded me countless times.