: 05 STS V8 4 transmission fluid

STSJr
07-18-13, 12:52 AM
I was looking for my transmission stick and couldn't find it. I checked the manual and it said to have the dealer check it. I like to check my own fluids. Can someone tell me how to check my transmission fluid. Thank you!

1BadCadSTS
07-18-13, 03:30 AM
Take to dealer.

Sealed non serviceable unit.

curtc
07-18-13, 01:34 PM
:yeah: Sucks but it is what it is....

STSJr
07-18-13, 02:57 PM
Wow! Interesting. Thank you again!

dkozloski
07-18-13, 04:02 PM
The fluid level of the transmission can be checked by having the car up on jack stands, level, and engine running by removing the fill plug. Don't turn off the engine with the plug out or it's oil everywhere. A GM study convinced them that a major cause of transmission trouble is dirt and other inappropriate material introduced by DIY maintenance efforts. The transmission is assembled in a clean room and sealed at the factory.

EChas3
07-18-13, 10:55 PM
Unfortunately, Koz forgot to mention the word 'hot' and that the filler plug isn't an easy task. IMHO, leave it be unless there's a concern or you want to change fluid. If that's the case, it's time to decide whether to go with the traditional pan-drop/gasket/cleaner change or a flush. Both have their adherents.

I'm now in the former camp.

mckellyb
07-19-13, 11:33 AM
I've changed mine, recently, and it was not the slightest bit pleasant. Still have a burn on my left forearm from it, in fact.

I need to change it one more time, but I have a Futomo valve I'm going to put in the pan, so I can drain it, measure, then put back what I took out. That's easy enough.

The placement of the fill port is situated such that it must have been made intentionally difficult to access.

dkozloski
07-19-13, 01:01 PM
I've resisted all temptation to fool with mine and so far it's working great. I'll give you another report in about five more years. When I was much younger I disassembled just about every mechanical thing I had just as soon as I purchased it to see what was inside. Now that I'm much older and wiser I can see that it was not always the smart thing to do.

STSJr
07-19-13, 05:54 PM
Wow! Thank you again.

KRSTS
07-21-13, 06:55 PM
I've resisted all temptation to fool with mine and so far it's working great. I'll give you another report in about five more years. When I was much younger I disassembled just about every mechanical thing I had just as soon as I purchased it to see what was inside. Now that I'm much older and wiser I can see that it was not always the smart thing to do.

I'm with you KOZ and almost as old. I now am now a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."