: using non-GM spark plug wires?

weister42
02-28-05, 06:42 PM
I was looking for a set of AC Delco spark plug wire set but for some reason non of the shops I visited had them in stock, so I went to Autozone and picked up some "double silicone" wire set but I ended up returning it cause the guy gave me the wrong K&N air filter:hmm: . Just today I went to NAPA and picked up their "Belden Max" wires and the lady said they're about the same if not better, and it did cost me about 100 dollars. My car is misfiring right now and I want them changed asap, so should I be concerned about using NAPA parts instead of AC Delco like everyone else here say?

Ranger
02-28-05, 10:56 PM
General concensus is that OEM wires work the best. Best price I found was $122 (shipped) from http://www.rockauto.com. Had them in two days.

freefaller07
02-28-05, 11:04 PM
I was going to get new wires for mine this spring because my seville STS is nearing the 200,000 mile mark. It is running a bit rough and im sure by now new wires and plugs would make a huge improvement. Are AC delco plugs the OEM the best to run in the northstar as well? I wanna buy all the supplies soon and be ready to get my tune up done. Thanks Ranger for the advice on the plug wires.

davesdeville
02-28-05, 11:39 PM
How come wires are so damn expensive? That's like $15 per wire! :banghead:

zonie77
02-28-05, 11:40 PM
What has been said about non-OEM wire is they don't last as long as OEM. If you get premium wires they should have a comparable life but cheaper ones may not last long. If you intend to keep the car the OEM's are worth the money.

cadillacmike68
03-01-05, 12:43 PM
And, if you get a "boxed set" of ACDelco wires, they are "lifetime warranty" just keep your box and receipt:D I keep a folder forevery car in the file cabinet just for this sort of thing.

caddydaddy
03-01-05, 12:51 PM
How come wires are so damn expensive? That's like $15 per wire! :banghead:

That's cheap! I was at AutoZone and the guy was showing me this aftermarket OEM style spark plug wires for a VW Jetta. They were $89 for 4!!! The guy said they were pretty cheap looking wires too.

So Northstar wires are cheap! :thumbsup:

weister42
03-01-05, 02:39 PM
General concensus is that OEM wires work the best. Best price I found was $122 (shipped) from http://www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com/). Had them in two days.

Here's a pic of them;) on the box it says it gives better protection than OEM and has a limited lifetime warranty that should it failed before the engine does I can get one free. The jacket is pretty slick like those expensive car/pro audio RCA cables, and the features looks pretty promising...the only difference is these are 7mm cable and the AC Delco is 8mm, not sure what does it mean. it's really cold out today so I'm still trying to decide if I should go with these...

caddydaddy
03-01-05, 02:52 PM
"the only difference is these are 7mm cable and the AC Delco is 8mm, not sure what does it mean."

The thicker wires have less resistance, I'm not sure how much difference 1 mm makes though.

Spyder
03-01-05, 02:59 PM
7 to 8mm will not change resistance...that measurment only tells the thickness of the insulation, not the core. I have those same napa brand wires on my 94 STS and after 10,000 miles, I'm getting a constant miss at cruising speed...not sure if its the wires, but I have a strong suspicion that they are what is causing my annoying problem. Go with the Delcos!!!

weister42
03-01-05, 05:00 PM
7 to 8mm will not change resistance...that measurment only tells the thickness of the insulation, not the core. I have those same napa brand wires on my 94 STS and after 10,000 miles, I'm getting a constant miss at cruising speed...not sure if its the wires, but I have a strong suspicion that they are what is causing my annoying problem. Go with the Delcos!!!

Well did u changed the spark plugs while at it? I changed my spark plugs with AC Delco and guess what, one of them was defective and went out in less than 30 miles:annoyed: Costed me 140 dollars for the mechanic to figure that out...after this my car never idled the same...but I think it's the wires so thus the topic post:p

I guess what I'm trying to say is are these wires going to rob my power or reliability? I mean they do have a lifetime warranty so I don't think they will just say it for the hell of it, and I always thought OEM parts are unheard of in the high-performance racing scheme.

Ranger
03-01-05, 05:33 PM
I was going to get new wires for mine this spring because my seville STS is nearing the 200,000 mile mark. It is running a bit rough and im sure by now new wires and plugs would make a huge improvement. Are AC delco plugs the OEM the best to run in the northstar as well? I wanna buy all the supplies soon and be ready to get my tune up done. Thanks Ranger for the advice on the plug wires.
Yes, stick with A/C Delco 41-950 plugs.

outlaw1369
03-02-05, 11:27 AM
Do the OEM wires for the Northstar have a special resistance to them? Used to be able to put the 8 or 9 mm performance Accel, Moroso, MSD, etc... wires in the old cars as a aftermarket upgrade.

M&N
03-02-05, 09:00 PM
The "double silcone" from auto zone work just fine and there is not a performance issue but I would stick with the 41-950 plugs though.

weister42
03-03-05, 01:18 AM
Well today I decided to put them in...and yes cured my misfiring problem and it seems to work pretty well(did I mention these wires smell good)! I'll keep an update tho if this wire set fails

Spyder
03-03-05, 01:28 AM
(did I mention these wires smell good)!

Hehehe...weirdo

:)

M&N
03-04-05, 10:03 AM
Well today I decided to put them in...and yes cured my misfiring problem and it seems to work pretty well(did I mention these wires smell good)! I'll keep an update tho if this wire set fails

So, how's the performance and missfire? I recently did the same, plugs and wires, for the a slight trip at cruising speed and the improvement was great. Smooth at cruising speed and better accelleration.

weister42
03-04-05, 07:48 PM
So, how's the performance and missfire? I recently did the same, plugs and wires, for the a slight trip at cruising speed and the improvement was great. Smooth at cruising speed and better accelleration.

So far it's great, my car starts a lot better and no more misfiring, the engine runs STRONG and I just took a cruise on the highway and everything feels smooth...let's just see how long this can last;)

M&N
03-12-05, 07:07 PM
I did a plug change a while back...runs great but I have a question as to the plugs: I used the AC 41- 950 @ 0.050 but the book that came with the car and my GM Cadillac service manual for the '98 deville say AC 41-900 @ 0.060.
The Haynes states AC 41-950 @ 0.050 and the only one I can find a 0.060 gap for is the 4.9.
So is the service manual a typo?:hmm:

Ranger
03-12-05, 08:34 PM
41-950 @.050 is correct to the best of my knowledge.

caddydaddy
03-12-05, 08:53 PM
It will say right on the emmisions label what the spark plug gap is. I'm pretty sure all the Northstar engines call for 0.060

mcowden
03-12-05, 09:03 PM
The original spec called for different plugs. In some cases it was 41-929's, others 41-900's. Apparently the previous specs are deprecated and the 41-950's are the current spec. The gap is 0.050. The wires are AC-Delco 748J.

M&N
03-13-05, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the infromation. I had no doubt that I put the right plugs in with correct gap...was just curious as to the difference in the manuals. I bought the caddy used and could not find a emmission lable on it.
Thanks again for the responses.:bouncy:

cadillacgirl
03-15-05, 03:03 PM
hey thanks for the info on the spark plug wires my husband decided to change the plugs and didnt change the wires @ the same time. so now my cars dies each time i set at a red light too long. so yes hopefully you have helped me w/ my problems.

weister42
03-17-05, 02:26 AM
Ya changing the plugs and wires together is a good practice:thumbsup:

My N* is running prefect so far with the belden wires, then again it's only been a month...

BeelzeBob
03-17-05, 11:15 AM
The usual problem with aftermarket wires of any sort is the RFI and EMI....Radio Frequency Interference and ElectroMagnetic Interference...the plug wires carry high voltage and radiate electromagnetic "noise" that can raise havoc with the other electronic systems on the car...including the ignition system itself. The OEM wires are suppressed to avoid any interference with other systems on the car but it is hard to say about aftermarket wires. With all the electronic content on the Cadillacs it is easy to have an EMI problem with the wrong spark plug wires. Common problems are misfiring due to the low voltage crank and cam sensor circuits picking up the radiated noise and causing stray signals to the ignition module and stray MPH readings from the vehicle speed sensor picking up EMI on the low voltage wires. The OEM wires are the only guarantee against problems like this so that is one reason they are recommended. People have often reported problems with different aftermarket wire sets as mentioned above and ended up going back to the OEM wires to fix the disturbance.

bubba67801
03-18-05, 12:32 AM
Just found this site and thought that I would make my first post to help everybody find bargain GM parts. The site that I have been buying my parts from is usually at least half the price that you would pay at your Cadillac dealer for the same part. The name of the site is www.gmpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com) You will need the GM part number for the part you are ordering, the way I usually do it is go to the cadillac dealer and request a price quote for the part that I want, then I ask them to give me the quote and the GM part number. Then go to the gmpartsdirect site and enter the part number and get the part there. So far I have bought plugs, wires, wipermotor and front hub. An example of a price that I remember is for the front hub, at the dealer it was $400 at gmpartsdirect it was around $180.

davesdeville
03-19-05, 02:45 PM
That's cheap! I was at AutoZone and the guy was showing me this aftermarket OEM style spark plug wires for a VW Jetta. They were $89 for 4!!! The guy said they were pretty cheap looking wires too.

So Northstar wires are cheap! :thumbsup:

But seriously I can buy 4 gauge car audio wire for $1.25 a foot or building plenum grade electrical cheap as all hell. They use more copper than automotive wires anyway. Frickin rip off is what it is.

mcowden
03-19-05, 03:18 PM
"Frickin' rip off" is what you use to describe spark plug wires, but you'd pay $1.25 per foot of 4 gauge copper wire? Are you crazy? Look at a cross-section of a spark plug wire:

http://www.msdignition.com/sci_dist_caps/images/super_con_03.gif

And now tell me that your analogy is valid.

MtlSphere
04-09-05, 01:56 AM
...So is the service manual a typo?:hmm:

Service manual typo? Nah...couldn't be...and the "notched water pump tab should be installed in the 7:00 o'clock position" ...sure...if I'm standing on my head! But hey...seven and two look kinda similar... from a distance in a fog with a roaring hangover after a two day bender!:rofl:

davesdeville
04-09-05, 03:27 AM
"Frickin' rip off" is what you use to describe spark plug wires, but you'd pay $1.25 per foot of 4 gauge copper wire? Are you crazy? Look at a cross-section of a spark plug wire:

http://www.msdignition.com/sci_dist_caps/images/super_con_03.gif

And now tell me that your analogy is valid.

I didn't see this back in March but now that it's back, it is a pretty big ripoff to pay $120something for wires. It is indeed valid because a plug wire is a wire with good insulation, the MSD ones you linked to have a core of material that's very cheap and a strong insulator.

BeelzeBob
04-09-05, 12:39 PM
I didn't see this back in March but now that it's back, it is a pretty big ripoff to pay $120something for wires. It is indeed valid because a plug wire is a wire with good insulation, the MSD ones you linked to have a core of material that's very cheap and a strong insulator.

I am not defending the cost of plug wires nor attempting to justify the high price....but....there is a LOT more to plug wires than there is to copper house wiring....LOL LOL

With the OEM wires, for what-ever they cost from where-ever, at least they are tested and developed and guaranteed to work. There is a LOT of EMI and RFI testing that goes into developing and certifying the OEM plug wires. You are paying for that in some respects with the OEM wires. The aftermarket wires....???....that is why they are so cheap. They just look at the OEM wires, reverse engineer them to their best/cheapest ability, and sell them. There is no testing or development work with them on the application. You are lucky if they are the correct lengths. YOU are doing the testing for them. Good thing that they ARE cheap.

Most people report good luck with the OEM wires for 100K or better so they are certainly not THAT bad. For 100K guaranteed they are not that expensive since you know that they will work.

The OEM wires will go much further than 100K actually. Most of the time the problem with OEM wires (or any spark plug wire) is that they are damaged when people pull them off to "check" the plugs or do other work. The terminals are pulled off inside the boot , the insulation is broken from yanking on them, etc... I once saw a box of old spark plugs in a dealer. We were there investigating this one particular dealer that had a high incident of "fouled plugs" under warranty. Seems that a lot of the cars that they received off of the haulaway trucks mysteriously had "fouled plugs". The tech, in an attempt to "prove" to us the problem showed us a box full of the old plugs that he had pulled out of the engines..... 10% of the plugs had the terminal from the plug wire still attached to the tip of the plug where the terminal had been ripped out of the wire by careless removal....!!!! BTW...the plugs weren't fouled, either. If they had just driven the car around the block the carbon they saw on the tip would have been heated up and burned off. There is a coating on the porcelean from the factory (under that carbon) that prevents plug damage due to cold fouling due to the large number of starts the engine sees from the factory to the dealer to prevent this.

davesdeville
04-09-05, 08:13 PM
Sure there's more to plug wires than copper house wiring most of which is single strand like romex or a few strands for bigger wires. I guess I can see paying for the interferance testing and whatever measures they take to prevent said interferance but hell even aftermarket wires are $60+ or so which is still at least $5/foot.

powerglide
04-09-05, 09:36 PM
Set of factory AC Delco wires cost me $75 at gmpartsdirect.com plus shipping.

more info here

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7561