: Monte Carlo Even Trade?

Ralph
02-28-05, 07:26 PM
With my buddy this afternoon hitting a few dealerships. He has a white 2003 Monte Carlo LS with the SS-type spoiler with 28,000 miles and we ran across a traded (at Kia) 2002 white Monte SS with 62,000 miles.

On the spot, my buddy tried to negociate an even trade because he wanted a power sunroof, leather seats and the computer for fuel, temp, etc. They made him fill out a huge form and asked a lot of questions about what type of insurance he has, if it's paid for, etc. After a test drive by the salesman he went to see the Manager to see what would happen. 15 minutes later they came back and told my buddy that they want $4,000 and he would get a "free" stainless steel coffee mug!! This seems like a rip off to me but the salesman said SS's are more rare than the softer-riding LS and that was the reason.

The salesman also said they have traded even in the past on other cars, but I doubt it. Has anyone ever heard of a staright trade?

Kev
02-28-05, 07:30 PM
I know where I'd like to tell them to put that cup! :sneaky:
I'd probably mention that their SS should go there too! :canttalk:
:shhh:

Elvis
02-28-05, 07:31 PM
I've never heard of an even trade like that.

They're going to try to negotiate with you for whatever they can get. If he had offered an '05 Monte Carlo, they would've probably tried to get some cash out of the deal.

I'm not so sure it's a good deal for your buddy even if they had agreed to the even trade. 62,000 miles is a lot on a Chevy car.

Ralph
02-28-05, 07:34 PM
You guys are probably right. The SS had a harsh ride compared to his LS and the extra 20hp from the SS wan't that noticeable. It's nice for the image (SS) and I would like a power sunroof on my next car also.

I told him, "think of it as a $4,000 dollar coffee mug!" (because he would have to explain the car to his wife) :yup:

Kev
02-28-05, 07:37 PM
You guys are probably right. The SS had a harsh ride compared to his LS and the extra 20hp from the SS wan't that noticeable. It's nice for the image (SS) and I would like a power sunroof on my next car also.
I'm pretty sure your friend can have a nice power sunroof installed for less than 4K? With the change he could improve performance on the LS to match or exceed the SS.
I dunno.

Kev

Elvis
02-28-05, 07:41 PM
I'm pretty sure your friend can have a nice power sunroof installed for less than 4K? With the change he could improve performance on the LS to match or exceed the SS.
I dunno.

Kev

Yep, there are plenty of aftermarket parts for bowties. Give me $4k and I'll pimp that ride beyond his wildest dreams! :eek:

Ralph
02-28-05, 07:44 PM
I have a feeling if they only wanted $1,000 extra he might have gone for it. Still, the SS has twice the mileage but it didn't have a single squeek or rattle unlike some newer cars I've read about here! :shhh:

I heard that most after market sunroofs leak, but I've heard of factory ones leaking too.

DopeStar 156
02-28-05, 09:04 PM
I was offered an even trade for my 1989 Lincoln Mark VII 104k for a 1987 Fleetwood Brougham 157k. My dad talked me out of it.

Ralph
02-28-05, 10:58 PM
I was offered an even trade for my 1989 Lincoln Mark VII 104k for a 1987 Fleetwood Brougham 157k. My dad talked me out of it.

Do you regret it now??

Stoneage_Caddy
03-01-05, 12:23 AM
dealers in the business of makeing money ....in this case no , they wont even trade , its easier to move a SS than a LS ....you can always count on some kid buying the SS ...but and LS will take more of a sell esp since it doesnt have moonroof or anything liek that ....not as flashy of a car ...a low milage grandma trim level monte is a hard sell i see cars like that layed up on lots for months before they either auction it or sell it at a loss or close to

Ralph
03-01-05, 12:28 AM
dealers in the business of makeing money ....in this case no , they wont even trade , its easier to move a SS than a LS ....you can always count on some kid buying the SS ...but and LS will take more of a sell esp since it doesnt have moonroof or anything liek that ....not as flashy of a car ...a low milage grandma trim level monte is a hard sell i see cars like that layed up on lots for months before they either auction it or sell it at a loss or close to

You just nailed it!! They said the SS will move and it was on the lot for only a week! they also had a blue LS and it was sitting for 3 months!

DopeStar 156
03-01-05, 12:28 AM
Do you regret it now??
Not in the least, that particular 87 still hasn't sold and wasn't the gem my 89 is. And the lady I sold my Lincoln to is an enthauist and I know she's taking care of it which also makes me happy.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-01-05, 12:42 AM
BTW ralph ..there is such thing as a stirght trade , ask my mother on what you have to go thru to get there ...

even then we are paying the diffrence of around 3k due to options we want on our next MAXX (got dvd and onstar this time)

Ralph
03-01-05, 12:45 AM
BTW ralph ..there is such thing as a stirght trade , ask my mother on what you have to go thru to get there ...

even then we are paying the diffrence of around 3k due to options we want on our next MAXX (got dvd and onstar this time)

Plus it will be worth the 3k just to get the other one out of site and get a reliable one! Hopefully!