: 2010 EXT Tow/Haul Mode questions/concerns.........

Cloud_Master
07-17-13, 05:05 PM
I have a 2010 EXT that is new to me. Lately I have been using it to tow my boat which is about 6000 lbs. It pulls like a dream, plenty of power and good ride. I use the tow/haul mode. I have found that when decelerating, with minor braking, and especially down hill, that the transmission will downshift 1 sometimes 2 gears and run the engine up to approximately 4,500 rpms to engine brake. It is way overkill in my opinion, and I would rather use more brake than have the engine racing like that. I called my local GM dealer and he can't tell me if this is normal or not. So i'm looking for some first hand experience from other owners that may be pulling as well to tell me that theirs does this as well or not. I don't mind the 1 gear down shift, but i find 2 ridiculous.

I guess the alternative is to not use tow/haul, but there are many benefits to this function. The racing engine on deceleration is just a side effect that i'm not fond of.

Thanks for the feedback.

Buff
07-17-13, 07:49 PM
Mine does the same thing. At 4500 It does seem a little bit much but this is what it was programed to do.

MrHolland
07-17-13, 07:54 PM
Mine too.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-18-13, 01:18 PM
I have a 2010 EXT that is new to me. Lately I have been using it to tow my boat which is about 6000 lbs. It pulls like a dream, plenty of power and good ride. I use the tow/haul mode. I have found that when decelerating, with minor braking, and especially down hill, that the transmission will downshift 1 sometimes 2 gears and run the engine up to approximately 4,500 rpms to engine brake. It is way overkill in my opinion, and I would rather use more brake than have the engine racing like that. I called my local GM dealer and he can't tell me if this is normal or not. So i'm looking for some first hand experience from other owners that may be pulling as well to tell me that theirs does this as well or not. I don't mind the 1 gear down shift, but i find 2 ridiculous.

I guess the alternative is to not use tow/haul, but there are many benefits to this function. The racing engine on deceleration is just a side effect that i'm not fond of.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hello Cloud_Master,

I see you wanted advice from the community and that you have gotten a couple answers back. It does seem to be something that others are experiencing as well. I apologize for any inconvenience with your gear shifting when towing that you have. If you ever want to further discuss a concern or issue, or have general questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

ELUSIVE
07-18-13, 04:10 PM
Mine does the same thing. It is a bit unsettling at time for sure.
Very similar setup as you, 2010 with about a 6000 pound boat

hcvone
07-18-13, 05:45 PM
I have done a good deal of towing with these trucks and what you are seeing is "normal", of course not normal on this planet, I use the tow mode but I switch out of it a lot too, we made a trailer brake button that I can move around and place anywhere, and that is how I keep the trailer in check in the mountains, when not using it lives in the center console