: JE-5 Rear Brakes renewal

Subsailor613
07-17-13, 05:51 PM
Wanting GREAT brake performance,
saw this in a HOT Rod magazine, a LONG time ago.
"Match your Go Power, with Stopping Power"
Don't care about brake dust.Nor Ceramics.
Using EBC Yellow Stuff, front and rear,and
The RED stuff is: CRC Brake Quiet.
Slotted rotors, front and rear. :cool2::thumbsup::cool2:

curtc
07-17-13, 10:25 PM
I've heard good things about EBC brakes, how are they?

EChas3
07-18-13, 01:30 AM
If the ABS activates with your current setup and you don't have brake fade, why bother?

Guy.Seminerio
07-18-13, 03:25 AM
Are you saying his stopping distance won't improve??

EChas3
07-18-13, 11:09 PM
If your ABS activates under heavy braking now, you need better tires to stop faster. Stronger brakes will still activate it at the same point. If you run on the track, it's a different story. Heat build-up leads to brake fade and tires likely aren't the weak link in performance.

Higher performance is acheived by improving the weakest factor. Smokey Yunick was right, 'Money buys speed.' But money spent intellegently does more for less.

Guy.Seminerio
07-19-13, 10:12 PM
Gotcha

Subsailor613
07-20-13, 12:46 PM
It's in my first sentence:
Wanting GREAT Brake Performance.
EBC touts 20% greater, at first, until they broke in.
I didn't notice a difference, but now I do.
Brake fade is a definite requirement for me,
on a trip to Florida, on I-95, with my 2005 with JL-9's
they DID fade, so I replaced the rotors with drilled and slotted.
ABS does NOT prevent Brake fade.
Now that I have JE-5's, I just went with slotted rotors.
From the moment you tap your brakes, you can feel them grabbing.
But NOT over sentitive ? Don't know of any that are oversensitive,
maybe air-brakes ?
The answer is: EBS ? Would Buy again.

EChas3
07-20-13, 03:02 PM
JL9's aren't hard to over-drive. It's no small project to upgrade to the V brakes. Members have reported good results optimizing the JE5's.

Submariner409
07-20-13, 04:06 PM
Get into the EBC Brakes, U.S., Automotive site. They're pretty straightforward on brake applications without unduly hyping their own products. LOTS of reading and links. http://ebcbrakes.com/automotive-products/

I use them and have done 5 other installs now - all excellent. The Ultimax Black Dash rotors and Redstuff pads.

In any car with ABS the stopping distance is a function of weight, speed, brake application, tire traction and road surface condition. In a panic situation you stick the pedal through the firewall and steer. With upgraded brakes you can fool around (as in - autocross) longer before brake fade sets in.

In my STS (OEM brakes, 45,000 miles) I could lose braking at the end of ONE rapid slowdown from 120 to about 0. With the EBC install it's 3 or 4 such aggressive stops before fade sets in.

Surf through www.placeforbrakes.com (http://www.placeforbrakes.com) - use the discount banner - free shipping, and that's significant when you're buying 60 pounds of cast iron............ let the discount banner scroll and pick the best discount for the day. -18% today is right decent.

dkozloski
07-21-13, 01:45 AM
Sprint cup racers, particularly on short track cars, spend upwards of $10-40,000 per wheel on brakes so I wouldn't figure that $4-500 would buy you much.

EChas3
07-21-13, 01:41 PM
They also are tightly constrained by rules that limit the specific technology they can use.

What's more, they are working at the top limits of performance given that technology. Very small improvements can be extremely expensive; but still insignificant compared to their $20M annual team budgets or the value of consistently finishing one position higher in every race.

dkozloski
07-21-13, 05:30 PM
They also are tightly constrained by rules that limit the specific technology they can use.

What's more, they are working at the top limits of performance given that technology. Very small improvements can be extremely expensive; but still insignificant compared to their $20M annual team budgets or the value of consistently finishing one position higher in every race.I agree completely. It also shows what can be done with cast iron discs. FWIW, it looked to me like the short track packages said Brembo on them.