: If Cadillacs were wiped from the face of the Earth

orconn
07-17-13, 01:07 PM
If Cadillacs were eliminated from our choices of cars to buy, what kind of car would you buy?

Hoosier Daddy
07-17-13, 01:27 PM
Subaru Forester.

We have a new/first grandchild. We have 7 vehicles. Some have no rear seat and none have rear doors. So rear doors and easy access for an infant car seat were our BS excuse for buying aother car.

It would either replace our Jeep Wrangler or be an exceptionally well handling, manual trans RWD daily driver. Ergo, the ATS and Outback being the finalists. It was apparently too confusing for some salespeople who asked what we were cross shopping. The closest Cadillac dealer to me lost the sale totally because they decided I could not be serious about a Cadillac if I was looking at Subarus despite careful explanations for why.

I had similar salespeople confusion when cross shopping a CRX Si and a Corvette. In the end I could not resist finding out first hand if a really good handling FWD car could convert a die hard RWD fan. It didn't, although it was still more fun than many RWD cars.

So being a Cadillac per se was never a factor. I'm pretty brand promiscuous and find things to love about most of them.

CTSCHICK
07-17-13, 01:42 PM
I havent been impressed with Cadillac If I decide to stay with another GM product I would dump my CTS instantly for one of these if Chevy would allow the color option in the U.S. :D

http://i42.tinypic.com/j8o8pf.jpg

CadillacLuke24
07-17-13, 01:51 PM
I'd have a Suburban or a Silverado. If I had the dough maybe even a new 5.0 Stang. I'd have to have a V8. I'm forever spoiled :D

Now that I think of it, I might have an old Impala SS :sneaky:

Fear not CTSCHICK, burnt orange metallic is often a color option on GM (esp. Chevy products) cars, and performance vehicles often appear to be recipients.

Aztec ETC ECS
07-17-13, 01:56 PM
Something with a HEMI in it. (Of course)

vincentm
07-17-13, 01:56 PM
If Cadillacs were eliminated from our choices of cars to buy, what kind of car would you buy?

I'll roam the earth with a long beard and a walking stick in raggity clothing, speaking in riddles teaching the days of yore..

CTSCHICK
07-17-13, 01:58 PM
Fear not CTSCHICK, burnt orange metallic is often a color option on GM (esp. Chevy products) cars, and performance vehicles often appear to be recipients.

Not for the Chevy SS the fantale orange is available for the Commodore in Australia but not in the U.S.

The SS will be available in five exterior colors – Mystic Green, Silver Ice Metallic, Red Hot 2, Phantom Black Metallic and Heron White. All interiors will be Jet Black and feature sport front bucket seats

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/Jun/0604-ss-pricing1.html

EcSTSatic
07-17-13, 02:05 PM
I'll roam the earth with a long beard and a walking stick in raggity clothing, speaking in riddles teaching the days or yore..

And go by the name of Nostradillac :)

cadillac kevin
07-17-13, 02:06 PM

I'd probably be driving a 77-85 RWD 98 coupe or a first gen or 78-92 toronado or riviera.

The-Dullahan
07-17-13, 02:13 PM
An 80's Town Car Hearse, so long as it was built by Superior. Duh. Pretty much the closest thing I could get to replace my Cadillac.

Though this one is not a Superior and it is not full length (rather it is the standard Sedan Length) it is ultimately VERY gorgeous. I would prefer of course, a full length Lincoln by Superior.

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/111002/574r1/4683ila_20.jpeg

Last year, there was such a car for sale in Daytona. It was the full-length commercial body and it was a Superior. It was dark forest green with a black top, immaculate in every regard and selling for under $2,000.

I had the chance to go and see it, but spent that time instead at the CLC Grand National meet in Saint Augustine. Looking back, I do not regret my decision. Still though...if it should ever pop up again...

drewsdeville
07-17-13, 02:19 PM
Probably another brand that doesn't hold it's value, just like Cadillac. Always looking for that good value. That said, as my needs are changing, this will be my last car-type vehicle, and therefore most likely my last Cadillac ownership. I've been saying for two years that I'll replace this car the next time it needs a significant repair...but it just won't break!

RippyPartsDept
07-17-13, 02:31 PM
Chevy SS

orconn
07-17-13, 02:35 PM
And go by the name of Nostradillac :)

Not to be nitpicky, but Nostradamus was a seer of the future not a teller of the past. Perhaps a better name would be Methusillac.

AElayyat
07-17-13, 02:43 PM
A Lincoln would be my first choice to replace my Caddys with.

If we are talking new luxury cars I would go with an Infiniti or Lexus.

EcSTSatic
07-17-13, 02:49 PM
Not to be nitpicky, but Nostradamus was a seer of the future not a teller of the past. Perhaps a better name would be Methusillac.

That's true. I couldn't come up with an appropriate name. Yours is better.

amunderdog
07-17-13, 02:55 PM
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4689306514817493&pid=1.7

orconn
07-17-13, 03:43 PM
Like Hoosier I've never been a captive of a brand name. Truth be told the only Cadillacs that I have owned since the 1970's have been Sevilles. I have had several Jaguars but there offering today are really just warmed over copies of what everyone else is offer (and besides the interiors have gone from tasteful with wood and leather to space cadet with termite food). So Jaguars no longer warrant the premium price they once did. I am also a conscientious objector to the ludicrous prices demanded by so called "Luxury" marques for mundane service (I don't work on my own cars anymore, and never did for my DD's) so I am at the mercy of the independent and dealership service.

As I see it the "luxury" term has more to do with salving or inflating one's own ego than with the meaningful differences in quality and available accessories. And since I have "made do" with far less in the way of convenience and safety gadgets than are demanded by today's techno-needy younger "car guys" I am more than happy with amount of gadgetry that was offered in the early nineties (if not earlier). So much of what is touted as "advances" in automobile technology is really just so much junk to separate the driver from really knowing what to do behind the wheel. Since I have made it from the age of 17 years old to &0 (this month) driving some of the most powerful and demanding cars under almost every condition this world has to offer, I have reached a point where less is more!

I would have to nix the German products; I refuse to pay "ego" (theirs or mine) for products of mediocre reliability and performance capabilities far beyond anything I can legally use in the United States. Japanese luxury (read executive) cars are just dull embellish versions of their cheaper cousins. I do like the appearance of the models coming from Chevrolet and would look at those as well as Hondas, Mazdas and the Korean entries.

I have long since been free of the need for a prestigious nameplate on the cars I drive (I used to think a name plate was useful for business purposes). so I am free to chose a car that meets my needs and those no longer require what is offered solely by the luxury brands.

EcSTSatic
07-17-13, 04:18 PM
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4689306514817493&pid=1.7

What is that, I like it. More and more I'm partial to wagons. They fit my weekend boating lifestyle. Plenty of room for beer!

77CDV
07-17-13, 04:55 PM
A Mustang convertible might be fun.

R/T kota
07-17-13, 05:13 PM
Pontiac G8...oh wait....I guess I'm screwed.

----------

What is that, I like it. More and more I'm partial to wagons. They fit my weekend boating lifestyle. Plenty of room for beer!

Looks like an 80s malibu wagon with either a monte or cho cho customs front clip.

orconn
07-17-13, 06:03 PM
I wish Alfa Romeo would come back the U.S. market. Of all the cars I've owned the Alfa 164S was the best. The most reliable and, after a couple of minor problems quickly solved under warranty, the most trouble free ... and that was during a ten year life of L.A. city driving and occasional long distance interstate trips. The size (the 164 was the size of a contemporary 5 series BMW) and the overall driving dynamics made it the best all rounder.

Of course another, new Alfa might not live up to the successful ownership experience of the 1992 that I owned for ten years, but I'd be willing to give the marque another try. In Europe the Alfas are considered to be really special, even when compared to their contemporary BMWs.

Faith76
07-17-13, 06:15 PM
A Lincoln. Despite the fact that it's a Ford product.

CadillacLuke24
07-17-13, 07:09 PM
Duh. I completely forgot about the SS. I'd totally rock one.

-----

Well crap, I should just go from my list

69-70 Chevelle SS

Gen 1 or Gen 5 Camaro

2005 on Mustang

2006 on Charger

amunderdog
07-17-13, 08:10 PM
Fourth generation Chevelle (1978–1983) Chevrolet malibu wagon

talismandave
07-17-13, 10:57 PM

GM already did this in the 90's? I don't understand the question.....:hmm:

Aztec ETC ECS
07-17-13, 11:06 PM
Or at least with the last FWD.

vincentm
07-17-13, 11:21 PM

>.<! Ouch

orconn
07-17-13, 11:34 PM

I disagree with your statement, Dave. Post war Cadillacs have just been refinements of what was offered the general car buying public in size, quality and there adherence to GM styling trends and cues of the decade in which they were offered. Whether a Cadillac was just a little bigger Chevy made with some higher quality materials, better paint and upholstery, or that a Chevy was really just a slightly smaller Cadillac made from cheaper materials and came down an assembly line at a faster rate so many more people could afford it .... either way there really wasn't a lot of difference. Cadillacs became smaller (and less) powerful not because they ceased being Cadillacs, but because GM's whole line of cars was downsized. FWD or RWD the Cadillac followed the dictates that have always been the mantra of GM .... we have a seat for every ass (ranging from those who were earning a living to those who found cherries in their bowls).

Cadillac Kid03
07-18-13, 12:09 AM
kia optima maybe, for some reason they really look like nice cars.

Faith76
07-18-13, 12:23 AM
Can I change my answer? I saw a 1959 convertible Galaxie 500 with a continental kit at a cruise in today. I would consider living without a Cadillac for that.

----------

kia optima maybe, for some reason they really look like nice cars.
derp

Cadillac Kid03
07-18-13, 12:26 AM
Can I change my answer? I saw a 1959 convertible Galaxie 500 with a continental kit at a cruise in today. I would consider living without a Cadillac for that.

----------

derpDerp? lol...

Faith76
07-18-13, 12:29 AM
I thought you were joking about the Kia... I was serious about the Galaxie though

Cadillac Kid03
07-18-13, 12:34 AM
I thought you were joking about the Kia... I was serious about the Galaxie thoughWell i'm talking about a Daily Driver if we are talking about toys then i must go with a Vista Cruiser with 442 wheels, hood and other 442 parts.

Faith76
07-18-13, 12:39 AM
That's better!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-18-13, 12:48 AM
If I was looking at a new luxury brand, I'd look at Audi or Lexus first. Audi has stellar design and performance and Lexus is getting to be the best of the Asian brands.

If I was looking at a classic luxury car, it'd be Lincoln, no doubt.

CadillacLuke24
07-18-13, 12:54 AM

Very funny Dave! :rollingpin:

Jesda
07-18-13, 02:57 AM
My alternative, surprisingly, is Mazda. I'd rock a Miata, Mazdaspeed 6, Mazdaspeed 3, or damn near anything else they make. BMWs have become soft, MBs and Audis are overly complex, and Lexus, Lincoln, and Acura don't really interest me.

The Kia Optima is a great car too.

ryannel2003
07-18-13, 05:19 AM
I'd probably go back to an E46 3 Series but I'd make sure it was a 330i w/ 5 speed this time. Oh and no black interior ever again either.

C&C
07-18-13, 06:03 AM
A GM fan (since forever), my lateral switch would be to Chevrolet.

Hoosier Daddy
07-18-13, 11:28 AM
I would have "liked" this if Cadillac hadn't made a come back. I almost still did for the ironic humor. So good job on that. You know how some jokes are "too soon"? That one may be "too late".

orconn
07-18-13, 02:18 PM
Sometimes I think we give Cadillac too much credit .... what we Americans call "luxury" is really just "executive" class in the rest of the world. I think this is the real reason that the really rich in other countries (and on either coast of our country) really prefer another brand for the luxury transportation. It could also be because GM in its' ultimate smugness and ethnocentric prejudice has never (since WW II) seen fit to market Cadillacs and service Cadillacs in markets other than the U.S. and Canada. Recent posts from our European and Asian members confirm this is still the case!

The-Dullahan
07-18-13, 02:38 PM

Rasputillac.

orconn
07-18-13, 02:44 PM
^^^ Rasputin was relatively long lived only because of the many attempts to end his life, in actuality he didn't live all that long.

The-Dullahan
07-18-13, 02:46 PM

1992 to be exact. That was the last year GM produced a Cadillac product. Though even by that year. the car was a sad reflection of what it had started out as.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/attachments/vehicle-classifieds/227471d1271465977-1991-cadillac-brougham-img_0245.jpg

orconn
07-18-13, 02:51 PM
My alternative, surprisingly, is Mazda. I'd rock a Miata, Mazdaspeed 6, Mazdaspeed 3, or damn near anything else they make. BMWs have become soft, MBs and Audis are overly complex, and Lexus, Lincoln, and Acura don't really interest me.

The Kia Optima is a great car too.

Of the Japanese cars I have always liked the cars from Mazda the best. The company was and is the most innovative of the Japanese makers. They also have had the good sense to turn to Italian design houses for advice and actual designs for their cars. I remember when I lived in Japan back in the early seventies both the Mazda Luce (Loo-chay to none Italian speakers) and the Mazda Cosmo were really standouts. Nissan had the good sense to get a European to design the body of the first Datsun 280Z (Fairlady) but then reverted to inhouse for their designs. Mazda has always been a standout both in the U.S. market and before they entered the U.S. market.

Submariner409
07-18-13, 02:59 PM
I get well over 40 mpg on 100/120 avgas in my STS, so I suppose that if the government wiped all Cadillacs off the face of the earth I'd have to buy a Prius, a decent Ferrari SuperAmerica or maybe a 1964 Triumph Bonneville. :stirpot:

............. better yet, maybe a used MSP Crown Vic.

Hoosier Daddy
07-18-13, 03:06 PM
1992 to be exact. That was the last year GM produced a Cadillac product.
I disagree.

A Cadillac is a Cadillac by definition. The problem wasn't that Cadillac changed the characteristics of the cars. The tragedy was their new vision in those dark years sucked. The fact that SOME people who love and value the Cadillacs of yore don't care for later generations, is not a problem per se if new Cadillac lovers are as numerous and as passionate as past ones. I love many old Cadillacs and the newest.

The Cadillac ATS is as good of a Cadillac as the big body on frame rear wheel drives were because it also stands head and shoulders above similar purpose GM, Ford and Chrysler competition. The fact that some Europeans give it a run for its money is more of a matter of them raising their games over the years rather than the ATS not being better or equal to past Cadillacs.

Cadillacs like all products with broad appeal ALWAYS evolve. Embrace it or deal with it. And be glad the changes are for the better (albeit different) rather than for the worse as they were for a while.

M5eater
07-18-13, 03:20 PM
Brand name is of little consequence to me, I've had more Cadillac's by fact that they make a good RWD sports sedans of late(and the being american part, that's good too), but my vehicle history has included everything.

What I'd actually buy; Mazda 3/speed 3, VW GTi, maybe Focus ST?

What I'd want; Audi S4, BMW M3,

The-Dullahan
07-18-13, 05:46 PM
Brand name is of little consequence to me as well.

Call me unfaithful, twisted or a heathen, it is all the same to me.

I drive a Pontiac.
And I enjoy it.

Cadillac Kid03
07-18-13, 09:46 PM
Here is the Vista i'm talking about.
http://i40.tinypic.com/2lo3jh2.jpg

CadillacLuke24
07-19-13, 01:15 AM
I disagree.

A Cadillac is a Cadillac by definition. The problem wasn't that Cadillac changed the characteristics of the cars. The tragedy was their new vision in those dark years sucked. The fact that SOME people who love and value the Cadillacs of yore don't care for later generations, is not a problem per se if new Cadillac lovers are as numerous and as passionate as past ones. I love many old Cadillacs and the newest.

The Cadillac ATS is as good of a Cadillac as the big body on frame rear wheel drives were because it also stands head and shoulders above similar purpose GM, Ford and Chrysler competition. The fact that some Europeans give it a run for its money is more of a matter of them raising their games over the years rather than the ATS not being better or equal to past Cadillacs.

Cadillacs like all products with broad appeal ALWAYS evolve. Embrace it or deal with it. And be glad the changes are for the better (albeit different) rather than for the worse as they were for a while.

THANK YOU. :thumbsup:

talismandave
07-19-13, 03:05 AM
I would have "liked" this if Cadillac hadn't made a come back. I almost still did for the ironic humor. So good job on that. You know how some jokes are "too soon"? That one may be "too late".

Unfortunately they "came back" as a mid-sized imitation import . A very nice quality mid-sized imitation import....

Hoosier Daddy
07-19-13, 03:15 AM
Unfortunately they "came back" as a mid-sized imitation import . A very nice quality mid-sized imitation import....
I apologize for thinking your post was mostly a joke just because it would have been a good one. Now I can feel your grief. If it's any consolation, the loss may make the memories (and survivors) all the more sweet.

eldorado_sean
07-20-13, 04:46 PM
An 06 Pontiac gto would be nice

The-Dullahan
07-22-13, 08:11 PM
1964 Triumph Bonneville.

Thread closed. We have a winner.

----------

An 06 Pontiac gto would be nice

Careful mentioning Pontiacs on this board :hide:

greencadillacmatt
07-23-13, 04:35 AM
As a big cruiser? I'd have a '78 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham, in white or black, with the 440. (Then I'd pick up a 6-pack intake... :alchi: :burn: )

I've already got my Dodge Challenger for a daily driver 3 seasons out of the year. I likes me my Mopars. :thumbsup:

Johnny_Buchanan
07-23-13, 11:04 AM
Not sure, really. Only suitable replacements to Allante would either be Jaguar XJS V12 Convertible, R107 or R129 Merc. Around here Mercs are dime a dozen, so I guess I'd go for Jag or 'haps RWD Spider from those wacky people from Milan.

-J

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

AntCadillac
07-28-13, 01:37 PM
New lincoln MKZ or MKS those cars are absolutely beautiful!!

thebigjimsho
07-28-13, 03:08 PM
MKS is awful. Badly packaged, slapped on grille, tall enough to be a body on frame SUV. No.

The MKZ is a head turner, but I'm quickly growing tired of it. And the rear end looks like a plethora of plastic cladding. Plus, there is no rear interior headroom. It's an unfinished product rushed to production...

Jesda
07-28-13, 05:15 PM
MKS is awful. Badly packaged, slapped on grille, tall enough to be a body on frame SUV. No.

The MKZ is a head turner, but I'm quickly growing tired of it. And the rear end looks like a plethora of plastic cladding. Plus, there is no rear interior headroom. It's an unfinished product rushed to production...

And it looks as if two lead designers worked on it, which is exactly what happened. It's a rolling testament to the lack of direction, leadership, and organization at Lincoln.

orconn
07-28-13, 05:34 PM
What Lincoln needs now is Edsel Ford to bring some classic beauty to their cars and put an end to the copying of bad copies that seems to dominate Lincolns designs today!

cadillac kevin
07-28-13, 07:25 PM
And it looks as if two lead designers worked on it, which is exactly what happened. It's a rolling testament to the lack of direction, leadership, and organization at Lincoln.

I was wondering why it looked "off". I like the back end (for a lincoln) but the front of the car is bleh. It's like lincolns version of the 91-96 roadmaster sedan. Put 2 cars together and see what happens.

vincentm
07-29-13, 02:10 AM
What Lincoln needs now is Edsel Ford to bring some classic beauty to their cars and put an end to the copying of bad copies that seems to dominate Lincolns designs today!

58 style beauty

EcSTSatic
07-29-13, 09:06 AM

The old 'horse collar' front end wouldn't be as bad as some of the styling coming out today. Wasn't the Edsel just a Fairlane with different sheetmetal?

93DevilleUSMC
08-03-13, 12:51 AM
Chevy SS, Chevy Camaro, Dodge Challenger R/T, Charger R/T, 300C, 300C AWD, GMC Sierra, Chevy Silverado, Ford Mustang 5.0.

----------

Also, I might consider a G8 GT or GXP if the deal was right.

orconn
08-03-13, 01:40 AM
58 style beauty

Actually, Edsel Ford (Henry's son) designed the classic first generation Continental coupes and convertibles, as well as other stylish "one off" Fords and Lincolns. I do believe Edsel had passed on by the time the car the "Edsel" was designed and brought to market.

Hoosier Daddy
08-03-13, 09:13 AM
I do believe Edsel had passed on by the time the car the "Edsel" was designed and brought to market.
Thanks. I would have assumed it was the cause of his death.

maeng9981
08-03-13, 09:58 AM
It would be a black 2500 Suburban. For pickup trucks, the new Sierra with the new 5.3 or 6.2, crew cab standard bed, white diamond, 4WD.

If I had to choose something other than GM, hard choice.... something that is not japanese.

CadillacLuke24
08-08-13, 03:56 AM
After seeing one around town,

I would (might even get) a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ with the 6.2L V8 and the 5 spoke exposed lug rims, in silver. :drool2:

CaddyGas
08-08-13, 01:18 PM
In reality I drive most classics. Don't like most new cars American or foreign. Take almost anything from the 50s, 60s some 70s and anything older. Shoot if I had a Dusenberg it will be driven almost everyday.

CadillacLuke24
08-08-13, 05:46 PM
I just checked out the new Silverados on Ebay. Make mine red, and.......

SO MUCH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT!!!!

The-Dullahan
08-08-13, 06:42 PM
Ooh. I know. I could drive a Model A. In fact, if I had room to buy another car, I bet I would have one as my daily driver instead of my Cadillac.

Cheap. Efficient. Easy to repair. Low maintenance. Comfortable too, though more so for the rear passengers.