: *Is the K&N Drop in air filter really that bad?

austin
07-16-13, 07:50 PM
I was looking at changing the stock paper air filter over to a K&N drop in to keep things stealth.. I was not expecting miracles, perhaps slightly better flow and a realistic 1hp or 2 from being a tad leaner from flowing more air.. Almost every dyno review I have come across on YouTube and other forums are showing a slight loss in TRQ and HP when changing over from the stock paper filter to the K&N oiled drop in filter.. I was completely shocked.. I would have expected the K&N to be at least slightly better.. These filters use to be the norm back in the day.. One of the first mods folks would do.. Perhaps the V and other cars just don't like an oiled filter? Anyone here have first hand experience with this filter? I rather hear the truth from you guys.. The part number is 33-2411.

MoistCabbage
07-16-13, 09:41 PM
They let more dirt by, and pack up 3 times as fast as a paper element filter. You're not going to gain any measurable power either. Don't bother.

austin
07-16-13, 09:49 PM
They let more dirt by, and pack up 3 times as fast as a paper element filter. You're not going to gain any measurable power either. Don't bother.

What a shame... Too bad, they were big years back, they should update their filtration method.

PNBLWZD
07-16-13, 11:11 PM
This looks like the same filter than Lingenfelter offers in the various upgrade packages, but it is combined with cutting away a lot of the lower airbox IIRC.

austin
07-17-13, 08:30 AM
This looks like the same filter than Lingenfelter offers in the various upgrade packages, but it is combined with cutting away a lot of the lower airbox IIRC.

WoW.... Talk about mis-leading folks... There claiming the K&N filter they sell alone (not their CAI package) is good for 13hp from their own testing.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LPE&Product_Code=33-2411&Category_Code=C67

HUGN*RDS
07-17-13, 09:50 AM
WoW.... Talk about mis-leading folks... There claiming the K&N filter they sell alone (not their CAI package) is good for 13hp from their own testing.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LPE&Product_Code=33-2411&Category_Code=C67
I think everybody in this thread agrees that the filter does indeed have less filtering, which in turn reduced restrictions and can help the engine breathe better. I would guess they are correct with that HP gain but they may be letting in some more dirt.

Chrispy
07-17-13, 09:58 AM
The Drop in will pick up 6-7RWHP by itself, with the airbox cut out it picks up more. (11-12RWHP)

The Airaid with Drop in K&N 1044 filter picks up a ton. I've gone 11.80s 120mph with DR's and Airaid as only mods in my six speed wagon.

Gary Wells
07-17-13, 01:34 PM
Keep in mind that these are claims, other than the actual back to back test by user name 'newcadman."

03-19-2009: 04:19 PM: (JTHennessey) True Cold Air Intakes – Instock!: “True Cold Air intakes – Instock”: Want to add a quick 15 hp? This is the solution. Completely replaces the factory intake system with our true cold air intake. Last week, Nick @ American Racing Headers was able to test this induction system and was able to show a gain of 18 rwhp!!! Awesome setup. Images attached to this post

05-21-2009: 09:06 AM: “New Era CTS-V Cold Air Intake”: Mike @ New Era tuned a 09 CTSV and tested our intake on it. It made 451 rwhp and 437 rwtq in -stock- form and it picked up 34 rwhp and 28 rwtq with the New Era 09 CTSV intake untuned. After Mike tuned it, it made 505 rwhp and 470 rwtq.

05-14-2010: 03:11 PM: KPE Cold Air Intake: Designed to draw cold air and fit with the factory -engine- bay trim. The first CTS-V intake to feature injection molded plastic tube and large filter protected in sealed powdercoated aluminum box. Makes 24 RWHP on a -stock- motor and even more with other modifications.

06-06-2010: 06:32 PM: Airaid 250-253 - Best prices – Free Shipping!: Airaid Cold Air Intake System for the 2009-2010 Cadillac CTS-V 6.2L Supercharged -V8- includes a modular intake tube, air dam and highflow washable air filter. This System will give you 28 HP and 43 FT/LBS of Torque with out a Tune.

07-31-2010: 04:55 PM: KPE: Re: All KPE CAI owners………Instead of using our -car-, we grabbed a used 2010 CTS-V straight off the lot from our local Cadillac Dealer with 7980 miles which was bone stock. We then installed the KPE intake, and they ran the -car- again on the dyno..………….they took the average of the three runs which proved an 11 hp increase. They did have a run that showed +20 but the average at full temperature was +11.

07-31-2010: 06:53 PM: newcadman: Re: All KPE CAI owners: As indicated I took my 2009 V -auto- V (7000 miles) to the same (dynojet) dyno where it was previously tested when it was bone stock…………… Three pulls were made with the now installed KPE cai. End result, the -engine- made 8 MORE rwhp on its best pull than it did on its previous best bone stock pull.

MoistCabbage
07-17-13, 02:04 PM
As far as "breathing better" goes, has anyone ever put a vacuum gauge between the stock filter and TB, and done a WOT run? I'm betting there isn't much restriction to begin with anyway.