: Rear Bumper Plastic Hitch Cover

sadesdad
07-16-13, 06:44 PM
I have a 2007 Black Escalade. There is a plastic part of the rear bumper that covers over the hitch, fastened on the bottom by 2 screws, which I believe comes from the factory.

Mine was loose yesterday and I just noticed that it fell off while I was driving.

Does anyone know the correct name for this piece as I want to order a new one ASAP. Thanks

sdgc
07-16-13, 08:47 PM
hitch cover. bumper hitch cover. the cover that covers the hitch on the bumper. the center peice on the rear bumper that covers the hitch.

soulsea
07-16-13, 09:14 PM
Also hitch closeout and bumper hat.

2kflhr
07-16-13, 09:47 PM
GM calls it "Cover PKG" . Part # 20777999 List price $193.30. The retainers (2) are $5.33 each and you will have to have it painted. I suggest you check e-bay

tgeorge34
07-17-13, 02:34 PM
I just purchased a new one from e-bay for about $120 painted, as I also had this problem. There is also a guy on ebay that sells homemade metal "retainers" that replace the plastic ones from the factory. These bolt on so there is no chance that your new cover will fall off. Highly recommend...for only about $20!

Whiterob
07-17-13, 02:43 PM
Mine almost fell off, luckily a neighbor stopped me before I backed out of my driveway. Mine one of the tabs seem to be broken off on the top, so in the process of crafting up a new idea to hold it in.

sadesdad
07-17-13, 08:46 PM
I just purchased a new one from e-bay for about $120 painted, as I also had this problem. There is also a guy on ebay that sells homemade metal "retainers" that replace the plastic ones from the factory. These bolt on so there is no chance that your new cover will fall off. Highly recommend...for only about $20!

Hi. Thank you for the information. Was the seller a private person or a dealer? If it was a dealer, do you happen to have their user id so I can see if they have more. Thanks.

tgeorge34
07-18-13, 02:11 AM
The seller is a private person...his user ID is ocfirecapt...i just checked ebay out and he has some listed...just type in "escalade hitch cover" and his listing for the re-designed clips is there. Great seller! Kinda funny after you see the design..makes you wonder why Cadillac didn't make this after they realized that the cover falling off was an issue.

soulsea
07-18-13, 02:27 AM
Actually GM did change the design, either in 09 or 10 I can't remember. The newer version of the bumper and hitch cover have two extra tabs that insert on the side, and since they did this it's not an issue any more.

----------

Btw, this is important because you if you have the earlier bumper, the newer cover won't fit right, unless you either cut off those additional two tabs or you cut two little holes in the bumper to slide them into.

sadesdad
07-18-13, 04:32 PM
The seller is a private person...his user ID is ocfirecapt...i just checked ebay out and he has some listed...just type in "escalade hitch cover" and his listing for the re-designed clips is there. Great seller! Kinda funny after you see the design..makes you wonder why Cadillac didn't make this after they realized that the cover falling off was an issue.

Thank you "tgeorge34" and to everyone. Very helpful!

SpyShops NY
07-18-13, 08:09 PM
I have a 2008 Escalade can I buy one from a 2010-2012 and install it and modify it. I live in NYC and its always a problem because people always hit my bumpers.

soulsea
07-18-13, 08:18 PM
Yes you can, but you'll have to cut two little openings on your bumper to slide the extra tabs in ... they won't be visible when the cover is on.

SpyShops NY
07-18-13, 11:24 PM
Thanks Soulsea, I will give it a try. I have put 4 on already and I am getting tired. I think GM did this on purpose because its a rip off for 180$

pmexpert
07-20-13, 05:34 PM
I had to replace the bumper to a new OEM with dual exhaust to solve hitch cover issue. Previouly I bought the new ones 3 or even 4 times...

andre_outlaw
07-28-13, 01:04 AM
I put the new style on and it took me 5 minutes to gather my drill and put the 2 slots for the tabs to fit...