: Muffler Delete not passing PA safety inspection?

K-manV2-6MT
07-16-13, 02:48 PM
New Here, Purchased my 09' MT V about a 6 weeks ago and the car is a blast. The previous owner had removed the mufflers from the factory exhaust; car sounds great. I took it to my local dealer for oil change and went ahead and did a state inspection. The car passed emissions but the dealer told me that it did not pass the Pennsylvania Safety inspection. I thought at first they just wanted me to pay to get new mufflers but the guy actually suggested I get an aftermarket cat-back. Has anyone had issues with this and not passed inspection because of a lack of mufflers? I am considering taking it to my local mechanic and see if the dealer was simply unaccommodating.

Thanks

-Kurtis

DCV
07-16-13, 05:19 PM
Do you really think that any state will pass a car without mufflers? The mufflers control noise levels, the cats control the emissions. I'm sure you can Google PA inspections requirements and find out all about it. I would guess all states require mufflers in good working order. Go get some glass pack cherry bombs.

Trapspeed
07-16-13, 05:42 PM
$20.00 in the tech's hand..."Yep. Mufflers look good"!

baabootoo
07-17-13, 12:12 PM
So it has all 4 catalytic converters, but no mufflers? Our state doesn't do a noise test, only emissions, so it would be ok.

K-manV2-6MT
07-17-13, 01:58 PM
Yes correct it has all 4 cats and passed emissions. The tech told me it was "unsafe" without the mufflers, though I know they didn't do a noise test. I am assuming there are ways around it or others willing to pass it. Thanks for the replies

DiamondWhtV
07-17-13, 04:03 PM
Just weld a faux shell around the tail pipe in the same location of the original mufflers. They won't know the difference. Problem solved.

spearfish25
07-18-13, 08:26 AM
I'd just go to another place with a different tech.

1BadCadSTS
07-18-13, 09:21 AM
It fails safety. Just like if you have the cats removed and tuned out. Will pass emissions but the minute I put it in the air and check it ill fail it. 20 bucks isn't worth my license and fines to the shop if the guys an undercover or tells the state.

RapidRob
07-18-13, 06:48 PM
^^^ - What's their logic? Damaged hearing if the mufflers are gone? Jeez! :cookoo:

Rob

DCV
07-19-13, 09:19 AM
20 bucks isn't worth my license and fines to the shop if the guys an undercover or tells the state.

Or blabs about it on internet Boards.......

M5eater
07-19-13, 09:42 AM
Or blabs about it on internet Boards.......

Contrary to popular belief, State police do not have the resources to monitor tens of thousands of automotive internet forums scanning for potential techs blabbing about passing failed cars so they can fine them out of their license.

1BadCadSTS
07-19-13, 10:00 AM
^^^ - What's their logic? Damaged hearing if the mufflers are gone? Jeez! :cookoo:

Rob

Not entirely sure of the reasoning behind it but its considered a piece of emissions control equipment. If its missing you fail. I did the egr delete my 98 ls1 camaro and it would of failed even though later models didn't have it. Now it has long tubes air rear o2 and egr delete high flow cats and a cam. Passes "emissions" everytime as well as safety. Keep it under 5000 miles.

M5eater
07-19-13, 10:21 AM
Not entirely sure of the reasoning behind it but its considered a piece of emissions control equipment. If its missing you fail. I did the egr delete my 98 ls1 camaro and it would of failed even though later models didn't have it. Now it has long tubes air rear o2 and egr delete high flow cats and a cam. Passes "emissions" everytime as well as safety. Keep it under 5000 miles.

Mufflers are not emissions related. At all. The only possible reasoning is noise levels.

1BadCadSTS
07-19-13, 10:27 AM
Mufflers are not emissions related. At all. The only possible reasoning is noise levels.

Never said they were emissions related. I said they are considered part of the emissions system. Any simpleton knows all a muffler does is reduce noise and its illegal to not run them. Noise polution I guess. A cop can pull you over and cite you for running without a muffler just as they would for tinting. Doesn't matter. Laws the law.

DCV
07-19-13, 12:39 PM
Contrary to popular belief, State police do not have the resources to monitor tens of thousands of automotive internet forums scanning for potential techs blabbing about passing failed cars so they can fine them out of their license.

Sure, but there have been shops in the DC area that have got called out for it.....all it takes is getting pulled over for other infractions and IF they see a pattern of modded cars with violations from the same place (with passed inspections) you bet they will then monitor some shops a wee bit closer.

DiamondWhtV
07-19-13, 02:37 PM
Of course, one could always look on-line to find out what is required for state inspection.

For Pennsylvania Section 175.75 (b)(1) A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise-suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation. A muffler or exhaust system may not be equipped with a cut-out, bypass or similar device and a muffler may not show evidence of external repair.

I think that pretty much sums up the reason for the muffler requirement in PA.

the blur
07-23-13, 02:01 AM
I was a drag racer in my younger days. But I do not like being woken up every morning at 6am, by my neighbors car with out a muffler.

CavemanB52
07-23-13, 08:57 PM
Id rather have a fast car that is quiet. I reluctantly put headers on my V due to melting my stock cats. BTW wtf are cats for? And don't some tree hugger tell me they are good for the environment.