: Paint codes

bryan1970
02-27-05, 06:47 PM
anyone know where i can get some paint to match ym car now? i have a 78 coupe deville with i belive paint code no. 54. the actual color is like a light color yellow almost like a pastel. i don't need much just enough to paint my rear fender extensions. whalt about spray paint. does any company make the right color paint in a spray can?

brougham
02-27-05, 08:02 PM
Goto a paint shop. They can figure out the paint code and make the right colour of paint for you.

bryan1970
02-27-05, 11:23 PM
yeah that was one of my options. i just wanted to possibly get a can of spray paint, as i am not very skilled with an actual paint gun.

scurling
02-27-05, 11:48 PM
There are parts stores that may specialize in paint products. I have one locally. they can get any matching paint and their minimum order is one quart. Maybe you have some similar shops in your area.

Do it right man, or you won't be pleased with it. That new paint will need some blending with the old sections wo make it look like one continuous color.

brougham
02-28-05, 02:04 AM
yeah that was one of my options. i just wanted to possibly get a can of spray paint, as i am not very skilled with an actual paint gun.

When you go to the store or call them tell them that you want it in a spray can and they can probably make it in one for you. That's how I got mine.

fleetwood76
02-28-05, 02:43 PM
hello. i,m not sure i have understand you correct but if you wth fender extensions mean the plastic parts between the steel body and the chrome bumpers/taillights i would be sure to tell that to the paint shop you buy the paint from. the reason for this is that there should be an special primer and possible also a "softener" in the paint, this to awoid cracks in the paint due to the more flexible plastic. i must say that i am no painter. but my 76 FWB was resently painted when i bought it and the previous owner did not use any special to the plastic, with result that the cracks was already there when i bought it.
jolle

Katshot
02-28-05, 03:12 PM
That's more or less correct. The term you're looking for is a "flex additive". If you intend to paint the flexible extensions, you'll need a paint shop unless you are planning on selling the car shortly after you paint it. On top of that, there's little chance that any paint that's supposedly an exact match for the OEM paint will come close to matching your existing paint on the 1/4 panels. They are guaranteed to be faded, repainted, or both. For that reason, a paint shop would again be your best bet. They will be able to come pretty close to matching the adjacent finish.
BTW, you don't "blend" from the soft parts onto the hard parts.

scurling
02-28-05, 06:35 PM
Bryan, if you can take this all in, the theme here is painting can get detailed and involved, especially when working with plastic fender pieces, and ensuring their new color matches the older paint on the adjacent fender(s). That is usually done by painting the adjacent fender parts with the correct type of paint and of course, matching color.

Since my comments were taken exception with, I guess I could clarify. Blending involves color and sometimes even texture matching of new and old paint surfaces. Naturally, the correct paint product should be used for the surface application, e.g., plastic, fiberglass, metal, etc., but unless some blending is performed with the older paint, the new paint will stand out like a sore thumb where it meets the older painted surfaces. That's what you want to avoid. The required skill and experience of a good painter is generally what determines the costs of any paint job, unless of course your using $2,000./gal paint.

Anyone can paint a fender, with a gun or a can, but when the car drives by, you 'll look at it and say, "hey, look at that freshly painted fender." It's like doing anything correctly, it usually takes only 5% to 10% more effort than doing the job "just ok", but the outcome of the job done right will look 200% better.

You know, you shouldn't ask Cadillac junkies how to finish the surface of a Cadillac. We always want every Cadiillac looking "showroom" quality. It's that immage thing... :)

Katshot
03-01-05, 02:51 PM
I "think" I need to clarify my point about not "blending" from flexible parts onto the adjacent hard parts. The reason for this is the flexible part(s) "should" be painted seperately, off the car. That doesn't mean they CAN'T be painted after assembly, just that the overall quality of the job will suffer if not done that way IMO.

momentum
03-01-05, 09:53 PM
plastikote has a lot of colors that are GM factory codes, this might get you by, its just according to what you expect from what you put into it....

As for the flex additive, the fender extensions i bought had instructions NOT to use flex primer, i just used bulldog plastic primer over them, then regular primer, followed by sealer, then paint and c/c

bryan1970
03-02-05, 09:19 AM
hmmm so much info... thanks for all the replies i thought this post had died after like a couple of days! so i haven't read it in a while. i never knew about the flex additive. the extensions that i got came off another cadillac, which was white, and mine is a light yelow color. i sanded one down so that it is smooth and just sprayed some regular body primer on it. is that okay or will it weak now? even though i have a lighter color does anyone think that the rest of the car would be faded really enough to make it look real bad. i didn't think it would be faded all that bad. infact i doo plan on trying to sell the car after i get the body work finished. however i don't know how soon i'll actually sell it so it would prolly be better to have someone else do it so it doesn't flake off before i can sell the thing.

and i figured cadillac people would be the best people to ask about something like this becasue they/we are perfectionists. i would only use a rattle can if i could find the paint and the rest of the car waasn't too faded. becasue i think appearence is almost everything when cruisin' in a Lac. And i like to keep my machine clean too. i don't know a whole lot of people that will spend all weekend, day and night to wash and wax thier car. and by the time i'm done you can literally read the ingredients off a pop can in the reflection on the car.