: How picky is the DVD system on formats......divx only?

davedogcaddy
07-15-13, 09:48 PM
Getting ready for a 12+ hour drive with a 3yo when we go on vacation next month.

I have a bunch of .avi files of her fav show, but they are xvid. I just burned a bunch of them to a data DVD and the SRX said it couldn't read the disk.....

so I'm guessing they all have to be converted to divx? is that the only format the system will play?

davedogcaddy
07-17-13, 10:40 PM
I'll answer my own question: not super picky. The problem I was having with the SRX not reading my data DVDs was because Nero was defaulting to the UDF file system, changed this to the ISO setting, and now the SRX will play my .avi files regardless of whether they are xvid or dvix format. Not sure what other formats/containers it supports.

Now for a technical question:

Does anyone know the resolution of the screens in both the from pop-up nav, and the RSE headrest screens? I'm going to be ripping a bunch of my daughter's favorite BD to .avi so I can fit several to disk, but there is no point in keeping them at full 1080p res.

TheCaptain
07-18-13, 07:25 AM
I'm betting they are 720p, but I can't confirm. Just a guess.

davedogcaddy
08-25-13, 11:05 PM
While I still have no way to know the actual resolution of the panels themselves for sure.....you might be right about the 720p thing....any videos I had that were over 720x480 I would get an 'unsupported divx format' error - even though everything about the codec was the same as files that would play otherwise.....they were just too high of a resolution.

so:

it likes the .avi container, both the xvid & divx codecs, and maxes at at 720x480 resolution. Also want to add that I am using 'Office Depot' branded DVD-R (that's minus R) disks.

If only there was some documentation on this somewhere I wouldn't have made so many coasters. Either that or support for playing movies from a USB flash drive.

If anybody else would like to add their settings as far as container/codec/resolution, and media type/brand that would be great. It will help others moving forward.