: Timing Belt - 98 Catera

Dale Walton
02-27-05, 01:21 PM
Hi....owners manual on 1998 Catera says 100,000 miles for a change. I realize there are probably a lot of variables. But, on average is that a good standard to go by?

I've got 64,000 miles on the car. I don't believe there are any warning signs, are there? Does age or any sort of driving habits make it a wise move to change earlier than 100,000. I also understand you really can't easily inspect the condition of the belt...is that true?

Thanks for any guidance.

Dale

Vesicant
02-27-05, 02:21 PM
Hi....owners manual on 1998 Catera says 100,000 miles for a change. I realize there are probably a lot of variables. But, on average is that a good standard to go by?

I've got 64,000 miles on the car. I don't believe there are any warning signs, are there? Does age or any sort of driving habits make it a wise move to change earlier than 100,000. I also understand you really can't easily inspect the condition of the belt...is that true?

Thanks for any guidance.

Dale

100,000 is suggested, and is ok. Some people change drivebelts 50k-70k intervals. Driving habits and climate are what suggest early belt changes, cold starts in cold climates arent good for belts - especially one that involves strict timing of the camshafts.

You can have the belt inspected, BUT this requires removing the engine's accessories, accessory belt, belt tensioner and etc. Everytime. Unless you decide to leave off the camshaft cover than it can be done regularly but then thats also dangerious for debris to get in and do damage. With the belt being inspected, one can check for cracks/lines, loose fibers, a weak belt. Otherwise without inspection- if it breaks or slips, there goes the timing of the camshaft and you will do damage to the engine.

Dont be worried though- with proper maintenance at 100k you will be good. (And this goes with any belt driven cam engine)