: How cool would STS door handles look on a DTS?

Cadillac_Phx
07-15-13, 05:51 PM
Does anyone else think the DTS is sporting out dated handles?? I had a 2002 Lexus ES 300 in midnight blue, it was nice but certainly no Cadillac! Anyways the door handles were chrome, similar to the STS handles. In my opinion that's the only change I would have liked on the exterior body. Opinions??

1BadCadSTS
07-15-13, 05:53 PM
STS has proximity entry. Front handle activates a switch to pop the door not a mechanical latch.

Cadillac_Phx
07-15-13, 06:21 PM
So....what? Does that mean we couldn't modify it? I would like to have seen the DTS come out of the production line with the STS handles! Maybe in chrome? :)

MoistCabbage
07-15-13, 06:41 PM
The handles are dated, aesthetically, they're the same as the ones on a '98 Seville, and they look identical to the handles on several other older GM vehicles. There are several aftermarket covers available (upper, lower, partial).

At some point, or on platinum/performance models, wasn't there a version with chrome accents?

The STS not only used a different handle, but the door skin is completely different in that area. It's not just a cutout. Find a picture and look closely.

danog
07-15-13, 07:04 PM
The STS has a mechanical link between the handle and the latch. The proximity entry unlocks the latch so the mechanical link can work. The inside door handle has a cable to the latch and does not require the latch to be unlock. You can unlock a STS with a dead battery. The XLR is electronically pop open. It has a cable in the trunk to unlock the door when the battery is dead.

Ludacrisvp
07-20-13, 05:52 PM
1BadCad is correct; they aren't mechanically linked like you expect them to be.

You might be able to use the handles from the rear doors that are more conventional as they don't pop the door open like the front ones do.
However, as MoistCabbage indicated the door skins are completely different and you would need to do a lot of work to make the change.