: Absolutely do not have Pepboys work on your DTS, see pics.

SNIPEREAGLE177
07-15-13, 06:48 PM
I know Im going to catch alot of heat for this but I just wanted to give you guys some heads up on what happened. My car was diagnosed with bad hub assemblies that made a rumble and chatter on city streets. I went online and got original AC Delco hubs for my baby. When I had the time to work on it something always came up and it got pushed off. Knowing I would have a hard time breaking the axle nut I decided to take it to Pepboys only because they were open late Saturday when I got out from work. Anyways they got installed and immediately after the ABS, Traction, Stability Trac, and Brake Assist came on. I drove back and the tech in the parking lot said the sensor plug had came off loose. Ok i gave him a chance thinking it was the last wheel he did and he forgot to plug it in. Today on my way to work same thing happened. I got off the car and inspected it and sure enough I see the harness still plugged in but rubbing against the CV Joint. I was furious to say the least. From reading the diagrams weeks before I knew the sensor pigtail had to come out at 12 or 11 o'clock if you are looking at it from the inside out and attach to the dust shield to keep it out of the way. No damage was made to the harness thankfully but I made Pepboys refund me part of my money for the inconvenience. I hope this post helps someone when selecting what shop will repair your car. Im sure if it wasnt for the pictures and my background they could of fooled someone that didnt know. They actually tried to tell me my ABS pump had gone bad and I stopped him in mid sentence, pulled my phone out and showed him that I would consider that after they turned the hubs around to be in the same spot just like they were on before they touched it.

Cadillac_Phx
07-15-13, 06:57 PM
Damn....I've bought plenty of things there but never had them service anything...never will. Thanks for the heads up! My cousin is a mechanic at a dealer and he says the guys are lazy and don't wanna put effort into their work. Often the mechanics just change the date on oil filters & don't change the spark plugs that are difficult to reach!

Superjim
07-15-13, 07:57 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience ... THAT SUCKS...

The axle nuts are easy to break loose...
They are only 110 ft lbs.

I did mine in the driveway...
Took a couple of hours for the first one... because I didn't know what I was doing and was being real careful and taking pics as I took it apart.
Plus I am old and slow... :)
The other one only took about an hour.

MoistCabbage
07-15-13, 08:07 PM
I used to work at Pep Boys, retail side, but I was in the shop a lot to help when they needed help...

You got the thread title wrong. It should read: "Absolutely do not have Pep Boys work on anything more complicated than a wheel barrow!!!".

Superjim
07-15-13, 08:11 PM
I used to work at Pep Boys, retail side, but I was in the shop a lot to help when they needed help...

You got the thread title wrong. It should read: "Absolutely do not have Pep Boys work on anything more complicated than a wheel barrow!!!".

:thumbsup: :) :) :)

SNIPEREAGLE177
07-15-13, 08:55 PM
Yep Moistcabbage! you got that right.

TMP01
07-16-13, 09:36 AM
If you're the kind of person that has to have work done properly, and are anal about it, take the time and do it yourself, or find a mechanic who is nothing short of an artisan at what he/she does.

I can't even find a Cadillac dealership that does everything right. Missing clips, loose shrouds, etc. It's all production work. But then again, the vast majority of people don't care about things like that. I'm going to have to replace my front engine mount, and I dread having anyone touch my car. Might just do it myself. I've rebuilt just about every part there is on a car, and have done restorations in the recent past, I've just never worked on anything this new ;)

mike5514
07-17-13, 10:16 AM
I dont like to have people working on my cars never got use to it.

When my car goes out of sight I get nervous.

I did not help the day I caught a psycho busting the lug studs on the wheels of my 2 yr old GMC with 2 other yahoos watching him. Mike

peryan
11-26-13, 09:28 AM
I had a similar experience at Pep Boys with a completely wrong diagnosis of an issue. They wanted $1200 to fix a misfire when it only needed a single plug coil. They told my sister -in -law that she would not make it home with the car as is. I fixed it for $69. 2001 Merc. I wrote Pep Boys corporate about our experience but they rationalized it as a one time only error...yea right!

Submariner409
11-26-13, 09:44 AM
Perhaps I'm fortunate to live in a semi-rural area: A local Mom&Pop auto shop, AMJ Automotive, has 2 locations near here. Both owned and operated by the same family, 3 generations - and all of them are members of the local hot rod/classic/stock/sports car club, Kent Island Cruisers. Everyone knows just about everyone here (the been-heres, not the come-heres) so, if there's auto/truck work that I can't/don't want to tackle, that's where the vehicles go. Car or trucks - they come back without a fingerprint on them. The "local" Cadillac dealership - Fitzgerald Cadillac - 15 miles west of here, is also a great place to have work done. Expensive, but good.