: 95 Fleetwood Dies After Around 20 Minutes Running

adamandevil
07-15-13, 05:49 PM
I have a 95 Fleetwood. If cooled over the night, I can crank it like nothing is wrong. It will run for about 20 minutes, then it just dies (cuts off). I cannot crank it back no matter what. After about an hour or two of cooling then I crank it back but will stay on about 5 minutes then and turn right back off again. I changed fuel filter to see if something to do with fuel or anything. Yet problem still exists. Anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this? It acts like it gets hot and has its own kill switch. Also no dashboard lights light up to indicate anything wrong when first cranked to when it cuts off on its own. Thanks.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
07-15-13, 06:07 PM
just a guess would be a bad fuel pump, but theres so many other possibilities with all the electronics...ignition control module, ect

adamandevil
07-15-13, 06:10 PM
I changed water pump to make sure no heat problem and thermostat also. I took the small cap off behind motor and there is plenty of fuel pressure squirting fuel out. Also I opened gas cap and turned ignition to on position and I hear the pump running. So a few more things eliminated. Yet still have same trouble.

Poda
07-15-13, 06:13 PM
Any trouble codes? Check the stickied threads at the top of this forum for how to get access through the HVAC controls. Not all codes throw a CEL..

adamandevil
07-15-13, 06:34 PM
Trouble codes? I ain't seen any or either I am not looking in right spot for trouble codes. Nothing pops up on dash at anytime on vehicle though.

SafariOne
07-15-13, 10:58 PM
When was the last time you checked or replaced the Temp. Sensor??

csbuckn
07-15-13, 11:22 PM
I'm going with fuel pump also. Runs till it gets hot and then dies. I bet you have no fuel pressure when it dies. You can rent a fuel pressure tester for free at most autozones and oriellys, put it on the test nipple and see what pressure you get when it cuts off.

drmenard
07-15-13, 11:41 PM
My bet is its the coil.. That sounds just the way they act just before they go all together..

csbuckn
07-15-13, 11:59 PM
$5 bet? lol just playing.

Both easy to test. Spark tester is like five dollars if you dont do the "set it next to metal" test.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
07-16-13, 12:20 AM
yea check these 3, all easy Fuel pump when it kills, the coil and the ignition control module

Cadillacboy
07-16-13, 03:59 PM
We replaced ignition control module , coils and distributor . It seems we have fixed stalling problem and extended cranking when shift in R or coming close to stop when in D .However, the car is not perfect at all .It still needs work down to spark plug wires

adamandevil
07-25-13, 02:46 PM
Update: I changed the distributor cap/rotor, coil. So total, now fuel filter, distributor cap/rotor, water pump, coolant temperature sensor. I am still having trouble but not like use too. Now when it gets hot it still dies and cuts off, but I am able to crank it back now, but it misses and skips now after getting hot. Any idea now on any thing? Thanks

outsider
07-25-13, 03:53 PM
have you done the plugs and wires? How about the EGR valve? Either of those could potentially cause those problems.

Cadillacboy
07-25-13, 04:29 PM
Fuel pump besides outsider's post . You said you had changed the filter but a weak pump could cause a stall I guess

adamandevil
07-25-13, 05:04 PM
Next on my list is change the fuel pump. Going to change plugs and wires also, but going to let uncle help on those on his car lift at his shop. My uncle said plugs and wires shouldn't cause the missing and skipping I am having now. If it was the plugs and/or wires it should do it first cranked up even when cool. It only misses and skips it seems after about 20 minutes of running when it starts getting hot good. Like before after about 20 minutes of running seems it gets warmed up good it auto turns itself off, but I could never crank it back until it was cooled off again. Now I can crank it back but longer it runs more the miss and skipping I get now. Again does not miss and skip when first cranked from being cool from over night rest, only after about 20 minutes of running and auto shuts off, then recrank it misses and skips.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
07-25-13, 07:28 PM
so many things it could be without actually experiencing it live...i will tell you this which i had similar symptoms on a totally different vehicle.

my 91 isuzu. ran fine for like you say 20 minutes or so then would sputter and die and would take a lil while before starting again and shortly die again

the rubber fuel line was old and breaking apart on the inside, as the pump pulled fuel through it would clog the filter with rubber and stall the truck, had to wait for it to settle back down before it would start again.

changed the filter and lines and no issues again

Sheradan
08-03-13, 11:46 AM
+1 on temp sensor. Had the same problem with my 92. $12 made it run great.

blueboy
08-03-13, 11:51 AM
What grade of fuel are you running the car on?

adamandevil
09-03-13, 01:49 AM
New update: I have took it to someone auto place my uncle referred me too. He said it was the distributor itself. We got the car back and next day it died again and wouldn't even crank no more. Just turns and turns and no cranking. Took coil wire off and it is firing for sure as a new coil was put on. Took it back to the shop and he said it was the distributor again. By luck he furnished it so had to replace it, labor and part on his side. Got car back for second time took about 2 days and yet dies yet again, same thing. Took it back the third time and just got it back and now he said it was the ignition coil module he replaced and had to pay for. Before I even got it home which is 30 minute drive to shop who worked on it. It already died again and stuck in a church parking lot as of Friday. Next day try cranking and nothing again just turns and turns. Now the Coil, Ignition Control Module, Plugs & Wires, Distributor/Cap/Rotor, Water Pump, Fuel Filter, Thermostat has been replaced now. Fuel pressure still there when removed the cap behind motor still. So anyone have any idea what could be causing this still? Getting aggravating paying this person and having to pay to get it took to his shop (paying mu cousin since he has a trailer to move vehicles) and still nothing getting solved it seems. Again anyone know what else it could be?

j2rossit
09-03-13, 10:11 AM
I would take the advise of borrowing a fuel pressure tester from a part store and checking the fuel pressure. Just because it squirts fuel after it's stalled doesn't mean it's getting the full pressure when it's running. It'll squirt fuel out at lower pressures but won't run properly.

tholmes
09-12-13, 09:32 PM
I have been having the same problem with my 95 Fleetwood and I changed the fuel pump and assembly unit and I managed to drive it home but my check engine light is on and it still tries to die and the only code popping up is airpump which shouldn't kill the car so if you figure anything out would you please update