: Gas milage

steve05XLR
07-15-13, 03:05 PM
Hi Fellow XLR owners, I have owned my 05 for three years and still excited to drive every day. I have a question for the XLR techs . I have recently moved to California from Florida and live approximatly 1 mile from work. I drive every day and I filled up with gas today and my average was 9.9 MPG. I assume it is because it never gets warmed up and never shifts out of second gear, mabey third occasionally. But if some one out there may have a different conclusion let me know. The car is running great.
Steve

Submariner409
07-15-13, 03:27 PM
A 1 mile commute is the absolute WORST kind of abuse to hand to a car/engine - ANY car.

10 mpg is good under the constant cold engine running conditions. Get a bicycle. Save the poor XLR.

Ranger
07-16-13, 02:33 PM
WOW! Talk about abuse.

steve05XLR
07-16-13, 04:47 PM
Thanks gang, no more bike riding for me, but with 153000 on my baby i guess I will have to taker out for a cruise more often, By the way I have never abused the xlr. runs and looks just like the day I bought her!

Submariner409
07-16-13, 06:49 PM
I've posted this many times - There's a very real difference between "abuse" and "spirited driving". Fortunately I live in an area with several thousand square miles of checkerboard farm country - those roads allow spirited driving, and the STS loves it.

Ranger
07-17-13, 09:09 PM
I think you misunderstood us Steve. Short, one mile drives IS abuse.

steve05XLR
07-19-13, 02:34 PM
Yep I get the engineering behind short drives and the effects it has on equipment. I guess I was hoping that there might be a different programing for the car in california vs florida. just curious.