: Help with removing Northstar coolant crossover

94 STS
02-26-05, 11:47 PM
Hey everyone,

My 94 Northstar has a severe leak right above and to the right (2 o'clock) of the water pump. I pour coolant in and it goes out just as fast as I pour it in. Replaced water pump. Radiator hoses were almost impacted with the sealant. It seems to be leaking from the crossover. I canít see the exact spot though. I'm pretty sure that I need to remove the coolant crossover from the back of the engine. I have the Helms shop manual, but it does not specify how to do it. I purchased the 4 replacement gaskets that I will need. Do I need any sealant? There seems to be red sealant on it now. I have everything off except the water pump and the throttle body.

Any help would be appreciated tremendously!!!!

Thanks,
Kelly
94 STS 232k Miles

zonie77
02-27-05, 12:34 AM
We pulled the croosover as part of replacing the head gaskets and I don't remember anything special being needed. It just had the bolts holding it to the head.

I don't think we used any extra sealant but if there is any corrosion either some high tack (like contact cement) should suffice. I think Bbob has mentioned some sealers but don't have that saved. If the surfaces are good the gaskets should be fine without anything extra.

sts96
02-27-05, 09:43 AM
Remove as much as you can to open up the work area.
I find a set of metric u-joint socket wrench and a 24 inch extension very handy along with a large amount of patence.
Not the easest of jobs but possible. sts 96

94 STS
03-01-05, 10:35 PM
Thank you both for the advice and instructions. I'll let you know how it turns out. I have a mechanic here in Atlanta that will put a 99 Northstar in my 94 for $5000. Can't afford that. If I had that much to blow I would be getting another car.

Thanks again,

K

Caddyloversincebirth
03-02-05, 10:33 PM
Some one told me that I could only put a 93 or 94 N* in my 94 STS...something about the configuration and the ODB...is this true? does anyone know of a problem with putting a "Newer" N* in a 94 model???

zonie77
03-03-05, 11:06 AM
True. There was a thread a while ago from a guy who got a newer engine to fit but he did a lot of customizing on the sensors. I wouldn't recommend it and a shop wouldn't do it... Well, if they would, they'd be charging you too much to be worth it.

94 STS
03-12-05, 01:13 PM
Hey guys,

Will I have to remove the new water pump to do this job?
If so, I'll have to order or buy the socket.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Kelly
Sick 94 STS

caddydaddy
03-12-05, 01:28 PM
No, you can leave the waterpump alone, and remove the whole crossover.

94 STS
03-12-05, 02:53 PM
Thanks Caddyman!
That's a releif.

Kelly

therodman
03-14-05, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know if a 1996 crossover will fit a 1994N.