: low oil pressure

stoveguyy
07-15-13, 02:00 PM
95 deville northstar. get a low oil pressure warning. no odd sounds from motor. seems to idle fine. what is the scenario? i know its either bad pressure sensor or stuck oil pressure relief valve. i had the valve issue 6 yrs ago on my sts. this is on a new car i am looking at. can you drive car with low pressure message or will system shut fuel flow down?

Submariner409
07-15-13, 02:52 PM
There is no fuel pump control connected to the oil pressure sending switch - The PCM controls the pump module - an engine stall shuts down the fuel pump, but not an oil pressure warning message.

If the pressure warning light shows at warm idle the chances are 99% that it's the sending switch on the oil filter adapter. If the warning shows at 1500 rpm you have problems.

The chances of the oil pressure control spring/plunger in the oil pump hanging up are slim and none.

stoveguyy
07-15-13, 05:28 PM
But sub did not know of top end rattle. Guy said motor was quiet

Went to look at it. Said it was quiet. It was not. Top end rattle. Dash said low oil pressure. Stop engine. Do not know if he drove car long. We listened to my car. He said they sounded similar. Told him about oil overfilling. Said cool. 700 as is. So I bailed. 1 hr later he called. Oil trick worked. Price is higher now. Guess I did not want to make a bet.
Kids car has bad trans. Was going to use this as temporary replacement. So we have 1 car with bad trans. Was not real keen on getting 2nd car with oil issues. Kids car is a 99 so getting a 95 deville would be hard sell. Plan was to fix it and sell it.
Oh, did I mention car has remaned trans?

Ranger
07-15-13, 09:51 PM
So it was a stuck open check valve? Easy fix, but you gotta ask yourself what kind of debris was in the engine to cause that and how did it get there? That would keep me awake nights.

stoveguyy
07-15-13, 10:59 PM
Yep, I looked at motor and listened to rattle and thought to myself, dang, I am 98% sure I can fix it with 1 gal of oil. Chicken.

stoveguyy
07-24-13, 11:57 AM
Found a 2000 deville with a botched timesert job. Seller says 1 of the serts broke/cracked and block may be toast. Wants 500 for car. Hmm, now I need to find junkyard 2k core motor. Or a big sert kit?

CadillacLuke24
07-24-13, 01:43 PM
Found a 2000 deville with a botched timesert job. Seller says 1 of the serts broke/cracked and block may be toast. Wants 500 for car. Hmm, now I need to find junkyard 2k core motor. Or a big sert kit?

Normsert!

04GrandAmGT
07-25-13, 10:45 AM
Unless you would like to stud the engine, our Sure Grip Head Studs will still work even though the engine has been timeserted, give us a call or send us an email for further questions.