: Headlight Help

c21guy
07-15-13, 12:01 AM
Hope someone can give me some help. When driving my 2006 DTS at dusk with light knob on auto the lights come on at a certain level of darkness. Right front low beam doesn't always come on. I think it has come on a time or two and and goes on and off like maybe a loose connection.
If I turn the knob to headlights it works every time. Are there two different circuits controlling the headlights??
Any suggestions to debug this thing?
TIA
Jim

c21guy
07-27-13, 09:56 PM
Has anyone had problems with a flickering/on and off headlight?

----------

Found some help in Search function. Several sound like my problem.
Thanks

phigment
07-27-13, 10:02 PM
Its either a failing ballast or a dieing bulb. There have been a few threads on this topic. Do a search and you'll find all the information your looking for.

Tom's Caddy
07-27-13, 11:13 PM
phigment your thread on headlight removal a while ago was great. I think you are bang on with the advice you gave c21guy, I think ballast. My parking bulb just went out. When you changed yours out, what size nut and bolt in lower cave, was it 10mm? Also can a normal depth socket go over the two bolts there? I have limited tools. Is the 2825 bulb the same as GM part #1999382? And one more question please, when you bump the bumper facia ahead 3-4 inches like you did, in no way could you unhook your parking assist sensors can you? Thanks so much for all you're help.

BIGDADDYCADDY07
07-28-13, 12:39 AM
Has anyone had problems with a flickering/on and off headlight?

----------

Found some help in Search function. Several sound like my problem.
Thanks

i had the same problem i changed my bulbs not one flicker or bulb turning off in a year now i would also change the other bulbs while you have it apart dont pay dlr price for the bulbs you can find good bulbs for 150 per pair head lamps the other bulbs are maybe 10 bucks headlight bulbs are #d1s

fubar123
07-28-13, 12:29 PM
I changed both sides, no problem now. left one was flickering.

phigment
07-28-13, 08:51 PM
phigment your thread on headlight removal a while ago was great. I think you are bang on with the advice you gave c21guy, I think ballast. My parking bulb just went out. When you changed yours out, what size nut and bolt in lower cave, was it 10mm? Also can a normal depth socket go over the two bolts there? I have limited tools. Is the 2825 bulb the same as GM part #1999382? And one more question please, when you bump the bumper facia ahead 3-4 inches like you did, in no way could you unhook your parking assist sensors can you? Thanks so much for all you're help.

I used a deep socket. A shallow socket might work but I wouldn't wager a lot of money on it. I got my bulbs at autozone. I don't know what GM's part number is. If I remember correctly, the parking assist sensor(s) wiring harness is connected to the main wiring harness by a single large connector. There is slack enough as long as you do not remove the bumper completely.

Tom's Caddy
07-29-13, 08:39 AM
Thanks phigment. Mine is done :yup: and just a couple of hints if I may. I did not remove the wheels. You will have to do step #8 in phigments original post, the guy that said he skipped the nut in the upper cave could not have removed the lens from the car.