: Sub install idea...

Gsxrfever
02-26-05, 03:21 PM
Ok guys here is my plan for my cts. I have 2 JL 10W7 and 2 JL 500/1 amps to install in my trunk. My plan is to completely remove the stock bose sub and use that opening as a port (sort of). I want to build a box with the subs facing up underneath the rear deck in the trunk and completely close off the rest of the trunk by from the subs so that the whole box will be airtight only allowing air to travel through the hole in the rear deck from where the stock sub used to be. Let me know what you think! Also do you think that there will be any problems with the rear deck rattling? Thanks for the input:thumbsup:

CTS Orlando
02-26-05, 06:06 PM
Theres quite a few of us that have DynaMated the rear decklid, that will resolve any rattling issues you might be concerned about. There is also some electronic hardware mounted on the decklid that you may want to Dynamat or secure better. The idea to port the subs through the factory subwoofer opening is a great idea, I've heard it mentioned before. For those of us experienced bassers out there, I have learned that there is no sure way of ever knowing how to get optimal bass out of a configuration. Speaking honestly, the port through the decklid sounds like a great idea, but might not sound as good as you expect. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Gsxrfever
02-26-05, 07:17 PM
Then what would you suggest by chance? I've always been a fan of downward facing subs but never installed them in a trunk. I guess no matter which way you install subs (in a standard sealed enclosure) their gonna move the same amount of air in a trunk. It'll be awhile as I'm hurting financially right now but I'll be sure to post pics.

D148L0
02-26-05, 08:13 PM
Then what would you suggest by chance? I've always been a fan of downward facing subs but never installed them in a trunk.
Downward facing subs... they are more suitable for large open spaces, like a room. There are a couple of manufacturers that use the same principle (SAS for example) with their ported products.

I guess no matter which way you install subs (in a standard sealed enclosure) their gonna move the same amount of air in a trunk. It'll be awhile as I'm hurting financially right now but I'll be sure to post pics. Amount of air, yes. However, you have to consider the waves: positioning does make a difference. How noticeable? depends on your specific setup.
The only way to know the best position in your car is to place the enclosure in different positions before fixing it.
If you are interested, I could give you a couple of links with the theory.

cjp85
02-26-05, 08:32 PM
I have a 12W7 in my trunk with 1000 watts going to it from a JL monoblock amp. I have it facing backwards(away). It sounds the best for my setup as bass sounds better in my opinion when it has to travel further. The only problem I have with is my rear bezel rattles when it hits hard. If you're gonna face the speakers toward the rear deck I would dynamat the hell out of it and secure everything real tight. I don't get a whole lot of rattle from the rear deck except at certain frequencies, but I will be doing a dynamat job on it real soon. Overall it sounds great and was pretty easy to install.

Gsxrfever
02-26-05, 08:55 PM
I have a 12W7 in my trunk with 1000 watts going to it from a JL monoblock amp. I have it facing backwards(away). It sounds the best for my setup as bass sounds better in my opinion when it has to travel further. The only problem I have with is my rear bezel rattles when it hits hard. If you're gonna face the speakers toward the rear deck I would dynamat the hell out of it and secure everything real tight. I don't get a whole lot of rattle from the rear deck except at certain frequencies, but I will be doing a dynamat job on it real soon. Overall it sounds great and was pretty easy to install.

Thanks for the input! If all fails, I'll probably just do a rear facing install but I really want to try it out on someone's vehicle but nobody wants to let me "experiment". Another concern about the install that I forgot to mention earlier is the pressure on the back window with all the air being forced through the hole. (shouldn't be too bad though) Hopefully I'll get some free time soon so I can start because talking about it is just making me all the more anxious.

cjp85
02-26-05, 09:15 PM
If you have any question be sure to post em. Just curious, where are you planning to tap for a signal to your amp and what stock setup do you have(base/Bose)?

Gsxrfever
02-26-05, 09:43 PM
If you have any question be sure to post em. Just curious, where are you planning to tap for a signal to your amp and what stock setup do you have(base/Bose)?

I plan on using the signal from the wires from the stock sub like crockone. Hopefully the signal will still be strong enough since I will have to split it twice since I'm running 2 amps.

I have the bose system.

I know this has been brought up before, but wouldn't it be so much easier if someone would just produce an OEM look stereo bezel and kit to keep the personalization/clock/etc controls? I guess that would be too easy for everyone else though!

If anyone is wanting to help fund my project, Please feel free!! :yup: j/k, no Im serious

D148L0
02-26-05, 09:51 PM
I plan on using the signal from the wires from the stock sub like crockone. Hopefully the signal will still be strong enough since I will have to split it twice since I'm running 2 amps.
You don't need to split it twice. Your amps have an RCA OUTput you can use to take the signal to the other one...

I know this has been brought up before, but wouldn't it be so much easier if someone would just produce an OEM look stereo bezel and kit to keep the personalization/clock/etc controls? I guess that would be too easy for everyone else though!

Do a "cleansweep" search on the forums, and/or:

http://jlaudio.com/press/CleanSweep05.html

Gsxrfever
02-26-05, 10:04 PM
You don't need to split it twice. Your amps have an RCA OUTput you can use to take the signal to the other one...

Do a "cleansweep" search on the forums, and/or:

http://jlaudio.com/press/CleanSweep05.html

True, I guess I wasn't thinking about the outputs. My buddy in at the local stereo shop showed me a brochure that he got for the cleansweep. If later on I plan to replace all speakers in my car I'll probably purchase a cleansweep but since its not going to be on the market until May I guess I won't think about that for right now. I really sounds like an amazing piece though. Leave it to JL to come up with the idea though!

crockone
02-26-05, 10:15 PM
did someone say cleansweay! to die for! delish.!

newton
02-27-05, 02:20 AM
I'm actually going to try a free air setup with an infinity 10vq on the deck lid. Mounting it upwards instead of thru the hole. Free air i know wont get me any kind of real thump but not really what I'm looking for. I have a jl 500/5 just about ready to be setup in a few days once i pickup my cdt's. If the sub in the rear deck is really no good ill just end up making a box i guess.

crockone
02-27-05, 12:24 PM
on the deck lid. Mounting it upwards instead of thru the hole.

so your saying you gonna mount it backwards.. um it might hit the winshield.

newton
02-27-05, 01:59 PM
o your saying you gonna mount it backwards.. um it might hit the winshield.:banghead: duh

no I'm mounting it from the bottom up. the sub will still face the same direction it does now, but instead of dropping a sub thru the hole, I'm mounting it up into the hole.

crockone
02-27-05, 04:28 PM
i guess. same thing to me.

axapowell
02-28-05, 01:33 AM
A single 12" competition sub in a sealed "Spec Box" with a 1000 D class mono block in a 2000 DeVille hits 131db. No deck ports or any other modifications. As a matter of fact, the factory sub is still in it's place. By passed the factorc amp and am running a 75x4 D class amp as well. Sound quality and SPL are awesome. Can post pix if you'd like.

Dave

D148L0
02-28-05, 10:50 AM
A single 12" competition sub in a sealed "Spec Box" with a 1000 D class mono block in a 2000 DeVille hits 131db. No deck ports or any other modifications. As a matter of fact, the factory sub is still in it's place. By passed the factorc amp and am running a 75x4 D class amp as well. Sound quality and SPL are awesome. Can post pix if you'd like.

Dave
Absolutely. PLease do so.

axapowell
03-06-05, 11:55 AM
sorry for the delay...I was traveling the last week or so.

2000 DeVille with '04 Factory 16" wheels, E&G Classics billet/ stainless Z 3-D Grille, Pioneer AVH6600 DVD w/ 6.5" pop-out LCD screen. Memphis 1000 D sub Amp, Memphis 75x4 4 channel, Memphis 12" HPO comp sub, custom box w/ laser cut 1/4" lexan custom reverse engraved (hard to photo) with 8 white LED back lighting, Sirius and XM radio. Factory speakers with amp disabled and powered by Memphis amp (75x4). Dash kit from Metra, I think it was part number 99-2003. Hit 131bd best at 3/4 gain on the sub amp with trunk closed and rear arm rest closed.

Let me know what you think. I installed everything with the help of my good friend Chris who owns Performance Autosport in Johnson City, NY. If you look close on the lexan, you will see his logo. Again, it is much more vibrant at night. I'll try to catch a photo of it lit up.

Dave

crockone
03-06-05, 02:11 PM
maybee this should be in the deville section!