: low voltage

rbzstsv
07-14-13, 04:07 PM
Well on my way to Wisconsin Dells with the family the low voltage comes on. I look at the meter and it's 11.8. I slowly accelerated and while under load the voltage went slowly up to 13.5. But while not under load the voltage would slowly drop back down. I figured it was a bad battery. The battery hasn't been replaced in 3 years so I figured I'd buy one on the road and replace it if the car died. We made the 3 hour trip with two pit stops on the way ( car was off for 40 minutes during stops). This morning I went out and it's dead. So I put the other battery in. Car starts right up after install. I get out close hood, sit down again low voltage light comes on... 11.6. I figure take car for a drive maybe this new battery needs a charge. Car dies, no power. So tow truck arrives after a few taxi rides to auto part stores with no luck for battery. He puts his jump box on it and it says battery has 20 volts.. Car still won't start. His jump box says it has 14 volts and the battery still has 20 volts. Alternator? Bad battery? Maybe drawing voltage at short? Sorry for paragraph. Thanks for any insight.

boomys10
07-14-13, 06:01 PM
alternator good sir. if the battery is reading that high and the car dies WHEN driving, its not on the battery at that point, only the alternator. your the third one in 2weeks, I think im going to buy one just to be safe. lol

----------

218$ on rockauto for the acdelco oem one, autozone only has the duralast one (not rebuilt) for 153 around me. just a few ideas for ya buddy~

Guy.Seminerio
07-14-13, 06:33 PM
Absolutely alternator.

rbzstsv
07-14-13, 06:37 PM
Hard job on this car? I remember looking at it while doing jabsco pump and thinking how easy it looked to get out of there. IM just prolly gonna end up having dealership out here do it seeing how IM about 3 hours from home :) woo go me

boomys10
07-14-13, 06:51 PM
according to a post put up not long ago, the dealer will run about 800 for alternator and install. id rather do it on the side of the road than pay that much for that job. just my opinion though. I have no idea how hard it is from expirence, but I would guess to hard, prolly just take the belt off the alternator, remove bolts from pump and move it. loosen bolts on alternator and drop outta bottom. opposite to replace. again, I have not done this myself so don't really know.

rbzstsv
07-14-13, 07:10 PM
I wonder if that is KY included or if that's extra....

TimmyC
07-14-13, 08:49 PM
It's not that hard. Need to jack up the car and do if from underneath.

I had my alternator rebuilt for $60 so you might look into that. Even with the tow bill it might be cheaper to do it yourself at home.

rbzstsv
07-14-13, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate.

rbzstsv
07-15-13, 10:02 AM
$460 for alternator and $660 for install/alternator from Don Larson gmc in Baraboo. What a joke. Just ordered online for $214.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-15-13, 12:15 PM
Well on my way to Wisconsin Dells with the family the low voltage comes on. I look at the meter and it's 11.8. I slowly accelerated and while under load the voltage went slowly up to 13.5. But while not under load the voltage would slowly drop back down. I figured it was a bad battery. The battery hasn't been replaced in 3 years so I figured I'd buy one on the road and replace it if the car died. We made the 3 hour trip with two pit stops on the way ( car was off for 40 minutes during stops). This morning I went out and it's dead. So I put the other battery in. Car starts right up after install. I get out close hood, sit down again low voltage light comes on... 11.6. I figure take car for a drive maybe this new battery needs a charge. Car dies, no power. So tow truck arrives after a few taxi rides to auto part stores with no luck for battery. He puts his jump box on it and it says battery has 20 volts.. Car still won't start. His jump box says it has 14 volts and the battery still has 20 volts. Alternator? Bad battery? Maybe drawing voltage at short? Sorry for paragraph. Thanks for any insight.

Hello rbzstsv,

I apologize for the vehicle trouble you are experiencing. I see you have been offered advice from the community and have located an alternator part online which you ordered. Let us know how everything goes. We are able to be contacted via private message and can further discuss any concern or questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

rbzstsv
07-16-13, 04:50 PM
$275 installed with diagnostic check. Not bad. Great customer service at Don Larson in Baraboo WI. I dealt with Kevin-Service Manager.

boomys10
07-16-13, 05:05 PM
they went from charging you 660 to 275? damn.

rbzstsv
07-16-13, 08:22 PM
Got alternator for $214. Instead of 460$ from them

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-17-13, 10:21 AM
$275 installed with diagnostic check. Not bad. Great customer service at Don Larson in Baraboo WI. I dealt with Kevin-Service Manager.

Hi rbzstsv,

I am glad the parts were installed in your vehicle and the issue was resolved. I am happy to hear the dealer had great customer service and were accommodating for your situation. Don't hesitate to contact us in the near future if you have any other concerns or questions.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

boomys10
07-17-13, 10:44 AM
don't understand why the price is even 500 to begin with. Cadillac service, can you do anything about the way to steep prices dealers charge for our parts? they are losing a lot of business by trying to screw each person over honestly. I wont take my car to a dealer for anything, just doesn't make sense to.

Guy.Seminerio
07-17-13, 11:02 AM
Well you gotta think.. They gotta pay for the coffee, bagels, fancy buildings, oh and someone has to get filthy rich. Talk to me Laura, why did he get the same alternator for $216 that the dealer was selling for $460? I could understand the service being more money because they do such a good job at the dealers :helpless: but parts?

PGA2B
07-17-13, 11:24 AM
Full list vs. real world price. I priced a rocker panel for mine and the dealer near me and they wanted $650. I checked around and found it for $450 at a different dealer, same part!

boomys10
07-17-13, 12:48 PM
I understand the prices change and all that crap, but that's just plain dumb. I used to go to my dealer and would get oil changes for 79 or 120 depending on the service advisor, that doesn't make any damned sense at all.

Guy.Seminerio
07-17-13, 02:33 PM
Wow. Lets see if cadillac customer service can explain this without using the words private message and vin.

boomys10
07-17-13, 02:51 PM
that would be nice. I have a sneaking guess this will be avoided though. just a hunch

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-17-13, 03:49 PM
Hi All,

I wanted to address the question about the parts pricing. Dealerships are independently owned and operated. They own the inventory and set final pricing.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

boomys10
07-17-13, 05:29 PM
you should tell them to stop being greedy then. its a joke trying to get things done on our cars when all pricing is different (from oil changes to full engine replacement ) maybe Cadillac should look into setting some standard of pricing for their dealerships.

rbzstsv
07-17-13, 09:36 PM
I agree with you, but I'd say the majority of the customers they are interested in and or deal with the most don't care about spending a little extra money. I've met a lot of people driving Cadillac, BMW, Benz, etc.. that brag about parts and service being more expensive because of the vehicles they drive. I personally thinks it's crazy but I also excepted this before purchasing this car.

Guy.Seminerio
07-18-13, 03:06 AM
Laura,

Although the dealers act independently in that respect, it doesn't just make the dealer look bad, it reflects poorly on cadillac and GM as a whole.

Someone who has some say in this matter needs to put their foot down and regulate this. Until then, stories like these are circulated among owners of GM cars and even worse, prospective owners. As much pride as I have in GM and cadillac, the dealer service is killing me. And it's to the point that if someone asked me about how service at the cadillac dealer is, I'd be completely honest about all the horrors I've experienced.

Ill be moving back to NYC in less than a year and I asked about my future local dealer on a "long island v owners unite" thread in the cts-v forums and apparently it's top notch. I'm so excited to have to deal with them and can't wait till I don't have to deal with my current dealer. Something needs to be done about this and surveys aren't the answer. There needs to be "undercover" people sent to dealers for services to see how they're treated and how the services are performed.

rbzstsv
07-18-13, 11:24 AM
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!? "Undercover Boss Cadillac V Edition"