: 02 Escalade Front drive train issue

ozark preacher
07-14-13, 12:38 AM
I recently installed new axles and seals in the front. Now it is developing a whine in the front as well that gets progressively worse as it gets hotter. Around town is not an issue but a short trip of 20 miles or so and starts crow hopping when you turn either way also makes noise. Once it cools off it is back to normal. No noise and smooth as silk.

Any thoughts?

mikedyk43
07-14-13, 03:48 AM
What front seals are you referring to?

ozark preacher
07-14-13, 04:45 PM
What front seals are you referring to?

Axle seals

icaddy
07-14-13, 07:49 PM
I recently installed new axles and seals in the front. Now it is developing a whine in the front as well that gets progressively worse as it gets hotter. Around town is not an issue but a short trip of 20 miles or so and starts crow hopping when you turn either way also makes noise. Once it cools off it is back to normal. No noise and smooth as silk.

Any thoughts?

Preload is not met, I guess

Skier-24
07-15-13, 02:39 PM
Did you replace the gear oil in the front differential? If so, did you put the right type back in it? I have heard of differentials trying to lock up or grab when the wrong fluid is used.

ozark preacher
07-16-13, 11:28 PM
Did you replace the gear oil in the front differential? If so, did you put the right type back in it? I have heard of differentials trying to lock up or grab when the wrong fluid is used.

i did add fluid, about a quart. oreilly's gave me gl5 80-90. just checked the manual and it says to use synthetic 75-90. think that could be the problem?

YoshiMan
07-17-13, 01:48 AM
I would change it out and go from there. Even if its not the cause of the problem, the front differentials on these like to burn up so you will want to have a good synthetic in there!

ozark preacher
07-17-13, 03:46 PM
I would change it out and go from there. Even if its not the cause of the problem, the front differentials on these like to burn up so you will want to have a good synthetic in there!

What usually fails on them? Gears, bearing, everything?

the cadillac man
07-17-13, 04:29 PM
What usually fails on them? Gears, bearing, everything?

From what I have seen in most threads on here its the bearings

ozark preacher
07-17-13, 04:55 PM
From what I have seen in most threads on here its the bearings

Axle or pinion? both?

the cadillac man
07-17-13, 09:32 PM
Axle or pinion? both?

I am going to guess both
I haven't read them in a while

ozark preacher
07-17-13, 10:23 PM