: rawr rawr rawr on deceleration

WarrenMRogers
07-13-13, 10:57 PM
I'm getting an increasingly noisy rubbung/winding like noise when coming to a stop. It certainly sounds rotational and seems to be less prevalent when the clutch is engaged. It sort of sounds like wheel bearings failing but i thought id check here before I go hunting it down tomorrow. Any suggestions? 2004 / 100k miles. New pads and rotors in December.

Andringa
07-13-13, 11:28 PM
From my experience as wheel bearing to out they change noise depending on side to side weight transfer. Meaning if your front right bearin is bad it will get worse when you turn left and increase the load on that bearing.

My guess for that type of noise on decel would be driveline related. Something like the diff internals or more likely a CV joint. Either on the a les or driveshaft. CV joints tend to make noise as you vary the amount of torque on the joint.

Where does it appear to be coming from? Front/rear left/right

heavymetals
07-13-13, 11:38 PM
Sounds like the warning tracks on the disc brakes.

Pads could be ready to be replaced.

WarrenMRogers
07-14-13, 08:45 AM
It seems to be coming from the front left. I intend to check the pads but they are awfully new for them to be worn.

WarrenMRogers
07-14-13, 09:45 PM
Inspection reveals that my pads are in near to new condition as well as my gear oil. I changed the gear oil with royal purple about three months and six thousand miles ago so I made sure it was topped off. I get a lot of gear whine normally so im certain that this is something different. I intend to take it in tomorrow @ lunch...